Check Your CIBIL Credit Score & Credit Information Report Online

by Shiv Kukreja on August 8, 2012

in Credit

This post is written by Shiv Kukreja, who is a Certified Financial Planner and runs a financial planning firm, Ojas Capital in Delhi/NCR. He can be reached at skukreja@investitude.co.in

This is the 3rd post in a series of posts covering CIBIL Credit Information Report and CIBIL Credit Score. You can access the earlier two posts here:

CIBIL TransUnion credit score – role in a loan application process

CIBIL Credit Information Report

By now, you must have become well versed with the contents of a Credit Information Report and the significance of a credit score. Now it is time to know how you can access your report and know what your credit score is.

You can access your CIBIL TransUnion Score along with the full Credit Information Report for a nominal fee of Rs. 470. You are just required to fill a request form with some basic details like Name, Address, Date of Birth, Gender, Contact Details etc. and keep the self-attested copies of your Identity Proof and Address Proof ready.

You can see the application here.

Online payments can be made either through Net Banking platform of a bank or through a debit card/credit card/cash card. The net banking facility is available with 33 banks as of now. You will get a unique CIBIL registration ID and transaction ID as a confirmation on successful completion of your online payment. After the payment is made, you need to answer 3-5 questions about any of your loans or credit cards to authenticate your application. You’ll then be required to provide the soft copies of your identity proof and address proof.

If your application gets authenticated, you’ll receive your credit score and CIR in your e-mail in about 2-4 days. However, if the authentication fails, you need to take a printout of the receipt for online payment and mail it to the below mentioned CIBIL address along with your proofs.

Consumer Relations: Credit Information Bureau (India) Limited,
Hoechst House, 6th Floor, 193 Backbay Reclamation,
Nariman Point, Mumbai 400 021, India.
Tel.: 022 61404300, email: info@cibil.com

Offline Application

If you decide against going online, then you will have to take a printout of the application form, duly fill it and get a Demand Draft (DD) made worth Rs. 470. Again attach the copies of your identity and address proofs along and send it to the above mentioned address.

Also, if you wish to purchase only your Credit Information Report, then you can do so by having a DD of just Rs. 154 and follow the above mentioned process. But, in that case, the process would be offline only because there is no provision to get it online without asking for your credit score.

You also need to sign the form in order to confirm your requests. Note that the address proof (except passport) – bank statement, telephone bill, electricity bill or credit card statement should not be more than 3 months old and should be in your name matching with your name in your loan/credit card account or on your PAN card (if you do not have any loan or credit card).
Like many of us undergo physical health check-ups, I think one should get his or her credit score checked at least once a year. It will keep you aware of your credit health and make you take necessary steps to correct it whenever required.

So what are you waiting for now? Just visit the CIBIL website and get your score checked. I’m sure there will be many surprises in store for many of us. Just share your score and experiences here with us so that we have a platform to understand these things in more detail.

Views: 161912

Saket Kelaskar December 20, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Hi Shiv

I made a online payment for online Cibil report however failed in the authentication, further I got the option of uploading KYC documents which I uploaded as per requirement.

Do I still need to mail the documents or that the uploaded documents will be sufficient to receive my cibil score and report.

Please advise

Shiv Kukreja December 22, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Hi Saket,

This is something unique, I think you should still courier it to their address. You can also talk to the CIBIL customer care whether you need to send it to them or not.

Or put your query on this post – http://www.onemint.com/2012/11/27/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-cibil-credit-scores/

amit December 22, 2012 at 9:28 pm

dear sir,
pls advice me, should i go for settlement of my cc dues for principal payments in EMI’s, how it will affect my CIBIL score.

Thnaks

Shiv Kukreja December 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi Amit,
Settlement affects your credit score negatively. Either you should pay off the outstanding balance fully or if you think it was not your fault, then you should talk to the bank officials or file your case in the banking ombudsman.

Dinesh Kumar Sinha December 25, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I had my credit card in the year 2005 and the same was auto closed by bank (i was not able to swipe my card) and when i called the customer service i got the reply that there was a due of 4000+ rupees for which i was not aware as i was not getting my credit card statement. When i have requested for the same, the banking team have told me that your case is with clooection team (third party) and so we will not be able to provide the statement. As i am sure that i have paid all my transaction promptly. In this case how i can correct by CIBIL record as my name is sent to CIBIL as i have not ready for the settlement without the complete transaction details.

Shiv Kukreja December 26, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hi Dinesh… You should either talk to the bank explaining them that it was not your fault or if you strongly feel that it was bank’s mistake, you should approach the banking ombudsman to appeal against the bank.

paras r soni December 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

i paid my all emi’s of all loan’s but case and delayed so please guide me about cibil score and next step. thankyou.

Moin Hashmi December 31, 2012 at 1:15 am

Hi just wanna inquire if my credit score would have gone for a toss? Since I had some issues regarding a loan for LCD TV from Bajaj Finance around couple of years ago, they were taking 1777rs of emi whereas they were supposed to take 1555rs hence I refused to pay and kept nil balance in my a/c till it is rectified and escallated this discrepancy to their higher authorities and it was sorted out later on and I cleared it all then..I have got no due certificate from them as well..but meanwhile 2-3 emi’s were bounced in my hdfc bank a/c due to insufficient funds..
Apart from this I never had any loan or credit card in my life so far.. Might have had some cheque bounce issue for about 2-3 instances ever since I started banking..
Please suggest me ways to improve my credit score if ever it would have gone down..
Thanking You In Anticipation.

Shiv Kukreja January 17, 2013 at 1:24 am

Hi Moin… Yes, the Bajaj Finance issue must have affected your credit score to some extent, but the cheque bounce issue should not affect your score much.

Please check this post to find ways to improve your score:

Moin Hashmi January 19, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for ur reply Shiv, I wanted to inquire about my scrore was just because I’ve applied for HDFC credit card recently and awaiting their response. Now lets see if they approve it I would then be quiet sure that my credit score is upto the mark or otherwise.. Thanks again for your help and guidance.

Shiv Kukreja January 24, 2013 at 12:53 am

You are welcome Moin!

Moin Hashmi January 29, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hi Shiv I’m happy that I recently got first ever credit card from HDFC bank approved and sent to me, Now does that mean that my credit score is good, only then they have approved it, and I went to shop at a mall with my HDFC credit card and got an offer from SBI that I can apply for their card as well? So thinking of applying for it and will keep these cards for times of emergency.. plz advise. Thanks alot.

Ravinder Prashar December 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm

CIBIL Report

Shriya January 10, 2013 at 1:34 am

Hello Shiv,

I have taken a personal loan of Rs 2,80,000 for a tenure of 5 yrs, a year go. I want to foreclose it now. Will this decrease my cibil score? Also If I close a credit card will that decrease my cibil score?

Thnx
Shriya

Shiv Kukreja January 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Hi Shriya,

Foreclosure without any default will rather improve your score as it shows your are not credit-hungry and your financial health is quite sound. Same applies to Credit Card also.

Prashanth U January 11, 2013 at 7:06 am

I don’t understand why should one pay to view their own Credit Score. In U.S. there is law through which Citizens there can view their Credit Score free for once a year, and later buy it if needed. Don’t we have such a law here in India.

I have never found the need for Credit Score and I hope I won’t need it. I wish there should be a law made in India too, for every Citizen to make it their right to see their Credit Score, rather the CIBIL making money out of it.

Prashanth .U

Manshu January 12, 2013 at 4:08 am

That is not true Prashanth. In the US – you can get your credit report free once a year from all three agencies but if you want to see your credit score you will have to pay money for it. Credit score is not included in the free credit report.

Prasanna January 13, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Credit Information report is a great initiative to secure the financial institutions and as well as the Borrower. One must know the capacity what he can pay back.

arulmoorthy r January 16, 2013 at 11:49 am

my cibil score pls.

Hemant Kumar Jatrana January 18, 2013 at 4:17 pm

pls provide my CIBIL score.

Kishore January 19, 2013 at 6:14 am

Hi Shiv Kukreja,

I have never taken any loan in my Life time and I don’t have any Credit card yet. But now, when I had applied for Credit Card 2 days back, it got rejected reason being my Credit Score is bad.

How can my Credit score exists/bad when I have not taken any Credit card or Loan in my life time till now. I am worried and I don’t understand how this can happen!!!

FYA – I bought my Bike and Home furniture with net cash, I mean by paying all the money at once.

Plz tell me what to do or whom to contact for this issue.

Shiv Kukreja January 24, 2013 at 12:51 am

Hi Kishore… Just buy your CIBIL credit report online and you’ll get to know yourself where the problem lies.

Jagadeesh January 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi Shiv Kukreja,

My Cibel score is 720. Can i get the credit card/home loan with this core..

Shiv Kukreja January 24, 2013 at 12:49 am

Hi Jagadeesh… Issuance of a credit card/home loan doesnt solely depend on one’s CIBIL score and there are many other factors which are important. So, I wont be able to tell you the probability of you getting these credit facilities sanctioned.

John January 21, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I have settle 2 personnel loans and 2 credit cards during the year 2004-2006. At present I am unable to a Loans from banks because of CIBIL Score.

How Can I improve my credit score after my poor performance.

How much time it will took for improvement.

S.John

Shiv Kukreja January 24, 2013 at 12:44 am

Hi John… Please check this link to get the required info on how to improve your credit score:

krishna January 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I have taken two credit cards in 2005. I have not paid the full amount. Now i have settled one card. In CIBIL report those card details are not available. After that i have taken another two cards and running good. could please let me know recently settled card information will record in CiBIL.

My score is 741.
I can apply home loan?

Krishna

Shiv Kukreja January 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hi Krishna… Your CIBIL report should reflect the recently settled card information. Also, 741 is a decent credit score and you can definitely go for a home loan.

nkamal January 28, 2013 at 11:33 am

hi shiv,

i am using citi bank credit card since last 6 months and on my online account i tried to check my pan no. and it is not updated in bank records , so will bank still able to update my civil record. this is my first card and i don’t have any other loan or credit card.

Shiv Kukreja January 28, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi nkamal… I’m not 100% sure about it but I think Citibank must have captured your PAN information with them while issuing credit card to you and your transactions will get updated in your CIBIL records.

ajay rajput January 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm

if at present i want to what is cibil report how i ll be able to find out?

Shiv Kukreja February 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Hi Ajay… your query is not clear to me, please reframe it.

Nikhil sharma January 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hey shiv..
My credit score is not so good and I want to improve my ratings in a short period of time. So, Please suggest me, how can I improve my credit ratings in a specified period.

Shiv Kukreja February 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi Nikhil… Please check this link in order to know the ways to improve your credit score:

Aasif Shaikh January 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I had a CC in the year 2008 and it has been settled and cleared all dues and closed now i had applied for ICICI Bank home loan they found that my name is in CIBIL and it shows 2 CC in my name one was closed and other the bank person did’nt update clearly so wanted to know how i can clear my name from CIBIL and also if i dont have closer documents with me then how i have to show my self clear from CC dues.
Please suggest it is very important for me to purchase house.

Aasif Shaikh
9822097953
aasifnr@gmail.com

Shiv Kukreja February 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Hi Aasif… please check this link – http://www.cibil.com/consumer-dispute-resolution and follow the procedure to make the bank staff update your payments in your CIBIL records. You can use the payment receipt or your bank statement as the proof of your payment.

Tarun February 4, 2013 at 4:26 pm

One point: Just getting your CIBIL score (by applyiing online), also impacts the hoam loan.
Do the banks see if a person has viewed his/her CIBIL report.
I hope you got my question!

Shiv Kukreja February 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Hi Tarun… Applying for your CIBIL report wont impact your CIBIL score.

Deepak February 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Me and my wife had taken multiple loans in the past (home & auto) and have made prompt payments and also closed them.No CIBIL issues from the past 10 years. Today i applied for another loan from HSBC and it was rejected because all of a sudden my wife has a default of close to 7 lakhs on credit cards in the year 2000 which she has never taken. My wife was not even working then and i wonder which bank would give her that kind of a credit limit. Not sure of how to resolve this with the builder on our heads to pay off and my wifes CIBIL report not being clear. Being in a remote place now i spend money on tickets to visit the main branches of these banks who have reported this. I have applied for the CIBIL report but i am pretty worried that inspite of being good borrowers we have to face this. Hard earned money will be spent on travel and procedures to clear a mistake of some bank or CIBIL . To top it leave from our respective offices to find a way out of this mess.No vacation this year..Crap

Shiv Kukreja February 9, 2013 at 1:47 am
Kushal February 7, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hi Shiv,

I have been following the tread and it is indeed helpful. I had few queries which I would like to understand and get a clarification for.

* Firstly, my brother had taken an ICICI credit card few years back in our college days however, the amount was used and then the credit card bill was not paid off. Now I have been trying to apply for a loan for myself however it is being rejected due to the pending issue and the credit score has gone down to 560. Thus, I would like to know how to improve the credit score and will making a settlement with the bank increase or decrease my credit score.

* Secondly, the CIR link is asking for account number, please let me know which account number should i fill in as I donot have any loans now.

Thanks & Regards
Kushal

Shiv Kukreja February 9, 2013 at 2:15 am

Hi Kushal,

How come your score has gone down when it is your brother who had taken the credit card in his name? You were a guarantor in the credit card application?

Secondly, “Account Number” is not a mandatory field when you apply for your CIBIL credit score, so just skip it if you do not have any loan running in your name.

sasi February 8, 2013 at 1:40 am

One credit card full settlement on Sep month 2012 &NOC also received .But still my score 540 only is there .How to increase the scroe.and how to remove the cibill report.

Shiv Kukreja February 9, 2013 at 1:51 am

Settlement affects your CIBIL score negatively. Please check this link to know how to improve your score:

jaskaran February 8, 2013 at 10:41 am

Does we can buy cibil score for improving the rating

Shiv Kukreja February 9, 2013 at 1:52 am

Sorry Jaskaran, I did not get your query. Please reframe it.

Lavanya Sethi February 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I have taken personal loan from Bajaj finance for Rs 714000/- . They cheated me by deducting Rs 14000/- in the name of insurance at the time of disbursal. When I tried enqiuiring about this there is no response from Bajaj Finance . I have written them the repeated mails to their customer care and the customer representatives from the Bajaj finance . Looks like it is falling in deaf ears.
My idea of writing this complaint to get my money back what they deducted in the name of insurance , i.e, Rs 14000/-. I have even filed a complaint against them on their site as well as here, http://www.consumercourt.in/personal-loan/106310-personal-loan-bajaj-finance.html at Consumer Court site but so far no action has been taken on this case.

Shiv Kukreja February 9, 2013 at 1:58 am

If you are getting no response from Bajaj Finance, then you should approach the Banking Ombudsman if you want.

Aasif Shaikh February 9, 2013 at 7:32 am

Hi Shiv,

I had applied for CIBIL report online by paying Rs. 470/- and also uploaded the KYC needed for 2 to 3 times and finally when i last uploaded i received this email from CIBIL:
——————————————————————————————————————–

We refer to your request to purchase your CIBIL Report.

In this regard, we would like to inform you that we have processed your CIBIL Report request. However, we regret our inability to generate a score on your report due to the following reasons:

. Credit history is less than 6 months
. Date Opened of Account/s in your report is less than 6 months from the current date

In view of the same, we have processed refund of Rs 68/- (Cost of CIBIL TransUnion Score) on 08/02/2013 via Online Payment mode

Your CIBIL Report is processed and will be despatched on 11/02/2013.

Thanking and assuring you of our best services.
——————————————————————————————————————–

Now i dont understand why they have refunded of Rs 68 and what kind of report will i get after this email… Will i get this report through courier or Email (Soft Copy).
Actually i need my whole report of CIBIL,so will they provide me with it?

Thanks in Advance

Aasif Shaikh

Shiv Kukreja February 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hi Aasif… As they have mentioned, they are refunding Rs. 68 (Cost of CIBIL TransUnion Score) due to their inability to generate your CIBIL credit score. This means you’ll still get your complete CIBIL credit report but without a score. I am not sure through which mode they’ll be sending it but it seems to me that it would be couriered to your mailing address.

Aasif Shaikh February 13, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I have a question for you, as you said i will not be getting CIBIL credit score, so what is the reason behind this i will not get the CIBIL credit score and for that what should i do, coz it is important for me to know where i am standing and how will the Banks react while giving the Home loan. To be Frank dear i need a Home a property on my name which till now i dont have it.

Please help me in this regards dear.

Aasif Shaikh

RAJ February 11, 2013 at 3:13 am

HY SIR LONG BACK I HAD TAKEN LOANS FROM BANK BUT NOW I AM A DEFAULTER I WANT TO MAKE A COMPLETE NEW PROFILE LIKE NEW PAN CARD ITR AND ALL THE PROOFS CAN U HELP ME WHAT SHUD I DO

Manshu February 11, 2013 at 3:48 am

You can’t just get a new PAN card like that and start afresh. What you want to do is illegal and no one is going to call you.

RAJ February 11, 2013 at 3:15 am

CAN U PLES CAL ME

ST February 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

Hi Shiv,

I have a unique question & id be thrilled to get some advice. Many years ago I had a credit card from ICICI bank (this was between 2004-2006). In some promo scheme that they were running I got the offer to take a personal loan & pay it off via the card @Rs.2,500 or so each month. Every month this money would get auto debitted from my account – so there was no problem of non-payment.

Then in 2006, these auto debits stopped. At the time I wasn’t very credit card savvy – so I just assumed that I had already paid off all the money. But in 2008, when I funded my icici bank account i was hot with a lien of Rs.32,000. When I enquired about it I was told that I had not paid my dues & that the bank had tried getting in touch with me via registered post. I had not received any such post (the bank had my updated house address – so no question of error there). When I asked them to show me proof of the registered post – they didnt show me anything. But given that this was about my credit rating, i paid up Rs.32,000.

Then in 2009, i had funded my icici bank account again – and once again i was hit with a lien of Rs.32,000. This time also i ran pillar to post & tried to find out what happened. And once again they said i had not paid my dues. When i asked for details they basically said it was my fault – and once again I paid the Rs.32,000.

After that there we no more such incidents.

My question is this: I have no idea whether these 2 lumpsums were towards settlements or full payments. All my attempts to find out details from the bank at both these times were extremely frustrating – and resulted in absolutely no information. So I don’t know if my CIBIL rating has “settlement” written against it or “paid in full”

How do I find this out? And if it is “settlement” what do i do to repay the whole amount & get it changed to “paid in full”.

I would appreciate any help in the matter.

Thanks for the taking the time to read this long question.

Shiv Kukreja February 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Hi ST… I’m shocked and sad to read your comment here. Please tell me why are you acting so carelessly in this matter and if you were never at fault, then why did you pay Rs. 32,000 twice without knowing the details of these two payments? It is very disappointing to read your comment. If the bank officials were not helping you in this matter, you should have approached the Banking Ombudsman or any other court to get heard and helped.

You can check all the details about your credit history and credit score by applying for your credit report online:

Ananda Kumar R February 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Hello Shiv,

Thanks for your article, i have applied for Transunion score and CIR. i had couriered the documents to CIBIL.

I would like to know how long will it take them to process once they receive the doucments?

Thanking you,
Ananda

Shiv Kukreja February 20, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hi Ananda… It takes a minimum of 10 working days from the date of receipt of appropriate and satisfactory documents for the CIBIL to process your request.

Kauser Fathima February 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Hi Shiv,
I was trying to get a loan from ICICI bank, but was refused stating that I already have an outstanding home loan of 11 lakh, reflected in CIBIL report. But, I have not taken any such loan, nor been a guarantor. It seems somebody has used by Pan card details and somehow managed to get a loan. I have requested for CIR from CIBIL. I also have heard that such cases take time to get resolved. I have already purchased a house using my savings, have paid a lot of money and was banking on loan of around 14 lakhs to pay the rest. Please help me find a solution as I am stuck and have no other means to arrange money. I am shocked to find how can some bank sanction a loan without doing proper verification.

Kauser Fathima
Bangalore

Shiv Kukreja February 21, 2013 at 12:15 am

Hi Kauser,
It is called “Identity Theft” – http://www.onemint.com/2012/10/02/cibil-score-identity-theft/. You should check your CIBIL report as soon as possible and if there is any such problem in your report, then you should approach the bank without any delays to get more details about it and track the person who has used your docs to get the loan. If required, report the case to police/court.

rajiv February 16, 2013 at 8:14 pm

sir,
i am ask you regarding my account, i have icici bank salary a/c last 7 to 8 years , 6 to 7 years before i am tack personal loan through citybank arround 30000 thousand after one years citibank refill my loan account and clear all dues and give me new loan arround 40000 thousand , that time i face some financial problam thats why i am not properly submitted my instolment and now i want to home loan so i apply in my bank but bank decline my application
b’coz bank says my account showing cibil case , here i m clear to u i m not closed my loan a/c till date. in this sitchuation what i do and how to i m elligiabal for home loan give me some good advice .

thanx
rajiv

Shiv Kukreja February 21, 2013 at 12:31 am

Hi Rajiv… You just cannot get away with the mistakes you made in the past. You should first check with the Citibank how much outstanding loan it is there in your name. If you can, try to pay it off as soon as possible. After a few months, once your score improves, the probability of you getting a home loan will also improve.

Aasif Shaikh February 21, 2013 at 1:43 am

Hi Shiv Thank you for your kind reply,

Please help me in this regards dear.

Aasif Shaikh

Shiv Kukreja February 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Hi Aasif,
You can get your CIBIL score once your credit history becomes more than 6 months old. Also, it is not necessary for a bank not to give a home loan if you dont have a CIBIL credit score.

Aasif Shaikh February 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Aasif

Shiv Kukreja February 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm

You are welcome Aasif!

Siva February 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hi Shiv,
i have applied for Home Loan, but they(SBI) found 2 outstaning amounts against me via CIBIL and asked for clarification.
One of the amount, i cleared it and also will get confirmation from the concern banker.
But other amount, which i dont know and why/how it is reflecting. also dunno which bank against it is. i m ready to do the payment(if it is genuine).
but fortunatly i dont know the details to make the payment.
Could you please suggest/guide me further. what is quicker way to get this sorted.

Shiv Kukreja February 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Hi Siva,

You just buy your CIBIL credit report online and it will have all the details about the outstanding amount and the lender. You can pay the outstanding balance if the demand is genuine. If not, then you can follow CIBIL’s Dispute Resolution process to get it corrected.

Siva February 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi Shiv,
forget ask you, if i take CIBIL report. will it have back details information(of the 2nd amount)

Shiv Kukreja February 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Yes, it will have all the details.

SANJAY BHATNAGAR February 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

From where should I get my civil score pls help to suggest me if u can because I am unable to get any type of durables loan from anywhere

Shiv Kukreja March 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hi Sanjay… You can apply for your CIBIL score online on this link:

anonym March 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I applied for the CITI bank credit card 15 days back which got rejected then i queried for the CIBIL score which was showing 749 score and one loan written-off which i’ve already closed with NOC in Dec. 2011. i requested to the bank for the same and raised a request in CIBIL. this loan is now updated and no dues is there on my a/c. will i be able to apply for any other bank credit card or personal loan?? what score usually bank look for personal loan or credit card??after updating the loan status from bank will my score go up or it’ll take time to reflect??
thanks in advance..:)

Shiv Kukreja March 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi anonym… Usually a CIBIL score of 750+ is considered as good and your score is very close to it. I think it is a good score and should improve further in a few days as the corrections have been made by your bank. If you need a loan or a credit card, I think it should not be a problem now.

Mohd Irshad Ali Humaid March 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I had a CC in the year 2008 and it has been settled and cleared all dues and closed now i had applied for ICICI / HDFC credit card they found that my name is in CIBIL
so wanted to know how i can clear my name from CIBIL

Shiv Kukreja March 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hi Irshad… You should apply for your CIBIL credit score online on this link:

If whatever has been reported in the report is correct, then you’ll have to imrove your score yourself by maintaining a good credit history. If it is incorrect, you can raise a dispute settlement request online here on this link:

love March 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Hi,I want to know that which kind of entry available in cibil. And what is the process for apply .

Shiv Kukreja March 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Hi love… Please read this article to understand what kind of entries are there in a CIBIL report:

You can apply for your CIBIL credit report online on this link:

Ram March 10, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Hi Shiv

I used to have couple of credit cards with decent credit limits and even a personal loan too.

I took the credit cards & personal loan in the year 2009. Latter I moved to other country and I handover the credit cards to one of my cousin and the same were misued by him.

Once I retuned from UK, I looked at my credit cards status and with out delay I paid all the outstanding dues for the cards against which I got the no due certificates from the Banks as well.

Against personal loans, almost 4 to 5 EMI’s were paid with quite delay during my visit to UK.

What happened recently I asked one of my friend who is working in bank to get the cibil score and I was shocked to see the credit score as 531, which is worse.

Now can you please advise me how to get the credit score improved…?

Shiv Kukreja March 13, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hi Ram,

I think your credit score has got spoiled due to the misuse done by your cousin and probably the payments made by you have been updated as the ‘settled’ accounts. For me to advise you on how to improve your credit score, I need to analyse your credit report.

Below pasted is the link to check the measures to improve one’s credit score:

Aasif Sk March 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Hey Shiv,

How are you doing??
Need your help again :) i recently buy ICICI bank credit card and since the facility which were said to before taking the CC was all fake and faulty so now i wanted to close the CC and had called the Video Help Desk to do that. The HD services 24×7 is also pathetic it never got connected to me . so over all service and promise were all wrong.
I wanted to know if i close the CC account will it affect my credit score or status?
I mean it was their fault and i was not satisfied once i got the CC.

Please suggest me on this.

Best Regards,
Aasif Sk
09822097953

Shiv Kukreja March 13, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Hi Aasif… If there is zero outstanding balance against this credit card, I dont think surrendering it should affect your credit score negatively.

Aasif March 18, 2013 at 12:53 am

Hi Shiv,

Thanks for your reply. i was worried about this.

Best Regards,
Aasif

Shiv Kukreja March 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

You are welcome Aasif!

Lokesh March 16, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hi shiv,

Recently i have applied for personal loan in axis,citi and hdfc bank but it got rejected in citi and axis bank bcoz of low credit score and in hdfc bank also becoz i live in PG.
So, please clarify my below doubts:
1) will this rejection affect my cibil score

2) if i apply again in same banks after 2-3 months from some different address (not PG), then will bank come to know that i have already applied with some different address through my cibil score?

3) I don’t had any loan previously but i have only one credit card from last 3 months only, in which i paid around 30k in 3 months bill, so plz tell me that credit score mainly increases becoz of amount of money i am spending or becoz of credit card duration or both?
All my credit card bills are automatically paid through Standing instruction on time.

Shiv Kukreja March 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Hi Lokesh,
1) I dont think it should affect your credit score.
2) Whenever you apply for a loan, the lender is required to generate an enquiry for the same and it gets reported in your CIBIL report. But still, if living in a PG was the genuine reason for HDFC to reject your loan, then applying from a different address might increase your chances of getting a loan.
3) Please check this link to know which factors affect your credit score and why:

Also, it takes at least 6 months of your credit history for CIBIL to generate your credit score.

Lokesh March 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

Hi shiv,

I will apply after 2 months only, then my credit card will be six months old.
But for my point no. 2, if i will apply with different address and tell the bank that i am living here from last one year then they will come to know na from my previous application that 2-3 months back he was in different address. and if i will say them that i am staying in my new address from 2-3 months only, then again they may reject the loan :(

Shiv Kukreja April 3, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Cant say much about it. I think you should give it a try with your new address.

emerald April 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I had problem with bankers who charged me highly on my cc cards I approached the court and got the order in my favour can I file these order copy in cibil

Shiv Kukreja April 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Yes, you can get the status updated with CIBIL by raising dispute resolution request. Here is the link:

You can check this post as well for more info:

emerald April 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Shiv Kukreja April 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm

You are welcome emerald!

sanjeev sharma April 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

cir

V S April 15, 2013 at 7:15 am

Hi Shiv,

As I could not go through all the aforementioned comments, I am not sure if this has been addressed before. My question is whether credit ratings get affected on late payments of utility bills (like I think in the US, they do) or is it restricted only to loans, EMI, cc dues? Thanks & Regards.

Shiv Kukreja April 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Hi V S,

As of now, late payments of utility bills etc. do not fall under CIBIL’s purview, but I think, sooner or later, they will be.

V S April 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thanks a lot, Shiv.

maha April 15, 2013 at 9:47 am

Hi sir,

I took a loan against gold of around 30000 two years back in muthoot and paid interest only for 6months.Now wana finish it off.Would that have affected my score

Shiv Kukreja April 16, 2013 at 12:23 am

Hi Maha… Non-payment of EMIs must have affected your credit score negatively. If you pay off the outstanding amount completely, it would gradually improve your score.

maha April 15, 2013 at 9:48 am

Its little urgent ,will you be able to answer me on priority basis

Firos Khan April 17, 2013 at 6:09 am

Hi ,

Recently i applied for an Americal Express credit card through my employer . But card application rejected due to poor credit score report from CIBIL.I never had a credit card for almost last 8 years.When i contacted AMEX they told that to contact CIBIL for the information.I tried to contact CIBIL but not able to connect to their support. How i will get the details from CIBIL.

Shiv Kukreja April 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

Just buy your CIBIL credit report online as explained in the post above, it will have all the details about your credit history and credit score.