How should a fresher find jobs?

by Manshu on July 22, 2010

in Articles

I am getting an increasing number of emails from freshers who are looking to find jobs on OneMint, and since that is obviously not possible – I am going to write about the steps a fresher should take to find jobs.

I know that this is not relevant for most of our community members here, but if you have some advice for freshers, please leave a comment below.

fresher jobs

First day at job

Are there enough jobs for freshers?

I think this is the question that looms large for all freshers who are not placed from the campus. If you don’t get placed right out of campus, then things are going to be a bit harder for you, but that doesn’t mean it is the end of the world. I think back to my own placement days and think of all the needless drama that unfolded in those few days.

The important thing to remember is that it is only a matter of time that you get a job. It can be a bit depressing at times, but keep your chin high and keep looking. Though things can may look gloomy now, in a career that will span for tens of years – a few months here and there won’t matter much.

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s look at what you should do in order to find a job.

What is the first thing a fresher should do to find a job?

The first thing is to make a resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) for yourself. You will need a resume to approach people who are in a position to give you a job. This has to be the first thing you do. There are several sample fresher resumes online, and you can model your own on any of these.

There is no point in contacting recruiters if you can’t leave your resume with them. If you don’t have one, then write one now.

Contact all friends and relatives

Finding your first job can be intimidating, and you want all the help you can get. Place calls to all your friends and relatives who could help you out. Send them your resumes and ask for help.

If you know people who are working for big companies, send your resume and ask them to upload it on their company job portal, and keep their eye open for walk – in interviews, and other company emails about jobs that match your educational background.

Get a decent email id

It is time to get a real email id now. You will need to email several recruiters, companies, friends and such, and you don’t want your potential recruiter to see that you thought the word freak would look cool as part of your email address.

Upload your resume on several job portals

Sending emails to random site owners will not help freshers (or anyone for that matter) in landing a job much, but creating an account on a job portal can go very far.

There are several popular sites that help you find jobs in India, and you should create an account in all of those. Here are some popular Indian job sites.

Times Jobs

Monster India

Naukri

NCR Job Portal: This is a newer website, whose founder reached out to me.

Apply jobs through these portals

Once you create the account, the next step is to search for jobs related to your educational background. Put in a few keyword variations and apply for the jobs that appear in the results. Persevere at this, keep applying for jobs and actively check your email for replies. When you get a reply, respond promptly and don’t forget to attach your resumes and answer all the questions they ask in their email.

Keep an eye out for walk in interviews

Companies conduct walk in interviews for freshers, and although these can get crowded, it is a good place to hunt for jobs and increases your employment chances.

Conclusion

It can get a little daunting to finish your education and find yourself without a job, but remember that this situation is only temporary, and eventually you will find something which will be a good stepping stone for your career. Follow these tips, and all the best!

Image by Nicolas Karim

Anuroop July 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Even though it takes time to get jobs in IT as a fresher.My suggestion to IT freshers to go for a course like .net,java or mainframe after completing the last semester exams.This will really help to get good training in one technology,meet lot of programmers(juniors and seniors),prepare for interview.I also suggest to study daily until u get the job.Last thing which i would like to mention is Not to wait for companies to give you training on technologies,companies always prefer who knows the subject already.Even though u dont get job from college placement,i would say u can get job in 6 months if you are proactive and do some course.Please always begin with an end in mind.

I hope Manshu will agree.

Good Luck in your job search and Have a Good Day.

Anuroop

Manshu July 24, 2010 at 8:32 am

I agree with you completely Anuroop, it makes sense to study while you have time on your hands, and take the initiative and get trained as well. Getting trained on a specific technology will help freshers get an edge over other guys who don’t undergo that kind of training.

Thanks for the great comment!

Squamble July 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

You can also try out http://jobs.squamble.com for jobs !

Manshu July 24, 2010 at 8:28 am

Are there a reasonable percentage of fresher jobs on your boards Chirag?

Squamble July 25, 2010 at 10:22 am

A few of them are yes.
Start up jobs. Will create a separate category soon for “Freshers Jobs” soon!

Manshu July 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Let me know when you are done; I’d like to link back to it.

neetu April 8, 2012 at 12:41 am

i am searching a good job too.please help me out I am 2011 passout just getting tensed.

Manshu April 9, 2012 at 3:30 am

Try creating a profile in sites like monster.com and naukri.com and search there – best of luck!

guna July 30, 2013 at 3:08 am

we have a opening International BPO opening fore freshers
kanyakumari

intersted candidates send resume

elshadaiguna@gmail.com
ph:9543572944

Stephen July 25, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I always urge high school seniors who are looking at colleges to consider the university’s career center– a strong career center can make finding a job much easier.

Unemployment is not all that bad…sometimes it’s an opportunity to start your own business.

Samarjeet Chauhan September 17, 2010 at 5:16 am

hi,
It’s a wonderful article for all the freshers who are looking to commence their Career, I confirmed huge opportunities for Fresher jobs in India from an interesting website Shine.com and also found numerous Jobs in India from these useful linkhttp://tiny.cc/a8tak or http://tiny.cc/fresherjobs

sk.khajamsthan September 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm

i can’t under stand how to search jobs

archana July 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

try your best in ur skilled level

irwin October 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm

its frusrtrating when u are alone

Nitika February 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I have done BSC( Maths Hons.) from Hindu College, Delhi and have done CFA from ICFAI but yet not got any job for last 2 years. Can any one help me.

prabhu tej March 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanx for your valuable words sir…i was bit depressed with my performance in placements held in our campus…as i culdnt get through any of it…..your words certainly boosted me up and nw i will struggle untill i get succeded

Manshu March 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

All the best – placements is not the end of the world, a lot of people get placed off campus and once you get the job it doesn’t matter where you got it from so don’t worry about that. Good luck.

Godwin June 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Hi, I am working as a project manager in a leading MNC. I can help you in getting job in IT industry. Please forward your resume to godwinaraj@gmail.com. I will call you and guide you.

archana July 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm

pls provide corect email id

pranav.t June 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm

It is really a nice article and very morale boosting ..
I am fresher BE electrical engineering Mumbai university, already have done the steps given ..and still waiting for the opportunity ..
I just want to know is it better to approach firms directly with a hard copy of resume instead of online approach ..because the small scale industries dont even bother to update their website?
Anybody can help me out ?or anybody having same experience? awaiting for rply.

archana July 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm

straigth walk in is best in several circumstances

archana July 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

i lost my ct and pwd of tcs.. im a B.tech student.. pls provide a solution for me

archana July 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

hw can i reback it

Prad September 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm

U might have the login details in ur email id..check it

Nishant Sharma August 23, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hello, i have done oracle 10g and right now preparing for OCE. I never gave any interview. And, i am very nervous. I just don’t know how to prepare and how to behave there. I have a good knowledge of sql and working on pl sql and admin 1&2.

Pratap Khushwah August 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I have completed B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering in 2012 from M.D.U,Rohtak and i am a fresher and looking for a job in automobile industry someone help me…..

anil kumar September 16, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I have completed B.com from D.U but not regular and now i am doing a job in Shoppers stop as a Cash officer but i am not happy with that job so i am looking for a job in A/C

arati September 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I am currently a B.E student learning E&C discipline.Can i apply for the jobs externally in B.E itself for the reputed companies?

Manshu September 29, 2012 at 5:15 am

It will be harder, but yeah you can apply.

samip October 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm

i passed btech from nit kurukshetra with backlogs losing one more year.missed the golden opportunity of campus placements..is there chance for someone like me

rakesh ranjan October 15, 2012 at 12:34 am

mba(finance) i am looking for thejob please help me.

purna chandra parida October 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I have passed PG but I was working in a consultancy office in Delhi for the last 11 years in various incentive scheme like DEPB, DFIA, FPS, FMS, advance licence , EPCG licence from the Office of Jt, DGFT
I also have experience in store incharge in building construction work
with computer knoledge

Rajender Kumar October 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

i am graduate and have done hardware and networking diploma…can anyone help me plsssssssss

ogbonna ifeoma November 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

i am a BSC holder in economic looking for a job

SURESH KUMAR February 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

i am completed my BE in electronics and communication branch. i looking for good job please help me…

RAJENDRA February 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm

hi….
i am rajendra i am completed my BE in ECE branch…
please help me to get a good job.

gershom May 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

i’ve tried all this since 1 year still no job, why dont someone give reference for a job

meenakshi May 6, 2013 at 2:54 pm

sir i have done my mba in finance and mkting and also completed my CFP,but still i am not gettimng appropriate job of my interes..help me plz

atul May 30, 2013 at 4:44 pm

today,no company recruits fresher . only campus and reference is done everywhere!!!! without refrence no job!!! this is india !!!!

vishnu June 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm

i have completed my UG in ece department now i am looking for job i tried most of online site and attended more interview but still i ‘m not get a job, can anyone tell me good online site for get fresher job?

manjuula August 8, 2013 at 2:16 pm

hi sir,
i have completed my b.e in instrumentation technology now i am searching for job ,will you please help me in finding jobs online or suggest me which field is good for working as fresher.

Anuj September 5, 2013 at 2:46 am

Sir i am fresher . Completed bba so i am serch job for marketing so plz give your advice

Aksa October 11, 2013 at 12:05 am

hi sir, i have recently completed my msc (cs) in 2013, and also did the course of .net, searching for job, one problem is dat i have 8 years gap after 12th(HSC), and i heard gap is not allowed in mnc. what to do now, suggest me something how can i get the good job of software developer.

ravi July 13, 2014 at 11:42 pm

my aggregate is poor….I completed B.E. in ec branch… does aggregate matters in getting job??

Nithya.A September 24, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I’m a B.Tech Food Technology graduate and a fresher. Is it possible for me to get job in IT field, if I take lessons on programming languages seperately.

c m sandya October 10, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Hi.I completed iam fresher pls help me iam fresher

Ankit October 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I am looking the candidates (Male and Female) for a MNC offices in Noida and Gurgaon on immediate basis.

Please find below the requirement. Interested candidates can send their profile on the below mention email id.

Education- Graduate
Excellent Communication Skills
Salary Scale- 2 Lakh to 4 Lakhs per annum + Incentive
Rotational Shift
Cab Available
Food Available for Free of Cost

Kindly send me your profile on m.ankit25@gmail.com

Ankit

Reena November 11, 2014 at 12:05 pm

This is to inform you all that you need to attend the interview process with us for immediate openings for marketing and Electronics engineer/technician on an express basis. Walk-in on Sundays(valid till November).
Eligible Branch : BE/BTECH/BCA/ MCA/MBA/DIPLOMA/12th .
Company profile:
Tricon telecom pvt. Ltd has been in the field of communication since last about 25 years situated in delhi/jammu & bareilly .our company is having own production with our company and R&D of intercom systems .sell own product by our own company sales executives.
KEY FUNCTION:::
1: Marketing / Sales & Marketing .
Candidates for this position should have Good Communication Skills/Leadership Qualities and two wheeler would be most preferable.

2: Electronics engineer /technician: Installation & Servicing of equipment.
Candidate interested in working effetiently .diploma holders and EC branch engineer are most preferable.
ou need to carry the following with you:
1. A Copy of your latest, updated Resume
2. 2 Passport size photographs
3. 10th/12th/graduation marksheets.
Interview Time :11 am to 5pm.

Contact Person: REENA (HR)
TRICON TELECOM (P) LTD.

Contact Number 9899859293/0-22157291/92/93.(Call and get your interview scheduled