How often does India win when Sachin scores a century?

by Manshu on March 21, 2011

in Opinion

There is this thing I keep hearing that Sachin’s centuries are not all that lucky for India, and we generally lose when he scores them.

A lot of people have this impression, and I thought I’d dig deeper and figure out if there’s anything behind this.

The data that I found surprised me quite a bit.

Sachin’s centuries only result in about 69% wins for India whereas Sehwag’s 14 centuries have led to 13 wins!

Similarly the winning percentage for Ponting, Jayasuriya and Ganguly who have scored many more than Sehwag is much higher as well.

Looking at all the data – I see that there is a simple explanation, but I won’t spoil the fun for you and let you enjoy this little graphic with a lot of other interesting stats as well.

So, you see – it just happens that Sachin has scored more of his centuries against tougher opponents, and while his centuries have in general markedly improved India’s winning chances; those chances were so low to begin with that it gives a semblance that India doesn’t win as often as it should.

I’ve taken the data from How Stat and CricInfo.

Hemant Beniwal March 21, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Awesome Manshu :)

Manshu March 22, 2011 at 4:56 am

Thanks Hemant.

compaq March 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm

what the hell difference does it make to your life if sachin scores centuary or not or if india wins or not.all of them are playing just for money
i thought this is a very relevant forum that just discusses finance.watching cricket and then discussing it is a sheer wate of time .just think if india just dont watch cricket
and do some financial and health education in intresting way
i know this wont make any difference to any one bcause human brains are designed to go for short term thrill from whereare they get

Manshu March 22, 2011 at 4:58 am

Relax buddy – everyone needs to take a break once in a while. I like to watch cricket and thought this was a worthwhile stat to explore a little deeper. That’s all.

Prabhu March 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

So, all entertainers risk their Life to create a career according to their likes. Also no one ever will know whether they will be selected to play for India. So only the deserving gets a chance to play. So deserving candidates should be allowed to earn.

ojasvi March 31, 2011 at 6:31 am

^compaq
It makes a differnce. Its not always about money my friend , if it was money Sachin was playing for, he would have stopped long back. Its about love and passion , determination and hard work.
Honestly I am not sure watching cricket is a waste of time or not but watching Sachin is never a waste of time. Every runs he scores inspires me that I can do better, I can do better even if the odds are highly againest me and all I require for that is hardwork.
There is a reason we 1 billion Indians go gaga over this man. This is nation’s respect to a man who made himself by a will of iron and countless times stood like a lone warrior againest all odds.

sss October 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Why do you guys exaggerate about sachin so much…he is just a normal human being with good batting skills, nothing moree…why the hell do we indians equate everything to God…we are the worst hero worshipers…also your comment ‘we 1 billion Indians go gaga over this man’ is incorrect…why do you exaggerate again…not everyone in india watches cricket…there is so much poverty still…and certainly and a minority of fanatics who go gaga about sachin…because of their ignorance…grow up India….

Dnyansagar Patil January 22, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Do you work for free in your Industry. if yes then you are the right person to blame them, b’coz i don’t think a person other than you can feed them for Playing cricket for free of cost wasting all their Important time in life which can be easily spent with their families unlike you. If you can’t do anything please allow the others to step up. don’t be jealous of cricketers as they earn so high. whether they win or loose they deserve every bit of it.

Kautuk bhatnagar August 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm

That was an awesome front Dnyansagar….You said every word perfectly…I thoroughly agreed with you.

prashant April 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

u r right

Ahmed November 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Playing for money?well of course.Do you work for your organization for free? Earning money is not a big task..even people in jail earn money and moreover a bar dancer earns money too.But they don’t have respect in society.Whereas Sachin has earned both.& too be more specific he has earned respect and trust & faith of lovers more than his money & wealth.

compaq November 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

cricket is dead game globally 8-10 countries played in 1983 still a same number.so globally criket brings no recognisation to india.and wasting time for a BCCI PLANNED and highly advertised mass cocaine.sachin is just a small pawn of this big dirt of mass cocaine called criket where beneficiary is bcci and to some sort cricket players who mindlessly advertise to reap the the benefit of this massive euphoria criket creates.end watcher gets very short term excitemnt and hours of his work and energy lost first watching and discussing then for hours.life is short be hero yourself rather than worshiping someone else.

Ramesh March 22, 2011 at 4:15 am

please take it easy. everyone has his own way of getting thrills, entertainment and enjoyment. Let it be.

we can not be immersed in finances 24/7. we also need to relax and rejuvenate the way we like and read what we like. no one can force us to read what we donot like.

personally I enjoyed reading the above. good job One Mint.

Manshu March 22, 2011 at 4:59 am

Thanks Ramesh – yeah this is a fun post – a break – I’m just taking a stat and looking at the data one level deeper.

Indian Thoughts March 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

OMG.. why this outburst by some commentor. Isn’t this your blog and you can write about anything you feel like?

Anyhow, I really liked this post. I always fight with my DH over same thing. Team wins matches. Its not sachin’s fault if he plays well and rest all team behaves like a cycle stand (hopefully this is not sidhu’s phrase). I am fwding this post to him right away. :)

Manshu March 22, 2011 at 3:58 pm

About the cycle stand – let me give you some numbers regarding that – in 7 out of these 14 losses, Sachin has scored more than the other 10 batsmen combined!

More power to you now :)

Makar March 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

Wow!! Very interesting post and good graphic, good work.

Manshu March 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Makar!

Vijay March 22, 2011 at 11:48 am

Dear Manshu,
I agree that this is your blog and you have the freedom to write what you want but i felt that it would have been better if you could stick to what it stands for……

Manshu March 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Dear Vijay – first of all, let me say how happy I am that readers feel strongly about the site and what should feature on it. That is a great feeling.

Now, if you see the FB likes on this post you will see that it has many more Likes than the next most popular post (which also happens to be non finance related).

So, you see that a lot of people do find this post useful, and are enjoying it which is what my goal is.

As the readership grows it’s only natural that not every post is useful to everyone, but I do hope that overall the site is useful to its subscribers.

I regularly write about non finance subjects like Gmail tips, book reviews, ideas on getting iPhone and last week I wrote about how to set up a website.

I write about these topics because people who’re interested in finance are interested in other things as well, and often I find that I can add something to what’s already available online.

In this case – there is this interesting question about why the winning % from Sachin’s century is lower when compared with others, and I didn’t find a reasonable answer to that anywhere else and thought I’d give it a try myself.

When I did find a reasonable answer I thought of sharing it with others.

That’s all there is to it, and judging by the reaction a lot of people did like it.

The site never stood for *only* finance and from the beginning I’ve been writing about other subjects, and that will continue to happen in the future as well.

Again, let me say how thankful I am to you for pointing your displeasure because that’s a compliment in itself.

Manish March 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I really liked the level of details. I had one question though .. Hows sachin’s century or india’s win effects market index? I know its kind of funny but I read somewhere that market actually reacts to century or a win. Do throw some light on the same…

Hemant Beniwal March 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm

You got your next topic “Hows Sachin’s century or India’s win effects market index?”

Manshu March 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

No, I think the next topic is Correlation Does Not Imply Causation :-)

Manshu March 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hey Manish – thanks for your comment and appreciation. I really don’t think there is anything to see there; I mean even I’ve heard that but I don’t think those two events are correlated at all. Even if its statistically significant I don’t think that really implies causation. If I see someone else do that research I’ll share that link, but I won’t do that myself.

Ramesh March 23, 2011 at 4:20 am

yes, this is purely a finance topic and not cricket and will also make a hell of a difference in the lives of those who are immersed in finance and rarely watch cricket.

Of course there would still remain a few individuals who may think otherwise, depending upon their perception of life and progress of individuals in terms of wealth and even of countries
in respect of their GNP or GNH (Gross National Happiness) or SWI (Subjective Wellbeing Index)!

G Shanbhag March 23, 2011 at 5:04 am

Manshu,
Got to appreciate the way you have presented this.
G

Manshu March 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Thanks very much – my favorite part is the circles against the country flags – the size is dependent on the number of centuries so 9 centuries result in a 90 pixel circle, and 5 results in only 50.

Sandriano March 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hello Manshu,

Very nice article. Good to see such offbeat articles for a change. Very well presented. Thank you.

Another interesting dimension to your figures could be the no. of centuries that he has scored outside sub-continent (viz. NZ, Aus, Eng, SA and WI only). I think they are not significant in number in comparison to the no. of games that he has played in these locations. You could also split the 33 centuries between the those scoered outside sub-continent vs those in.

Sandriano

Manshu March 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Hi Sandriano – To be honest – the thought of where he hit his centuries didn’t come to me at all. A very quick look at the Wiki page shows me about 20 out of the total came outside of subcontinent. Do you know of a way to compare how many matches he played in the subcontinent versus outside?

You can look at the data yourself as well, as I glanced through it very quickly and might have made an error.

Prashanth March 26, 2011 at 10:21 am

Id like to see one more stat:

Sachin Vs Ganguly Vs Shewag in matches that they all played.

MS March 28, 2011 at 3:32 am

super stuff!

Bihari March 28, 2011 at 7:12 am

Manshu,

Great article. But I see this as another Sachin worship article. Even though your article is well researched and I commend you on your initiative, all it does is lay bare the selfish nature of Indian cricket where the likes of Sachin et al are more concerned for their personal records sometimes at the cost of team performance. Granted Sachin has scored 99 centuries and most of them against strong teams. But your definition of strong teams includes all major test playing nations! So by weak teams you mean Ireland, Bangladesh, and the like? Is that really bragging rights for Sachin?

I respect Sachin for what he is – probably the best cricket player we will see. But he is definitely not a match winner. What good are his 99 centuries if they cannot guarantee India a victory? In the end it is all about winning records – there are many players of the game, but the ones who shine are those that win.

The irony of the situation is that we Indians will forever remember Sachin’s records (which we should) but always ignore India’s winning percentages. As always we will be individualistic in our behavior and outlook at the cost of national pride!

Alas, India shall never produce a Ricky Ponting coz what matters in India n cricket are the personal records and endorsement deals at the cost of team performance :(

Manish March 28, 2011 at 8:13 am

As per you ricky pulled all victories on his own?? lol…
Australia is never considered as one man army coz it always had bowlers, fielders and batsman to support ur so called match winner Ricky… whereas india is still lacking the so called bowling line up to support Sachin’s match winning 100s.
Now when australia is running through a rough patch u can see ricky’s 100 too fetch nothing.. so according to you ricky is also now only playing for records..
haha…
If you are comparing two different class of players… from two different countries with two different team mates… Cricket is a team sport do remember…

Tada

Mani March 31, 2011 at 2:52 am

Nice data

Ajit March 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Great job Manshu. Especially pertinant given the final in 2 days. Outstanding job with this research here.

ajit April 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

great work buddy… some one has to tell this..

abhijeet haval April 9, 2011 at 3:04 am

Great job Manshu. Hats off to you…
This is the article I was looking for a long time…
@Manish : Nice explanation about comparison between Sachin and Ricky. I think both are great players but winning requires team effort. Everybody can see what happened to Ricky’s batting and captainship after retirement of Gilchrist, Heyden, Mcgrath and Shane Warne… but I will say still ricky ponting is graet batsmen and Sachin is greatest….

gopala bhat k April 9, 2011 at 3:52 am

wonderful analysis. Enjoyed going throuh it.

MP160 April 16, 2011 at 7:07 am

Can some one pull together the very same statistics from 2005. ( No Doubt he was great player before 2005) It proves what Sachin century means and what the Great Player ” Contribution” to the team.

Prasanna April 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Hats off to u man , really Luv u for writing such a superbbbbbbbbbbb article . Wonderfully analyzed . Can I post this article as a note on my FB status.
Thank u for writing this Superb, fantabulus, mindblowing article.

Manshu April 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thank you, and please feel free to post on your status – I’ll be delighted!

sorabh April 16, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Manshu – where is the facebook Like button on this article ? i want to post its link to my fb page..

gr8 article btw… i was thinking about this when sachine scored the century in T20 and their team lost , one of my FB friends was quick to declare, sachin scores team loses…. i always felt that sachin always scores but the perception that we have is India should always win and esp when sachin scores….
regards
Sorabh

Manshu April 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

The like button as at the end of the post…alternately you could just post the link as a status message with your comments, which is what I saw a few of my cousins do after the recent T20 match :)

DocWB April 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

That is one of the best analysis I have ever ever seen. You have presented the data very well. People need to be sensible enough to understand one basic fact that Cricket is no ‘one man’ show! There are 10 other guys also who need to contribute for the result people usually want to see. Statistical debate is more welcome than emotional outbursts. You have done that… Here is my small effort, rather specific one, for those who come up with such mean arguments that his centuries are jinxed! Over all only 13 centuries out of 48 have resulted in losses. What have they got to say about the rest 35?

So I have gone deeper and analysed each 13 of them to see WHO really was at fault.. Pls give it a read…

Once again congratulating you on your superb job! keep writing… take care!

Asiantv May 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Very good!!

If Sachin scores a century he gets blamed. If he doesnt score runs ,
he gets blamed.

Amazing how obsessed are people with sachin.

Amit.

kedar October 14, 2011 at 5:30 am

hey nice article buddy..me being an ardent sachin fan loves to read stuff like this…n ODI loses also include ones like the 143 knock in sharjah ..a great knock which got india into the finals but india lost that match….knocks like those n the 175 against aus at hyd….another great knock..

n surprisingly i see some one calling ricky ponting a match winner….dude i must say thats the funniest thing i ever read on net…u can say laxman or kallis…or for that matter kumara sangakarra..but not ponting dude…just one ODI ton in that 2003 wc finals n that too after a great start by gilchrist n wen the scorecard ws over 100 in just 13 overs n this man comes a scores a ton..?…is that making u say with pride that he is a match winner? lol…gambhir scored a magnificent 96 under pressure in the world cup fianls of 2011…so shall we compare gambhir as of of the greatest batsman to ever play the game n of the biggest match winners of india? n similarily madan lal took 3 wickets on the final of 1983 wc…so madan lal becomes the greatest match winner for india in the bowlers section…GO GET A LIFE ….NEVER judge any cricketer just on world cup final performances….ponting just got lucky that day bcoz he just needs to face cheap 2 nd grade indian bowling n 3 rd class indian fileding.

wen ponting scores a ton ..mc grath ..shane warne…gillespie..bret lee..take wickets…..
wen ponting scores a ton…he gets support from gilchrist…hayden…clarke…

did u ever see australian batting collapsng??? 8 wickets in 29 runs? lol it happens with india….the 2011 wc match against south africa…that ws a brilliant sachin’s 100 against south africa…but the team collapsed n made a just megre total of 296 which shud easily hav been around 340…see things like these dont happen with aus bcoz it always as a team perfprms better than india….

it wud be intertesting how ponting scored 100′s now….bcoz aus now is almost like india….see the diference in the wc quarter finals…..lol ponting scored a 100 n aus lost….this is wht makes the difference buddy.

Michael January 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm

What nonsense you are writing. On the biggest stage many players want to perform and give their best of their lives and very few get to do that. It was once in a life time opportunity for Ponting and he grabbed it and you think that it was fluke. Dude scoring 40 test centuries and 30 one day centuries does not happen just by chance. We as a cricket crazy nation had produced lot of good players, but the fact is that we never collectively played as team whereas Australia has always performed as a Team. A batsmen greatness is assessed when he rises to the occasion and performs for the country. Unfortunately, Sachin was never able to perform at the highest level. That is why it took him 20 long years to be a part of world cup winning team and in that also his contribution in finals was negligible, whereas Ponting as a captain gave his country 2 world cups. Also just check the win / loss record of India / Australia whenever Sachin / Ponting scored century in both format of games. The result is crystal clear. Ponting is way ahead as far as Win / Loss of Team is concerned.

raghu October 20, 2011 at 9:45 am

sachin is always great……. the people who didn’t have cricket knowledge they only said if sachin hit centuary then india loss. but sachin is one of the best batsmen for indian cricket. now also .be proud of indian all records are belongs to only one man that is sachin (india).if sachin is in the strike then his partner also score well sachin motivate them also.

Saurabh November 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm

nice blog.great effort put into making all these stats and appreciate the effort you put into collecting those stats in first place buddy

sachin November 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

SACHIN IS GREAT GTEAT AND GREATEST CRICKETER .

HE SCORES 99 CENTURIES NOT OUT AND I AM SURE NO BODY WILL BEAT THIS RECORED STILL THE UNIVERSE IS THERE . THIS WILL BE A WORLD RECORD FOR EVER AND EVER .

KEEP MY WORDS

33 MATCHS WIN OUT OF 48 . MANY MATCHES SINGLE HANDEDLY . EXAMPLE SAHARJA FINAL WIN . 15 MATCHES LOSS BECAUSE ONLY SACHIN PLAYS AND REST PLAYERS JUST DO FORMALITIES . 2011 LEAK MATCH WITH ENGLAND AND SOUTH AFRICA EVERY BODY KNOWS THE REAL CULPRITS .

Michael January 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm

No doubt he holds the records for most nos of centuries in both form of cricket, but in real sense it does not have any meaning as most of the time it did not give India the victory. I do not remember Sachin ever playing a knock of his life when India needed the most. The stats of current generations 3 great players will tell the facts.

In test match out of 51 centuries that Sachin scored, 11 losses, 20 victories and 20 drawn test. Of these 6 victories came against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. In one day, he has 48 centuries and India lost 28 times. If you compare his record with Ricky Ponting, then Ponting has scores 40 centuries and 29 resulted in Wins, 7 drawn test and 4 losses. In one day Ponting scores 30 centuries Australia won 25 times. Even Kallis record is better than that of Sachin’s.

So Simply scoring centuries and creating records amounts to greatness or contributing to team victory consistently amounts to greatness? Sorry, Sachin, You may have the records, but you pale in comparision to players like Ricky and Kallis who have far better win / loss records recorded for their country when scoring century.

Jim March 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Isn’t cricket a team effort?
You talk about Ponting winning two world cups for Australia but did he win them single handed? He had the whole team backing him up. The Aussie bowling attack was the best in the world at that time. They had in Gilchrist a wicketkeeper who could destroy any attack…
The same is the case with Kallis. I would consider Kallis a bigger contributor to his team’s success because he also contributed with the ball in a significant manner.

aaa March 18, 2012 at 7:47 am

abe what r u writing about sachin, they even can’t think of such milestone which he has registered

Johar March 22, 2012 at 10:48 am

Well Done Michael……This is obviousely more detailed and specific analysis.Sachin has such a greaet record but he is the only among great players who played for centuries not for the team win.Recent example of the defeat given by Bangladesh……Sachin playes 82 dot balls…..takes almost half the overs of the inning (25 overs) and made only 114 runs. I can go on to count such kind of innings but there is no use.It is fact that sachin playes for himself rather than played for team.

basil January 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

good job bro….its absolutely true facts.

Shrinivas January 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

Good job – analysis and presentation. I am not a big cricket fan any more, but I agree Sachin is unfairly criticized. He is one of the last few with real love, passion for the game along with integrity and dedication to his profession. He has unfortunately shouldered hopes of a nation, despite this burden he has performed exceptionally well. That character alone is enough to make him a real role model for all of us. I also agree that he rallies and binds the nation like only a few can do in India.

Aditya February 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm

SACHIN IS THE GREATEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME. MANY INDIAN PEOPLE DO NOT REALISE IT BECAUSE TODAYHE IS PLAYING FOR OUR TEAM & NATION IF HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED FOR ANY OTHER COUNTRY THEN WE WOULD HAVE PRAISED HIM

AS PER I HAVE OBSERVED AND WHEN THE QUESTION IS ABOUT SACHIN’S CENTURYIS LUCKY FOR INDIA OR NOT I THINK THAT WHEN SACHIN HITS A CENTURY AT THAT TIME INDIAN TEAM IS UNDER PRESSURE AND NOBODY ELSE OTHER THAN SACHIN IS ABLE TO FACE THE BOWLER & SO IT RESULTS IN SACHIN’S CENTURY BUT INDIA’S LOST

Abhishek February 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Nice article. Also I think that the stats for Pakistan play a key role. Sachins centuries have been ineffective against Pakistan which might have had more lasting negative memories which added to the notorious notion. Also I can count atleast 10 instances where Sachin scored century and made it almost to the win and the entire team just buckled under pressure.

Abhishek

Pritesh March 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Really nice article buddy but have you considered whenever Sachin scored 100 in winning cause, there are others played around him to make sure India win. He lacks match winning capability what Lara and Inzy had. How many times he play when India need it?

Sofia March 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I wish him Best of luck , and wish his 100th century comes up against Pakistan and not the Bangladesh as per the asia cup fixtures. :)

Santosh Rajput March 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Great work Manshu!!
Your this article is really very nice.
Sachin plays for nation and he is the greatest cricketer that we have witnessed.
Congrats Sachin for 100th ton….:):)

HABIB KHAN March 17, 2012 at 4:05 am

I think this is wrong statement, ” everytime Tendulkar scores India never wins.” The right statement is compare to Ricky Ponting, Jaysuriya, Ganguly and Sehwag’s Centuries, Tendulkar’s Centuries aren’t really effective. Here is the stats for it. Australia wins 86% when Ricky score centuries, Sri Lanka wins 89% when JaySuriya makes his centuries, India wins 93% when Sehwag makes his centuries. India wins ONLY 69% when TENDULKAR makes centuries. So the point being is if you compare other world class players with Tendulkar then you see the % is very low. I guess thats why there is a perception going on about India loss Vs Tendulkar Century. :-)

shanker March 17, 2012 at 5:24 am

Please do a similar caculation form Rahul Dravid, and a few bowlers. It will be nice to see who did a more value add to the Indian team rather than score centuries. And also who made most centuries when they are not openers would be an interesting fact, particularly 3 down order and if possible 1 down, 2 down, as well.

Aditya Prasad March 17, 2012 at 8:29 am

Wow! Never saw this post! Amazing is the word!

Manshu March 19, 2012 at 3:43 am

Thanks Adi :-)

debashish March 17, 2012 at 11:30 am

grt work manshu:)

debashish March 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

grt work man…simply awsum MANSHU
:):):):):)

prasanjeet March 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wohhhhh……………….What a strategic report provided by you. Thanks a lot for such type excellent job.

Suresh Jonna March 25, 2012 at 10:15 am

Great eye opener

Prasad April 22, 2012 at 4:23 am

Wow!! Simply Superb!!

Aman June 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm

thanx fr this data….

kudos to sachin….!!!!!

sachin rocks.!!!

ASHISH July 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Some Peoples Often Said that When Sachin Score Century We Loss that Match and also says that Sachin Centuries are not lucky for India These Pepoles Thinking is very Wrong I am not Agree to Such Statement Bcoz When We Want to Win The Match Our Batting Bowling and Fielding All Three Things Must be Very Strong If Our All thease things are Strong Only Then We Can Win The Match If We Have Good Batting Line up But Lack of good Bowlers then We Cant Win Any Match Because wining The Match means The Fulfilment of Minimum 2 Imp Thing First of Batsman[ to Set maximum Target before Opponent] and Second of Bowlers [ To Take Wickets And Save The Target Created By Batsman] Then In Such Condition If Batsman Fulfill His Responsiblity of Setting Huge Target Before Oponent Team By Scoring Maximum Runs Then Number 2 Responsiblity Will be Of Only Bowlers to Take Wicket And Save Target And If Bowlers Could not Fulfil This Duty then We Cant Blame Any Batsman For loss of Match or We Cant Say them that Your Hundred Is Unlucky For India[Like People Always Says About Sachin]My Topic was of Sachins 100 People Always have Wrong Thinking That When Sachin Hit Century India Loss the Match I am Totally Disagree to this Statement Becoz Out of Sachin 100 Centuries 53 are Matchwining Hundred But Another 47 in which 25 lost and 22 draw Out Of thease 47 Hundred Maximum Hundred are Being Waisted By Indian Bowlers due to their Bad BowlingBecause With the Help Of Sachin Hundreds Many times India Had Set The Target of More Than 250 to 350 run in ODI But Indian Bowlers Waist Their Hundreds Many times Becoz they Fail to Take Wickets or to Save Targets Created With the Helps of Sachin Century Best Example of this is Sachin 100 th ton vs Bangladesh Remember 290 Target Was not Bad as we Think But Indian Bowlers Fail to Take Wicket and Save The Target and We Lost That MatchSimilerely In Test Matches Many times Indian Bowlers Fails To Save The Huge Target Created By Team India In Which Sachin Hit Centuries Finaly Thease Test Matches Comes To Draw Or LostI Dont Want to Say that All 47 Hundred Are Waisted By Bowlers But Out Of Sachin 47 Maximum Centuries are Waisted By Indian Bowlers Everytime When They Fail to Take wickets and To Save The Target Wheather In Odi Or Test So Dont Give Such Untrue Statement That Sachin Centuries Are Not Lucky For India and Dont Blame Him For Any Loss Because He Has Been Performing His Duty of Scorring Maximum Run From 22 Year Which Is Impossible For Any Other BatsmanIf Sachin Had Made thease 100 Ton In Austrelian Batting Line UpSachin Can Have 78 Wining Hundred like [Out of Ponting 71centuries 56 wining hundred means 56/71*100 =78.88% wining Percentage] Because Sachin 100 th ton+ Ausie Bowling Attack = 78 % Wining Percentage Of Sachin Tendulkar HundredIf You Check The Score Card of Sachin 100 Centuries Matches[List of international cricket centuries by Sachin Tendulkar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia](Search By Above Keywords In Google Search Box)Open This Site and Check Reference In which 105 Links are given In Which 6 th Links is Score Card Of Sachin 1 st Century and 105 th Link is of 100 th International Century Of Master Check Thease 100 Link(Scorecard of 100 Centuries Matches) You Will Be Noted That Sachin Perform His Responsiblity 100 times PerfectelyIn Which 53 Times match won Because Of Good Batting Bowling and Fielding And Out of 47 th Time Most Times India lost the Match or Match Comes to Draw Only Because In That Matches Our Bowling & Fielding Was Too Much Bad and Poor That We Fails to Take Wicket and Save Targets and Finally We Lost or Draw that MatchI Feel Very Bad If India Had Good Bowlers Like Austrelia Tendulkar Had 78% match wining Hundred Like Ponting 56 Out of 71 So Please Dont Give Such Coment On Tendulkarand Oh God Please give India Brilliant Bowlers Like Brilliant Batsman Tendulkar

Karthik January 28, 2013 at 8:49 am

What a disgusting abuse of statistics to defend Sachin Tendulkar on a topic where the statistics don’t provide him a defense.

What the heck is that “78%, 60%” table? Tendulkar has been opening the batting longer than others. More opportunities at using team resources maximally.

The topic is NOT how often does Sachin score a century against good teams.

The topic is NOT “does Sachin scoring a century improve the teams’ chances of winning”: those statistics match the century statistics of most other players as well: when they score a century, the team’s win rate goes up more often than not.

The topic is: does Sachin waste team resources (batting overs) to get to landmarks (centuries) at the cost of the team’s objective (to win the game)?

The first statistic you presented is damning in measuring that: quite rightly so, because Tendulkar has, throughout his career, wasted team resources to get to centuries, and it was only a matter of time before it cost, and it cost many times. The relatively lower win/loss ratio for Sachin’s centuries is the statistic that demonstrates this best.

Shiv Kukreja November 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm

In his second last International Cricket match, Sachin has taken a wicket on the fourth delivery of his first over. I think now you should write a post – “How often does India win when Sachin takes a wicket?”. :-)

Manshu November 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Did India win or lose that one?

Shiv Kukreja November 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hey Manshu, I am talking about today’s test match between India and West Indies. Sachin bowled two overs and took a wicket on his fourth delivery today.

compaq November 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

the very existence of this article proves that sachin played for 1.records 2.money and ads 3.his family 4. congress 5. country in decresing order. so bharat ratna is degraded by not given to dhyanchand as he brought 3 olympic gold to india in a more globally popular game mind it without money and ads india owes him a lot unlike sachin who is already overpaid