How to open a NPS account?

by Manshu on March 28, 2011

in Investments

One of the most frequent questions on the NPS post is how one can open a NPS account, and though things have improved in the past few months – most of the times opening a NPS account is not as easy as it should be.

I tried to look at the various ways you can open a NPS account, and thought I’d make a list of NPS account opening options I’m aware of. In doing this research I found that there is reasonably good information about where you can go to open an account, but it’s just that it’s not very well known.

For instance, on the PFRDA website – you can see the number of PoP-SP (Point of Presence Service Providers) (pdf) and it’s quite clear that SBI with 3,820 registered branches is quite clearly in the lead, followed by Alankit Assignments with 890 branches, India Post NPS Nodal Office with 807 branches and State Bank of Hyderabad with 714 branches.

This is an interesting stat, and the PDF itself has got a list of number of all PoPs, and gives an approximate idea of where you’re more likely get someone who can open an account for you.

With that said let’s take a look at the various options to open a NPS account.

Open a NPS Account with ICICI DIRECT

This is probably the easiest way to open a NPS account because if you have a ICICI DIRECT account, then you can log into your account and open a NPS account without any additional documentation. They don’t currently have the facility to open a Tier II account, but say that it will be introduced shortly.

I don’t know of any other online broker other than ICICI at this point in time that’s offering this service.

Open a NPS account through CAMS Online

CAMS is another registered PoP-SP that allows you to fill up the form online and enter information to open a NPS account.

This info was left by Dr. Shetti in a comment, and I’m not familiar with how the entire process looks like, so before you start entering the details there I suggest giving them a call and find out more.

Here is their contact information:

Point of Presence(POP)
Computer Age Management Services Pvt. Ltd.
PFRDA Unit
Rayala Towers, 158, Anna Salai
Chennai – 600 002.
Phone : 044 – 30212 636 / 662 / 678 / 789 / 808 / 900 / 987 / 989
Fax : 044 – 2841 1893
Email :pfrda@camsonline.com

If someone has first hand experience with this then please do leave a comment.

Go to a bank branch that’s a registered NPS PoP-SP

This is going to be the way most people open a NPS account – going to a bank branch and opening one. The trouble is that a lot of people find that when they go to the bank – the employees don’t even know what NPS is!

The PFRDA website has this excel sheet which has a list of all branches along with address and phone numbers where you can open a NPS account. So, if you’re in Gurgaon – you can just search for that in this file and it will show you the branch that’s present near you.

If you don’t have an ICICI Direct account and are interested in opening a NPS account, then this file should prove to be a good starting point for you as it will tell you where you can go and find some people who actually know what NPS is.

In due time – the number of branches will increase, and it will become easier to open an account, but till then some of you might have to struggle a little bit with this.

Atul March 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for putting the consolidated information together. Its really helpful.

Atul

Manshu March 29, 2011 at 6:47 am

Thanks for your comment Atul – were you looking to open an account or have already done so?

khalid March 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Nice research work for opening a NPS Account. Its a very good scheme by Government but not getting popularity among common people as it should have.

khalid

Manshu March 29, 2011 at 6:48 am

It’s early days still, but it’s picking up steam – esp. with all the new govt. employees getting this account the numbers are rising rapidly.

I see a lot of comments from employers who seem to belong to the unorganized sector interested in NPS so that’s good as well.

mithlesh March 29, 2011 at 12:33 am

I had a look at the returns of NPS by different fund managers and the equity based returns were really bad esp with SBI fund manager . returns in other options seems to be much better. I thought of opening an NPS account but i am not very happy with the performance really. I would probably wait till DTC kicks in to have another look at it.
btw for others interested in opening an account can have a look at http://www.fundsindia.com. I have a mutual fund account with them and they have NPS as well. ( note: I am just a customer of fundsindia)

Manshu March 29, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thanks for bringing this up – is the Funds India option totally online or how does it work? I think I should update my post with that info.

mithlesh March 29, 2011 at 10:15 am
Manshu March 29, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thank you so much!

mithlesh March 29, 2011 at 10:42 am

no probs!! I try to help poor investors like me (:)-) to make informed financial decisions with the little knowledge i have.

Amar via email March 29, 2011 at 5:54 am

Dear All,

I opened my NPS account with ICICI Bank, MG Road Branch, Bangalore.

But I found CAMS guys (Dickenson Road) much more knowledgeable than those at ICICI Bank. CAMS also offers ECS facility for NPS contributions.

Cheers,
Amar

Vijay March 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hi guys,
I recently opened an NPS Account through CAMS by going to their office although i had an ICICI Direct account. A few points to note.
1.The drawbacks of opening through an ICICI Direct account are that
a.You can’t open the Tier II Account (as pointed out earlier by Manshu)
b.You won’t get a PRAN (Permanent Retirement Account Number) Card although you will be given the number
c. You still will need to login through a separate website to view your NPS account details i.e you cannot do it through ICICI Direct i.e no added benefit of opening through ICICI Direct
2.ECS facility is available through CAMS
3.Unlike mentioned earlier in one of the posts, i was told that SBI guys were doing a pretty decent job and gave around 12% returns in the equity option
4.You need to submit a Cancelled Cheque for the ECS facility apart from Address Proof, PAN Card copy, Photos, Completed Appl Form, Cheque for initial payment etc…
5.When you are opening an account, don’t forget to ask for
a.ECS form
b.”Swavalamban’ form : As per the ‘Swavalamban Scheme’. the GOI will be chipping in Rs 1000/- every year for the first three years as their contribution and i was told that it was for five years for State Govt Employees. This scheme (for three years) was for all individuals – irrespective of their employment in Public / Private Sector – i was told.

Manshu March 29, 2011 at 11:06 am

Thanks Vijay – this is very useful information.

One thing that’s not clear to me is whether ICICI Direct is really a completely online option or not.

I mean if you don’t opt for ECS do you still have to mail some papers to them physically?

And really, I don’t see why anyone would avoid ECS, but I’m curious about whether they make you mail papers because of ECS or they will need it even otherwise.

Vijay March 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Dear Manshu,
From what i could understand, ICICI Direct is an Online option for ‘Applying for NPS’. However, for checking your NPS account, you still will need to log on to the website details given to you when you get your PRAN Card i.e T-Pin & I – Pin…So, i believe that ICICI Direct enables a large proportion of Demat account holders to apply for an NPS Account rather than take the trouble of going to a POP – SP. However, there are drawbacks as i have mentioned earlier.
If you don’t opt for ECS, payments have to made at regular intervals pref. Quarterly. This is done by filling up papers and attaching a Cheque for the same. The advantage over ECS is that, for those class of employees who are not sure of how much amount to deposit each time (for various reasons like unsure of pay, expenditure etc….), this is a better option as you deposit in your NPS account as much as you can afford to (ensuring that each deposit is not less than Rs 500 and Minimum deposit in your Tier I account every year is Rs 6000). And once you opt for ECS, you don’t have to mail papers.
It is better to make quarterly payments as they levy a charge for each transaction!!!! Monthly payments i believe, are possible at higher charges!!!

Manshu March 30, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Dear Vijay – those are very useful pointers – thank you for taking the time to share them.

Marut April 1, 2011 at 4:10 am

Can we open 2 nps account and second thing can we put topup amount also

mithlesh April 1, 2011 at 5:39 am

NO you can’t open two NPS accounts under your name .
Under NPS, there are two types of accounts
Tier I account and Tier II account

Tier I is mandatory and Tier II is optional (where you can redeem your investments whenver you want)

rajesh kumar singh February 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm

NPS lite

Manshu April 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Marut – why were you thinking of opening two accounts?

Sridhar April 4, 2011 at 4:43 am

I recently opened through CAMS Chennai but I do not think the online option works. They have the form online but you still have to visit their branch, handover documents cheque etc. It is straight forward and CAMS is doing it all the friendliness it warrants to do so. Take a BLACK PEN (and two copies each of required documents) with you when you go. ASK FOR SWAVALAMBAN declaration as well….I received the PRAN kit etc. within 10-15 days.

Manshu April 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Sridhar – Based on what readers are saying I think CAMS and ICICI Bank are offering good service for NPS. Did you try any other organization before CAMS?

JP PATTANAIK April 13, 2011 at 6:34 am

I just got my PRAN card. Now I want to invest through online payment. How do I do that. Can I register this as a Biller. I don’t have much information except the PRAN ID.

ECS I belive, there is a fixed commitment. When I pay my own, it will provide me flexible option to adjust my contibution.

Manshu April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm

ECS facility is present but I don’t know if that makes you liable for a fixed commitment; why is that though? I mean why would it make you liable for a monthly commitment or something like that. Where have you opened the account?

JP PATTANAIK April 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I have opened it thru ICICI Bank (One of the PoS). Say I want to register for online payment (like we register our credit card) what do I need. CRA has provided the PRAN Card, IPIN/TPIN..I tried contacting over the Toll Free No..but was not succesful reaching out anybody.

Manshu April 14, 2011 at 11:15 am

Sorry, but I’m not familiar with what needs to be done in your specific situation.

Chirag Vithlani April 27, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Opening an NPS account is very easy, just visit your neares Head Postoffice and get it opened.

Mihir May 16, 2011 at 3:38 am

Hi All,

I would like to ask whether the NPS scheme will gather steam post DTC, when the ELSS option will not be available anymore?
Also how advisable is it to invest in NPS, both for getting Tax deduction as well as Investing for retirement.
I had read in one research article that these schemes as of now are not doing well, some of them having -ve figures for last 3yrs returns.

Mihir

Manshu May 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Mihir – that will be anyone’s guess, and I personally feel that if have an option you can look at other avenues for investment till there is some more clarity on how and the NPS money will be invested for annuities, and the funds have a longer track record as well.

Mihir May 18, 2011 at 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply Manshu :).

Wait and watch will be the approach.

But until we discover that for NPS; we are going to be deprived of saving tax via Equity mode, which has generally given better returns and also safeguarded the invested money against Inflation.

Sridhar May 16, 2011 at 3:50 am

Thanks to Govt., I got my Rs.1ooo contribution by Govt. (for SWAVALAMBAN).

Manshu May 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Wow, first time someone has thanked the govt. for anything on this blog :)

Surya Prakash Loonker June 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

No one wants to promote this scheme as the commission is way too less. I have tried for last 6 months to get any agent to come and open 10 NPS Lite accounts for my driver, office boy, maid etc but no one will come. They will note even give forms or help fill the form up. I tried with Union Bank of India, South Indian Bank, UTI, several independent financial services agents/advisors.

Sridhar June 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Appreciate your interest… did you try CAMS, Chennai. They might help you… if not why not just visit their office and get it all done within 1-2 hours (take two sets of all address, ID proof, cancelled cheque, photo etc.).

kamesh July 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Is NPS is eligible for tax saving? i mean will it be part of 8o(c)

Pravin Misra July 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

How can I invest in NPS for getting pension at the age of 52 years. Is it possible to invest and at the same time get good pension. How to open NPS account? Is this facility available in PNB also.
Please guide

Pravin Misra

Manshu July 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Pravin,

Individuals who are trying to open this on their own are facing problems both at the time of opening an account, and then withdrawing money as well. I’d rather suggest you look at opening a fixed deposit with a bank, and buying some mutual funds to build a retirement corpus.

Sridhar July 20, 2011 at 6:54 am

You CANNOT get pension at 52. Pensionable age is 60 years. Under Tier II they give you certain withdrawal features which can be used any time.

Sridhar July 20, 2011 at 6:51 am

This is a very unfair and motivated statement, I think. At CAMS Chennai they were so friendly and got everything done very smoothly. As an investor all you have to do is take with you documentation (ID, address proof, photo etc. in two sets and a black pen) and make relevant choices on the form and sign and handover. You receive the kit within 15 – 20 days from the PRAN authorities and then you can keep track of NAV through online for both Tier I and II. Swambalan rebate of Rs.1000 that you get from Govt. is added benefit (for other Mutual Fund or any other option you would have rather lost this much money upfront, at the very minimum !)

If motivated commenters (who want NPS to increase commission, add more layers of agents etc.) are discouraging please do not accept it. See for yourself. Visit and take that effort, after all it is your money, you want pension and at the lowest possible loss to yourself (through fees to agents etc.). So, take that little effort and make sure you get it.

Manshu July 20, 2011 at 7:17 am

Sridhar – . This is a blog and I don’t sell any products, and neither am I an agent of anything. My statement is based on the fact that people are generally facing troubles in opening a NPS account, and when they eventually do open one, they are having trouble closing it or getting access to the money they have. One individual who tried to get his funds got a response that there is no clarity on how funds can be accessed to get retirement.

You can read the comment here:

Please understand that a lot of time goes in maintaining this blog, and replying to each comment individually. I’m not selling NPS, MFs, Gold ETFs, Gold Coins, Shares, IPOs, Insurance, Books or anything else on this blog. Read the About to know more about what this is and please don’t point fingers at me because it doesn’t make any difference to me what someone buys; I don’t stand to gain either way.

suresh pilanuia July 20, 2011 at 6:57 am

sir i want to open a nps account

ajay kumar July 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm

hi
pls brief this account.

brajendra pathak July 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I am 38 yrs old, if i contribute Rs. 2500.00 per month in NPS than after retirment how much i can get ?? secondly if i want atleast Rs. 25000.00 as pension than what will be the contribution per month ??

Anil Kumar Gupta August 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm

How to open N.P.S account . Any policy available in Hindi language . for N.P.S account .

manish kumar August 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm

For details in Hindi (NPS Account) click on this link:

Vishnu Bhat.v September 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I am a sftware engineer getting 6 lakhs p.a.I am aged 28.Is it a good idea to open a NPS account? To get a descent pension after 60 years of age how much you suggest me to invest per month?
With Regards/

Manshu September 18, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Vishnu – There’s a lot of confusion with respect to NPS, and at present I wouldn’t advice anyone to open a NPS account. You have a long time to go before retirement so continue saving and investing in other places, and that will act in the same or even better way as opening a NPS account.

k v prabhakar December 9, 2011 at 5:13 pm

sir,
i have opened nps account
how to make ecs to pay future instalments ?
kindly enlighten me in this aspect
k.v. prabhakar

Manshu December 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

You will have to check with the bank for the procedure, I’m not aware of the steps involved – sorry.

Amitava June 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I am from kolkata. For a long time I was trying to open a NPS account and get th PRAN card. First I was checking with the list of POS (given in the PFRDA website) near my locality. Axis bank, India Post both refused to do so. However, they agreed that they received the circular for the same. They are more interested to sell their insurance product. Then I called Alankit Assignment (R N Mukherjee branch) and they finally help me to open the NPS.

So, if you are from kolkata, directly go to Alankit office and open NPS, without wasting your time with the other POS (like Axis bank or Post office).

Amitava

Thnaks,
Amitava

Baleeswaraiah June 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Wanted become a POP-SP

Kindly give answers.

and what are benefits of pop-sp.

Thanks and regards

CSHEKHAR July 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm

How to open N.P.S account. my age 43. How much min amt.can i invest? plz. guide me fully.

Arindam July 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I had opened an NPS account through CAMS last year, made an one time payment and did not opt for ECS as I was not sure how much I should be putting into the account. Is it possible to make a lump-sum payment online without going to CAMS office?

Thanks in advance.

Manshu July 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Yes, you can add that account to your online banking and pay it that way as well. If you call up CAMS they will tell you the exact procedure to do that.

JP PATTANAIK July 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hello,

I have an NPS A/C with ICICI as my Fund manager. I would like to know the rate of return for last yr for same. Recently there was a similar declaration for the govt. employee funds which was little more than 9% (SBI, UTI, LIC). I would like to know the rate of return for the private sector by various fund managers.

PRAMOD AGARWAL August 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm

HI,

SIR, I WANTS TO KNOW HOW MANY BANKS HAVE PROVIDING ECS FACILITY FOR PPF ACCOUNT

THANKS & REGARDS

Vinithra August 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

ADD DETAILS OF LAKSHMI VILAS BANK LIMITED ALSO IN YOUR WEBSITE.
LVB IS ALSO A POP FOR NPS.
FOR DETAILS : SEE http://www.lvbank.com

Kindly add the details of LVB also, which is providing all services like : DEMAT / NRO / NRE DEPOSITS / NPS / ONLINE TRADING / ONLINE BILL PAYMENT / PHONE BANKING / MOBILE PAYMENT / IMPS / NET BANKING / ASBA FACILITY / POS / INSURANCE PRODUCTS / ALL TYPE OF RETAIL AND CORPORATE LOANS / CURRENT FLEXI ACCOUNTS / RD / FD / SB and everything related to Banking and Para Banking.

prateek January 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm

1) What happens to the subscriber of NPS if he discontinues with payment towards Tier II account , Pays back the penalty to revive the account & again is he eligible to open another Tier II account .

2) List of companies assigned under each of the PFM’s

3) What if the employee of a company already having an NPS account ( TIer I) can he open another Tier I account at other bank .

These are the questions i am unable to fathom with the given data , I would be highly obliged if you can help me out for the same sir.

Ashish Agrawal February 8, 2014 at 8:55 am

Tier II account is not mandatory account.You have to maintain a minimum balance of Rs 2000 in any financial year.Its totaly your wish either you contribute or withdraw any amount in your Tier II account

You can only open one NPS account (Tier-I & Tier-II)

Niroop February 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

If we opt for ECS , do we still have to pay INR20 for every transaction?
Costs involved in NPS

The cost structure of NPS is very transparent and clearly defined. It includes:

i) account opening charge of Rs 50,

ii) annual account maintenance cost of Rs 350 and per transaction cost of Rs 10,

iii) service charge by the PoP of Rs 40 for registration and Rs 20 per transaction,

iv) fund management charge of 9 paise for every Rs10,000 of funds under management and

v) custodial charges of 0.0075% p.a. for electronic investments and 0.05% p.a. for physical investments. Despite the multiple charges, NPS is one of cheapest pension products available in the Indian financial market.

prasenjit dhar March 29, 2013 at 10:41 am

sir, i want to know that wheather an CSP subscriber and an EPS subscriber apply for the new pension scheme??

Nitin April 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I went to open the pension account in SBI Madhapur, Hyderabad yesterday (30th March 2013). This branch is listed in the xls sheet you have refered in this article. To my surprise, the Branch Manager (Operations) refused that they deal with NPS accounts. When I told him that your branch is listed on PFRDA website as POP-SP, he blankly told that they dont have any information on working with NPS accounts.
I tried raising this issue by making a complaign on SBI website. Also I mailed to PFRDA grevience mailbox (grc@pfrda.org.in) and SBI’s mail box to handle NPS queries (nps.ccmum@sbi.co.in ) but did not get any response.

Has anybody faced similar situation? If yes, how did you deal with it?

pavan July 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm

yes not only SBI but all other Banks do same things.
SHCIL is best place to open your NPS ACCOUNT .

shyamal kumar maji May 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I am Govt. Employee.I joined in 2007.I already under in PRAN. But I want to another NPS open on SBI. I eligble to open to this a/c.

abinas July 8, 2013 at 5:59 am

i want to open through online and any branch ok for me.is any preference like SBI, ICICI which is good and what option like where to put money or auto option please suggest.

pavan July 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm

SHCIL is best place to start you NPS ACCOUNT and once you open NPS account pay online through SBI online. (www.stockholding.in) you can more detail

pravinmarathe July 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

thanks for giving nps details.GOOD STUDY AND RESEARCH.

PRAVINMARATHE

pravinmarathe July 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm

HI.
MANSHU
Can I get details about “SWAVLAMBAN” .CAN I GET ONLY PRAN CARD FIRST.HOW MUCH ITS COSTING? WHAT IS TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SWAVLAMBAN .AND GETTING PRAN CARD.WHERE CAN IT GETS.CAN I GETS ADDRESS IN MAHARASHTRA.
REGARDS
PRAVIN

Ashish Agrawal February 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

Your post is quite informative but practicaly i am facing hell lot of problems for opening my NPS Account.Since all the POP esp SBI & its subsidiaries is reluctant for opening NPS account.Alankrit & other POP simply shows lack of knowledge about this product.

Kindly help me out

Nitin February 10, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Dear Ashish,
I faced same situation with SBI. They refused to open the account. Thankfully I moved to SBH (State Bank of Hyderabad) and they opened the account for me promptly.

Nitin

Rajesh Parmar February 9, 2014 at 1:35 am

Manshu – Its indeed very informative discussions that U and other guys are conducting on this blog which really makes others powerful on NPS scheme. Though its a good move by GOVT. but lacks on many aspects like marketing of products, for how many years Rs 1000 will be added by GOVT. in every account, also the prospects in the future and many more things to come in this scheme.
Hope All is Well

Smt Vandna Patel February 10, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Hello Sir,
I am Smt Vandna Patel, holding PRAN CARD NO.500032177797.Swawlamban Yojna I forget my Password as well as hint security question.I am unable to check my account details. Please resend me a new I-PIN number. It’s help me lot. Aggregators as-
MARGDARSHAK FINANCAIL SERVICES
And send copy PFRDA

Smt Vandna Patel.
mob no-9407309591.
email id -patelbineka@gmail.com

tushar March 11, 2014 at 6:36 pm

i want to start trading in equities so which is the best brokering house to start with?

and if i want to open account in alankit so how much initial amount i need to deposit?

vishal Ambatkar May 7, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Ajit Kr August 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I am at kolkata, I want to open a nps account at kolkata. Can u guide me.

Ajit Kr August 17, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Plz guide me, I want to open a nps account at kolkata.

md rafikul islam August 27, 2014 at 6:11 pm

i want to get franchisee plz guide me properly

manu mallick September 3, 2014 at 5:05 pm

5months hua abhitak pran nehi ayaa

balanandan September 23, 2014 at 1:28 pm

sir i was working in railway service(tackman)& i resigned from that service and give causes of resignation is my family problem & i got a new job at private firm without information on them so which process i transfer my pran no at new job.can i apply at new card? if not please tell me process of this how to transfer or how to canceal my old pran card?please tell me as soon as possible thanking u.

balanandan September 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm

sir i was working in railway service & i resigned from that service and give causes of resignation is my family problem & i got a new job at private firm without information on them so which process i transfer my pran no at new job.can i apply at new card? if not please tell me process of this how to transfer or how to canceal my old pran card?please tell me as soon as possible thanking u.

Pratham Jariwala September 23, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I’m Pratham Jariwala n I am working in financial services (CFP), I hope provide to my every client nps service min’s can I applied online?