How to file your taxes online using the Income Tax India website?

by Manshu on June 17, 2012

in Featured, Tax

Vikrant commented on the Perfios post last Friday on how easy it was to register and file taxes on the Income Tax India website if you have income from only one source viz. salary, and that it took him only 10 minutes to file his own taxes this way.

I’m not familiar with this process, so I asked him if he would share his experience and he replied very promptly with the steps involved in this process.

Here are the instructions that he gave me (slightly edited).

It’s very simple, especially for people like me who have only one source of income which is salary income.

1.  Go to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/index.jsp

2.  You need to register first, and that’s done by clicking on the Register link that’s present on the right side of the screen, and supplying your PAN.

3.  Once registered, enter your PAN number and password to login.

4.   After you login, you will find a page where you can choose to file return for this year or previous year, Let’s take an example of this year. When you point your mouse to E-Filing A.Y.2012-13 it would prompt: “Individual, HUF” as shown below.

Click on the “Individual, HUF” link.

5. The next page has a set of instructions on which form you should use for your tax filing. These are fairly detailed instructions, and you can easily make out which form you should use based on the details given there.

Here is a screenshot of the instructions.

If you look at this page, it will tell you what which ITR form you need to use. Based on the kind of income you have, you will need to use the respective form like ITR1 , ITR2 and so on.

As I said, I will use ITR 1 as example as I come under Income from Salary/Pension .

6.  Click on the Excel Utility (Version 1.0) for ITR 1 and similarly for other ITR whichever is applicable to you.

7.  Fill this form based on the information present in form 16 and validate that.

8.  Once you have filled the form (there are 4 pages you need to fill; all those which are applicable). Click on validate and then click on Generate. This will generate a XML file which would be saved automatically in the same location where you had saved the excel file that you downloaded.

9.  Once the XML is generated, all you need to do is, click on the > Select assessment year on the left hand side of the web page and select the year assessment year, which would be AY12-13 for this year.

10.Once you click on AY 12 – 13  you will find this page.

Select the option accordingly, like I have done here and click next

11.Once you click next you will find another page that looks like this.

Click on Choose file and select the XML file  that got saved when you generated the XML. And click upload.

12. You will get an email from income tax office that will have a PDF file called ITRV. Take a print out, sign on the form and send it to the address mentioned on the file by ordinary post or speed post.

It’s all done! It’s a very simple process if you have income from only one source.

Conclusion

Vikrant’s instructions are fairly detailed and it looks like a simple process by the looks of it. Many thanks to him for sharing these with everyone here!

Has anyone else tried this and if so what is your experience?

Paresh June 17, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Last yr we used this facility to file returns online.
Its in fact cumbersome for one who is not much conversant with computer and internet.

Last yr I have a small post on the same (Pl.remember it was for last yr..)
http://www.saving-ideas.com/2011/07/file-i-t-returns-online………though it do not carry any screenshots like above…may find useful.

Manshu June 18, 2012 at 12:06 am

Thanks Paresh, you had a single source of income also or were you using some other form? I wonder if it becomes more difficult if you have more than one source of income.

Paresh June 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

Its difficult in the sense that as there is no way to confirm that we are doing it in right direction….I am not CA or like this and it takes us more than 3-4 hours to understand the process at that time.
If you have other sources of income then additional steps arises like to enter TDS details,add income from other sources , calculate tax liability and if there is additional tax liability then pay it through tin-nsdl website..
For first time its difficult to understand the overall process.

Manshu June 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Thanks for that info Paresh.

Ajay April 5, 2013 at 3:54 am

Manshu – How can I contact you? Pls. send me your eamil. I have some queries. Thanks.

Ajay Kukreja

Manshu April 9, 2013 at 5:56 am

Please leave an email and I’ll answer it here. Unfortunately, due to the heavy volume of email I get, most of them go unanswered.

salil June 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

Hi…

I am using the above facility for filing ITR 2 & ITR 4 for last 2 years. The process is quiet simple. Only thing is if you upload the xml file in last 2/3 days of july it takes time.

Manshu June 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks Salil, it takes time in July because of traffic? Since the last date is in June I would’ve thought it took more time to do it in June near the deadline.

Shiv Kukreja June 18, 2012 at 11:17 pm

No Manshu, the last date of filing I-T returns is July 31st each year and not June 30th.

Manshu June 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

My mistake Shiv – thanks for pointing it out.

Shiv Kukreja June 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi Manshu… I used the site myself for FY 2010-11 (AY 2011-12) when I left my job & started on my own. I filed my own I-T return and returns of my family members and many of my clients with a little assistance from my associated CAs. I found the site quite user friendly and easy to work on, given you know some basics of filing returns, taxation laws and doing these kind of stuffs online. Personally, I had incomes from all the sources except income from house property i.e. salary income (for 7 months), business income (for 5 months), income from other sources & income from capital gains (shares, mutual funds etc.).

I think the biggest benefit of filing your returns online is that you cannot go wrong on many of the important aspects of filing a return as many of the sections in the return are internally connected to each other. If you fill some info at one place & it differs with your input at some other place, it automatically informs you accordingly and stops you from proceeding any further. So, that ways you cannot go technically wrong in filing your return but you are still exposed to missing out on feeding some data though unintentionally.

There are many other benefits of filing I-T returns online like it is secured, paperless, ensures faster refunds, minimal chances of losing any of your documents, you can file from anywhere & anytime and many others. There is a scope of improvement also on many fronts but still it is quite easy to do it.

Manshu June 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience Shiv. Based on what I’ve read so far it looks like everyone should try this at least once to see if they can figure it out or not. Most likely they will, and if they don’t then there’s no harm done anyway.

Umesh June 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm

A very useful article with step by step procedure, with images.
Well done Vishal.

bemoneyaware June 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

For those who understand how to file the income tax returns this is a very helpful. Filling ITR -1 form is easy for it maps mostly to Form 16 provided by the employer. But one should understand the process. I have seen people getting confused over Financial Year and Assessment Year and have filed ITR return for wrong year.

Often companies have CA’s coming coming over in month of July to do income tax return filing and they charge nonimal fee 100Rs to 200Rs for ITR-1.
Other than official website there are websites such as taxspanner.com, taxshax.com, taxsmile.com and taxsum.com. The non-government websites differ from each other on two counts, the number of income sources they cover and the process involved. They also have different packages, offers and discounts. The user-interface of these websites is simple and prompts you to fill up a slot you have missed or ask you to rectify a mistake.

Have describe the income tax process in my article Income Tax Overview which might be of help to readers!

Manshu June 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for sharing your link BMA. I really hate the concept of financial year, previous year and assessment year….I don’t think having a financial year that ends in march does any help at all.

Would you know why this is kept this way?

It is a lot simpler to just have the financial year and calendar year close in December.

bemoneyaware June 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Usually things are made complex to scare people..and income tax act with so many chapters, subsections is very scary. The reason for starting financial year on 1st Apr is given as(Ref:Times of India)
The Indian Constitution had empowered only the central government to levy and collect income-tax. The Income-Tax Act was enacted in 1961. The Act came into force from April 1, 1962 and that’s why our financial year begins on April 1 every year.

My father used to say what other day could Income Tax Dept have chosen..Apr 1 being also Fool’s Day :-)

Apnaplan July 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm

The reason for starting the Financial year from 1st April is just a legacy we carried from Britishers like many other things which was not necessarily suited for India. This Financial year is followed around in many other countries so the passing of IT law is the effect rather than cause.

Abhinav Gulechha June 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hi Manshu

Nice post, and also at the right time. I have been filing my IT returns through this mode for the past 2 years. It is quite an easy way to file returns, and the speed of getting refund is super quick.

However, being a CA, the tax concepts are easy for me. However, the same might pose challenge for people not related to this field. Hence, in case one is not clear on tax treatment of certain things, better to consult a CA/ professional.

I have also written a post on this topic (it includes a help guide by ICAI). Also from my personal experience, I have thought to put some traps to aviod while filing tax returns. You can check it at :

Abhinav

Manshu June 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your link Abhinav.

Since this is a relatively new thing, I’m sure people will appreciate whatever info they can find on it. Thanks

bemoneyaware June 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Traps to avoid while filing return of income are very good! Adding a teaser for reader:
A) Not disclosing income from ALL sources:
B) Not reviewing Form 16 received from employer:
C) Not checking Form 26AS for tax-credit

Abhinav Gulechha June 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hi Manshu / Bemoneyaware

Thanks for your reply and listing out the traps. These are from my personal experience some years back. I took the whole return filing thing very casually and declared only my salary income. That year I purchased my own flat and my return got selected in CASS. Through the PAN no., the AO found out some interest credits. Also, my company put in wrong amount of HRA. So all that was added in my income and I had to pay 100% of penalty on the tax. More than money lost, it was a really frustrating experience visiting IT authorities repeateadly. So this post is just a small attempt to make people aware of how important this return filing process is. Even if you are doing all by yourself, be very meticulous and yes, if in doubt, check with experts:) I somehow feel embarrased how being a CA, I made such careless mistake, but have learnt my lesson…

bemoneyaware June 20, 2012 at 8:53 am

Totally agree with you Abhinav and commend your effort in helping out others. I also applaud your courage about publicly declaring that you are CA and made careless mistake.
We all make mistakes and should learn from them. Now because of that mistake you learnt and all of us are learning too!
As far as being a CA is concerned well there is lot of difference between theory and practical. If it is some solace to you I know a guy from IIT with ability to solve the most difficult puzzles and when he filed his returns first time, he filed for wrong assessment year. His case came up for scrutiny and he is running around to get it rectified. (there are some mismatch of Form16 and Form 26AS involved but that’s a different story.) Since then he collects all information , fills the ITR form himself but then asks CA to cross-check and submit it for him and pays CA 1000 bucks for it.

Hari June 19, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I have used the site for past two years and found it pretty simple to use. One point to note is that if one has IT refunds then its best to file returns by May end – in most cases the refund gets credited before July end (the deadline to file returns)!

bemoneyaware June 20, 2012 at 8:54 am

Wow..didn’t know about that but some companies haven’t given Form 16 itself and it’s mid Jun.

Kapil Dev Tejwani June 21, 2012 at 12:34 am

I am quite fond of it.I have been using it almost for the five years now.I am techie and tech enthusiast so I want to do all my things online from small things like mobile recharge to purchase electronics mobiles to online reading to online learning languages and to filing taxes online to booking travel(air,bus,rail) and hotels online.Income tax return efiling is one of the best websites from the govt sector.Other great services are passport and pancard.And now I try to do most of these things using my smartphone.The process still gets easier.

Raja June 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I have been using this site for 3-4 years now with no problem. But this year am in a spot with regard to few point’s which will need professional help. Will be glad if you or your readers can point me to some professional who can help me solve these queries.

1. I left in India in the end of June 2011 and was there for 3 weeks in Jan’12, so i believe i’ll be considered a resident (staying more than 90 days) for tax purpose for this year. Need someone to confirm.
2. My employer has given me the Form 16, but he hasn’t considered the home loan exemption for calculations. I now want to take that into account. What’s the right way to do it ?
3. I have some short term and long term profit from sale of my ex employer shares (SAP). since these are not traded in India, how to go about the capital gains filing for them.
4. I also have some short term loss from trading in Indian shares. Can this loss be offset against my short term gain from shares in mentioned in point 3 ?

Raja

saikothai June 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm

sir
i had filed return for the year 2011-12 online. now i need a generated xml file for the year 2011-12. how i obtain ? can i get fron income tax website? how?

saikothai June 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm

sir

Lavanya July 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Very useful information. The details are very useful and easy for first timers.
If the person filing tax do not have a last name, what needs to be filled in the xls? Last name is mandatory field.

Shiv Kukreja July 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hi Lavanya… fill your first name in the “Last Name” box and leave the “First Name” box blank.

Lavanya July 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hi Shiva… Thank you very much. That worked :).

KSG July 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice with respect to filling the ITR-1 form.
Basically, my Taxable Income is actually lesser than the one shown in Form 16 due to the HRA exemption that I could not claim in time. So when I fill the form now with actual details, there is a difference in Sheet 1 (Income Details) & Sheet 2 (TDS) where the Income appears. Due to this difference, I am unable to generate the XML file. Please advice.

x July 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I think you could try placing the extra amount under the advanced tax section below and qoute the correct details from the segment mentioning the details of tax deposited in your Form 16. If asked then you would have to explain it to the AO. Alternately there might be other better ways. So reach out to a CA first or a TRP for help.

x July 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

ok so did some google search and it seems you might need to update the tax status to tax refundable.

Koti July 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm

i did try changing tax status to tax refundable… still i get error… it says as below…
Run-time error ‘57121’:
Application-defined or object-defined error

Hamendra July 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi!

Did you find a solution?
I am facing exactly the same problem now!

regards

Hamendra

Hari July 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for some help on filling up the ITR1 (SAHAJ) Excel utility downloaded from the efiling website. I have some deduction under Sec 80G to be claimed (this is present in the Form 16 issued by my employer). However the cell against Sec 80G is not editable in the downloaded Excel. Can someone please guide me on this?

I checked the Excel utility for the last Assessment Year and the particular cell against Sec 80G was editable, no idea why it it not editable this year!

Hari July 12, 2012 at 11:13 am

Just figured it out !
There is a separate worksheet for Sec 80G, once I filled in the details there the values got updated in the 1st (main) worksheet :)

Manshu July 17, 2012 at 5:11 am

Thanks for sharing that info here Hari!

C S Viswanadham July 14, 2012 at 9:01 am

IT department has done a great service by launching e-filing of IT returns. This year’s form selection table on the e-filing site (screen shot shown in the article above) has a small mistake: for income or loss from one house, one can use ITR-1 but the table shows that one can not use ITR-1. Due to this misleading table, some of my friends ended up downloading ITR-2 and struggled with more detailed work, though they could have used ITR-1 simply.

Hitesh July 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

1. Based on following income, which itr is applicable for me
a. Salary b. Interests form savings account

2. I have received following amount . Are these taxable ?
a. Dividend for birla tax saving fund
b. Surrender amount of Jeeavan Saral ( 3yrs completed) , Jeevan Anand and Bima Kiran (6 yrs), New Bima Kiran (11 yrs)
c. Redemption amount of HDFC top 200 and Reliance equity (1 year completed) .

3. How do i file my father’s return online ? which Itr to select ?
He is 63 yrs old. He owns a shop but he is retired and gets an annual rent of 144000. No other income.

Hitesh

Mela Kaka July 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

My problem is different. Problem is not on submitting online. Problem is converting excel file to XML file. I have MS Excel 2007. I have filled up every information in the excel file. But I could not convert excel file to XML data file. I tried to rectify the problem by downloading some items in the internet. But nothing is solved. Is there any free online site where I can convert 4 pages excel into one XML data file???

bemoneyaware July 23, 2012 at 1:54 pm

How to find the Income Tax Ward or Circle? How to choose Nature of tax returns? How to choose Nature of filing returns ? More such questions answered in my article Filling Individual ITR Form: Fields A1 to A22
Hope it helps the readers!

BDeb July 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Last financial year i have changed my job and got Superannuation from my last employer. Is superannuation amount fully taxable ? Do i add this amount under “Income from Salary/Pension’ in “Income Details” sheet?

For example, if superannuation amount is 1 lac, should I add 1 lac to ‘Income from Salary/Pension’ for tax calculation.

BDeb

CA Karan Batra July 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Yes Manshu, furnishing your Income Tax Return through the Income Tax Portal is a very easy job.

Its so easy that a common man can do it himself without going to a CA or using any other paid software. I somehow fail to understand why people opt for filing income tax returns through third party paid softwares when the Income Tax Dept has built such a useful and easy way of filing returns online

Manshu July 29, 2012 at 1:58 am

Amazing to see a CA say this :-)

CA Karan Batra August 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm

;)

Frankly speaking, we dont earn by filing ITR 1… Infact we consider ITR 1 as a burden as all we get by filing ITR 1 is Rs. 250

CA’s focus on targetting businessman as we can provide so many services to a person engaged in business as compared to a Salaried Employee.

Umesh August 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm

BTW how much you are charging for filling ITR 4 for a salaried person trading in shares and derivatives (F&O), (normal trading say 10-15 lots of NIFTY per MONTH, say 1.5 – 2.0 lakhs of turnover per year and not heavy trading)

Umesh July 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hi Karan

Yes, it is not difficult but certainly not that “VERY EASY JOB” as said by you. It is very easy to you because it is a part of your job. If filling an ITR is difficult for a CA then to whom it will be easy.

I remember, once even our Finance Minister (I do not remember who he was) found it difficult to fill.

Still, filling ITR 1 is not that difficult, but what about ITR 2, 3 and 4. Are they easy to fill? Certainly not!!

CA Karan Batra August 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Umesh, I agree with you that ITR 1 is easy to fill

As far as ITR 2, ITR 3 & ITR 4 are concerned, they arent difficult to submit either but its only that our Tax system is complicated and we are trying to move towards Direct Tax Code

Submitting ITR 2/ ITR 3/ ITR 4 is an easy job for someone who understands taxes. So if we can simplify taxes through DTC, Return filing would become an easy job

Umesh August 2, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hi Karan

As far as ITR is concerned, it is very well said by Bemoneyaware
“How to fill the ITR online – easy
What to fill in appropriate columns – not so easy!”

Do not know how much easier it will be in the DTC regime. It is a common experience that whenever our system simplify any taxation rule/procedure, they make it more difficult to understand and to follow by a common man, whether it is Income tax, Sales tax/VAT or the new GST. (I am not talking about you professionals but common man )

CA Karan Batra August 2, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hi Umesh

I agree with you, but I think the problem lies in the fact that Taxes are never taught to the Common Man. But the Govt has now started teaching Income Tax to School Students.

They’ve started small but intent to go big and explain the basics of Taxation to the Common Man as well

Vidya July 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

when i enter tax details in table 23 and 24 they add up and I become liable to receive returns which are twice the tax that i paid so far
If i dont update the table 23 and 24, XML doesnt get generated
pls help.

CA Karan Batra July 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hi Vidya

In ITR Form 1, Column No. 23 & 24 are for declaring the TDS Deducted

In case any TDS is deducted, you are required to furnish those details. In case no TDS has been deducted leave those columns blank and click on the Validate Button. If there is any problem in that sheet, it would be displayed and if there is no problem – it would say – “Sheet is Ok”

After you’ve validated all the Sheets, Click – “Generate XML” and it would be generated

In case, there is any problem – feel free to ask here

Abhijeet Modi July 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm

very good article.
till today i am paying much of money to CA for it.
but tell me one thing now how i can retrieve my password as it is with my CA.

Manshu July 29, 2012 at 1:21 am

Ask him for it.

Umesh July 29, 2012 at 10:30 am
Ca Karan Batra July 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm

The easiest way to retrieve your password is to click on Forgot Password and then click Efiling Acknowledgement Number

Then mention the efiling acknowledgement number of the previous year. It would be mentioned in you last year’s return.

There are other ways to retrieve password as well which are mentioned on the Income Tax Portal

Umesh July 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

12. You will get an […..] on the form and send it to the address mentioned on the file by ordinary post or speed post.

Postal authorities will not accept an article by speed post bearing post bag address. I faced this problem twice last year. Then I sent both times by deleting post bag line.

Fenil Desai July 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm

It is really very easy to e-file your IT returns through the income tax website, earlier I was using the services of a TRP but now no more. I have also written a post on it. Check it out – How to e-file your income tax (IT) returns online for free

bemoneyaware July 30, 2012 at 5:28 am

This conversation reminds me of the story
Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford at his factory, which was having some kind of difficulty. Ford asked Tesla if he could help identify the problem area. Tesla walked up to a wall of boilerplate and made a small X in chalk on one of the plates. Ford was thrilled, and told him to send an invoice.

The bill arrived, for $10,000. Ford asked for a breakdown. Tesla sent another invoice, indicating a $1 charge for marking the wall with an X, and $9,999 for knowing where to put it.

After seeing so many questions on various sites regarding filling ITR and my personal experience my view is:
How to fill the ITR online -easy
What to fill in appropriate columns – not so easy!

ex: take case of queries above
Dividend for birla tax saving fund

On my blog there are many queries on Fixed Deposit interest.

To each his own. How do I do mine: Submit it to CA , understand calculations he has come up, he fills in the ITR I ask him questions once both of us are satisfied I e-file it. It might be monetarily slightly expensive but it’s small price I pay for peace of my mind. And it helps me to explain it to others through my blog posts. Ex: with sample and images
Filling ITR-1 : Bank Details, Exempt Income, TDS Details

Paresh July 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Yes…taxation is complicated issue..If one is not sure then its always better to have advice of qualified person from this field.

amit solanki March 18, 2013 at 10:55 am

But when your interest from Fd is less than 10000 and no TDS is deducted by bank, how can we fill sch TDS2 in ITR1?

babita July 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

sir i want to efile it return of me and my brother. i had download the required form ITR 1 and ITR 2. in case of ITR 1 all my fields are validated but it is not generated into xml file. please guide me to convert it.
in ITR 2 i filled all the field in red in part 2 but it is still not vallidated. please help me
babita sharma

Koti July 30, 2012 at 10:06 pm

regarding ITR1: if you are using Excel 2007, save the file as Excel Macro-enabled Workbook… now try generating XML file… i was facing the same issue and it worked for me with this method…

CA Karan Batra July 30, 2012 at 11:26 pm

As pointed out by Koti, enabling the macros in the excel utility is very important without which your Income Tax Return wont be generated

Try enabling the Macros and then try to generate the XML

anupam majumdar August 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

Respected Sir,
I can’t fill the ITR-4 under 44af, when i fill the return & i goes to 44af section but i can’t put the data 44af column, the 44af totally deem, please give me advice how i possible

ramesh August 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Dear Sir
i get income from salary only,i read your article and i understand but i have doubt in fillup itr-1 i.e is i download itr-1 excel form and fillup income details my annual salary Rs.169000/-so iam not fillup other sheets like tds,taxes paid and verfication and 80g.my company not provide any tds form like 16.my question is in ITR-1 we required to fillup all sheets mandatory or not,if mandatory how can i fillup all the forms without 16form.i need to fillup itr-1 form for future purpose. please give your valuable information

Rithika Sharma August 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That is an informative article that you have have shared with us.

What do you think about?

Because I filed my taxes over this online income tax filing portal where I can describe it as “One stop solution”.

Chella August 29, 2012 at 9:56 am

Dear Manshu, Thank you for posting this information. It is indeed very easy to submit the Indian taxes online.

Suresh Kumar August 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

My employer has deducted a total tax of Rs 24637. But as per the ITR excel tool, payable tax on my income is coming out to be Rs 24636.
When i generate the XML it says,
Please correct tax status on sheet: income details
verify tax computation by clicking on calculate tax and check tax status

Please suggest me the way to rectify this.

Also, in the “pre-XML Ckeck” tab it states with a column header — “Validate data before generating XML”. And the same column under this heading have 3 things– TDS on Salary, TDS on Interest and Tax Payment. Under the same, it again shows a header with red colour saying “Verification” and under that it shows my details which are all correct. Do I need to worry anything about all these in the “pre-XML Ckeck” tab?

Suresh.

basumaner September 2, 2012 at 11:58 am

When i generate the XML it says,
Please correct tax status on sheet: income details
verify tax computation by clicking on calculate tax and check tax status

Please suggest me the way to rectify this.

basumaner September 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm

When i generate the XML it says,
Please correct tax status on sheet: income details
verify tax computation by clicking on calculate tax and check tax status

Please suggest me the way to rectify this.

is there any one to help me out thank u

Income Tax September 15, 2012 at 12:24 pm

If you have some basic knowledge of filing returns and have done so before (using physical form process) then you will not find it difficult to use website. If you have some knowledge of computer and submitted forms on internet before then it is even easier. Of course if your sources of income are complicated then the filing process will be complicated irrespective of where you use the form or do it online. in this case it is best to consult a CA to avoid mistakes.

Vikash Sharma September 26, 2012 at 5:55 pm

hello sir,
i am useing ITR1 but its not convert in xml formate. i trying somany times but its not possible fro me. let me how i do it.

tnx
Vikash

Shiv Kukreja September 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Hi Vikash… I think you need to enable the macros in Microsoft Excel from the tools option. Macro setting should be low or medium.

Follow these steps if you are using MS Office 2003: Tools –> Macros –> Security –> Low or Medium

Follow these steps if you are using MS Office 2007: Excel Options –> Trust Centre –> Trust Centre Settings –> Macro Settings –> Enable all macros

Save the excel-utility and re-open it.

subrahmanianvs h November 11, 2012 at 7:37 am

I have an no income but central pension of Rs 20000 PM.
Only regular monthly withdrawals. No Savings in any branch of the bank – SBI.
How much TDS regularly every month all through the year please …!
Is Rs 200 reasonable?

SHS
===

manu January 8, 2013 at 12:03 am

I did file the return online the same way but forgot the send the document through post..what should i do now?

CA Karan Batra January 8, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Hi Manu

You were required to send the document within 120 days of filing the income tax return.

In case you forgot to send the ITR-V document so generated, it would be deemed that you never filed your Income Tax Return.

In this case, you would be again required to file your Income Tax Return and follow the same procedure as done earlier

manu January 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

is there a charge to file return again and can i do that at any time or do i need to wait for next year.
i got to know that to get loan filing return is not required now, if the salary is below 5 lac. Is that right?

CA Karan Batra January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

If you are a salaried employee and your salary is less than Rs. 5,00,000 and Interest Income is less than Rs. 10,000, it is not mandatory for you to file your income tax return

manu January 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm

will i be eligible to get loan if i dont file IT return…

CA Karan Batra January 10, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hi Manu

Latest Update: You would be delighted to note that the Income Tax Deptt has extended the last date of sending ITR-V and you can now send the ITR-V till 28 Feb 2013. So now you can send your ITR-V to the Income Tax Deptt and your Income Tax Return would be considered valid

This extension is only for this year and for all other years it would be 120 days from the date of filing of income tax return

sumit January 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

i did not file the return for the year 2010-11, how can i do it now?

manu January 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

i checked the same by call the customer care for IT department and they are saying that date was extended to file the return however to send the document, you have to send it with 120 days.

CA Karan Batra January 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm

The Call Centre executives may not be updated with the latest news… This notification came a few days back only… take a print-out of the ITR-V and send it to the Income Tax Dept and you’ll return will get processed and you would also receive a mail for the same :)

manu January 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Thanks alot for all your help. The last thing i want to know is, filing a return important to get loan coz my salary is below 5 lac. technically i dont need to return file as i dont have much of investment.

CA Karan Batra January 10, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Although Banks sometimes sanction loans based on Form 16 itself without relying on the Income Tax Return, it is always better and advisable to file your Income Tax Return…

vijay patel January 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Sir
I am facing problem in converting ITR from 4, in XML format , i have tried all methods
OS- Window XP
MS – Excel 2007

kindly assist me.

Vijay Patel

Ravi February 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm

My employer not given form 16 as my salary is less than 3 lacks then how to file IT returns.
Actually I want to take loan but bank asking form 16.
Plz provide information.

CA Karan Batra February 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm

If TDS has been deducted from your Salary – your employer is liable to give you Form 16.

You can even file your Income Tax Return without Form 16 by referring to Form 26AS which you can download online from your bank website and from the income tax website

Ravi February 21, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Thanks Karan for information.

ankurm February 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Any idea, why form 26as tax credits are not viewable on income tax website. I have been trying since last 1 month, the website gives some technical error. Has anyone tried of late?

bemoneyaware February 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Income tax website has moved fron TIN-NSDL to TRACES. All details after 31 st Oct 2012 are visible only through TRACES

Manshu February 25, 2013 at 5:54 am

Thanks for that info.

Ananya February 18, 2014 at 10:36 am

Thanks for the article explaining about how to file your taxes online using the Income Tax India website. But as I found that kin of very complicated, I did my tax filing through one of the website taxchanakya.com and it was quite easy for me to navigate through it.

Ram Narayan Dange May 15, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I have prepared my returns in ITR2 in Excel and also PDF format but unable to convert the same into xml format since this facility available at IT site only for ITR1 Can some one help?