Suggest a topic

A lot of you reply to the daily emails with suggestions for posts, and I really appreciate that because it gives me post ideas, and I can write about stuff that is most relevant to you.

Normally, I take the gist of your suggestion; create a title of the post, and note it down on a virtual sticky note. But, the issue with this is that it is easy enough to miss an email, and sometimes the titles on the sticky notes don’t make any sense to me when I look at them later on.

So, I am creating a page here that is specifically for your suggestions for posts. You can leave a comment here suggesting an idea for a post, and if I know enough about the topic I will write about it.

That way we won’t lose track of anything you say, and if multiple people suggest the same topic for a post then I know that it should be written prior to moving on to other things.

Thanks for reading – and writing!

Colin January 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

With interest rates falling, the temptation to move into long term debt funds rather than FD for high tax paying citizens is becoming very compelling. How does one evaluate whether breaking an FD and paying penalty with low rate of interest makes better sense than waiting for FD to mature. Given that a part of the interest is taxed at 30%

Manshu January 31, 2013 at 7:34 am

This is rather late but here is the post answering your suggestion.

Satyanarayana January 11, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Will the IPO allotment going forward be the same as what we saw in CARE IPO?

Manshu January 31, 2013 at 7:37 am

No I don’t believe that’s the case, at the time of each offer for sale or IPO the allotment criteria will be declared.

Sumit Gupta January 12, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I am a CA work as a financial planner in Club Kautilya- an initiative of Microsec Group whose core business is Financial Planning and advisory. I would like to write blog on financial planning for the subscriber of Onemint so that our thoughts can be shared with the masses for welfare.

Hope you look into the suggestions and provide us an opportunity to work on a common platform with your team.

regards,
Sumit
9831546009
Club Kautilya

Manshu January 31, 2013 at 7:33 am

Sumit, you are welcome to answer questions on this thread, the forum or any other posts but I’m not looking for a guest post on financial planning at the moment because I don’t believe that’s what the readers are looking for from OneMint right now. Thanks for the offer and all the best with your venture.

Chintak Dholakia January 14, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Hey,

I have one request. Can you please guide as in how to start buying shares? What is the process? I am completely new to this field and i did’nt find any information about it. How to invest,what is the process, what are per-requisites i would require to buy shares. Take some example and explain, as in i have balance of say Rs.50000 to invest in shares, how should i go? how much should i invest in safe deposits, how much in share?

Kindly guide.

Chintak Dholakia
Newbie,unguided Share market enthusiast!

Anand January 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

I have lumpsum of 5 lakhs in hand.The amount was allocated to my kid from my parents. so i don’t want to use it’s return for any near future plan.Will be useful to my kif future purpose.

Pls give your suggestion.

Anand.R

Sumit Gupta January 17, 2013 at 10:02 am

Since holding amount in cash will depreciate its value year on year due to inflation. It is better to invest the amount in some safer instrument (debt). Investment can be done in your children name but if the are minor than any return from the investments will be clubbed in your hand. For investing always look at investor tax slab. If a investor is in higher tax bracket than tax free bonds are advisable whereas if an investor is in lower tax slab than investment can be done in Fixed Deposits or FMP or any other debt instrument. Since you would be utilising the fund for your children needs will i believe which is for mandatory goals so any equity exposure should be completely avioded.

regards,
CA Sumit Gupta

Anand January 17, 2013 at 11:00 am

Dear Sumit,

Thanks for the suggestion.
You are ture, i’m looking for safer investment.
Can i invest partially (1 lakh ) in PPF and say 3 lakhs in FD (nominatting my wife) .I’m more confused about investing remaining 2 lakhs.

Can i invest 2 lakh in buying bond or gold (form of coins or etf )?
or sub dividing the 2 lakhs into other 2 investment’s or something?
pls suggest.

Anand.R

Sumit Gupta January 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

First let me know for what purpose you want to use this 5 lacs fund ? Is it for children education or marriage. Before making any investment the objective of the investment should be given a concreate thought. Unless and until i know for what purpose you want to invest the amount, advising would be difficult task for a Financial Planner.

Anand January 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Dear Sumit,

The purpose of investment is, someway this money should be used for him.

Need not be for his marriage.Let’s use it for higher education.

Sumit Gupta January 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm

If the objective is for higher education than the asset allocation should be 100% in debt instruments. Check the investors tax slab and than make the investment. Investment can be done in Tax free bonds if the tax bracket is 20% or more. Income Fund can be a good option in this reducing interest rate scenario. For lower tax bracket better go for Fixed Deposit or FMP’s, March is a good time to invest in FMP since you can avail the benefit of indexsation prudently.

Anand January 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Hi Sumit,

Thanks.

He is below 4 years old and i’m looking for long term plan.

Which FMP is good? is there any FMP will give 3-5 yrs plan?

Sumit Gupta January 17, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Your son is 4 yr old so for higher education the investor horizon would be around 13-14 yrs. So it is advisable to invest in tax free bonds like HUDCO or IRFC where interest earn is tax free and in a down ward interest scenario the bond price would shoot up with every interest rate cut. The would be listed on exchanges so it can immediately liquidated as and when required.

Ramamurthy January 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Sumit
Problem with buying or selling Bonds in the Secondary market in India is lack of info like the Bond name,scrip name, quotations ,interest rate,maturity date.yield %,etc.Can you please let me know in which web site I can get all this info.As far as I can see edlweisse provides some of these data but it is only for NCD,s.Thank You

Ramamurthy February 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

Manshu
Can I get a response to my query.I dont want to trouble you but I am keen on this topic.

Sanjay January 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Is this the right time to enter or exit Mutual Funds?

Given that the market is at a two-year high, what should be one’s approach to Mutual Funds?

My situation: I have been investing in the HDFC Top 200 Fund (monthly SIP) since 2010. The investment was done with a view to hedge against inflation and build a retirement fund (retirement is more than a decade away). HDFC Top 200 is currently showing a net gain of 15.22% for me. Should I continue investing in the fund given that the market is at a 2 year high or suspend investing (but not sell/redeem my existing units) till such time the market falls again?

Can you explain how should one treat mutual funds? Are we supposed to keep investing them till such time we want to (in my case retirement) or are we supposed to sell/redeem when the gains are good (example lets say 30%) and then re-purchase when the market falls?

Ramamurthy January 17, 2013 at 3:16 pm

HDFC Top enjoys 4 star rating by Value Researchonline. As your target date is more than a decade my suggestion is to continue the SIP for 7 to 8 more years at the end of which you can redeem and invest in a debt MF.Valuerearchonline is a very good MF web site. Pl.see it.

Sumit Gupta January 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Dear Mr. Ramamurthy,

SIP can be an option but if u invest in debt Fund than the expense ratio and taxability on return must be seen also. Since debt fund generally gives you 8%-9% return but the post tax yields goes down lower to 6%-6.5%. With a inflation rate of 7.18% published last day it is a bad investment. Any investment which beats inflation creates Wealth. When you can get 8% tax free return from HUDCO Bonds than it can be one of the best investment, further with a down trend interest cycle this bonds would be traded at a premium once they get listed after the close of HUDCO issue on 22/01/2013.

regards,
Sumit
9831546009

Ramamurthy January 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Sumit
Yes sir, but, the current return of 8% to 9% is only in respect of short term debts.However some of the Gilt funds provides a return of 12 to 13%.Investment in Gilt funds is also as safe as short term debt.
But what is your advice to Sanjay.He wants to know whether he may suspend SIP now and again resume investing when the market picks up.I feel this is not correct.The whole intention of SIP is since we cannot time the market it is better to go on continuing SIP till the target date is about 3 years away.

Sumit Gupta January 17, 2013 at 4:18 pm

For Sanjay who wants to build his retirement corpus with his mutual fund equity SIP is a BIG NO NO. What happens if the equity market go down on the verge of his retirement, his whole retirement corpus would get a beating. Retirement corpus should have lower equity exposure and therefore the assets allocation should be more in debt than equity. Moreover SIP should be done with a objective of parking small amount out of saved discreationary expenses so that the amount invested in SIP would have been spent in luxury items like dinning out or muvie if SIP was not there. Further Sanjay should not try to time the market with his decision of whether to continue his existing SIP or not. He can vary well continue his SIP irrespective of what equity market is doing.

Ramamurthy January 17, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Sumit
So your advice to Sanjay.Get the **** out of HDFC Top.Invest in Debt cum equity MF tilted heavily in favour of Debt.
One such fund which comes to my mind is HDFC MIP long term. Some details of this fund are
Port folio Allocation Debt 75% Equity 25%
Previous Years Returns in %
Year Return
1 14.16
2 8.41
3 8.36
5 9.08
Rating ****
Source http://www.valuerearchonline.com
Returns are taxable.
Would you advise this?

kartavi January 17, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Manshu,
Please have a full post, covering reply to the questions of sanjay (January 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm)
It will be of a great guidance to many of us.
Regards.

Gaurav Bansal January 17, 2013 at 9:58 pm

A pertinent question that could be discussed is since now the sensex has touched 20k, the govt seems to be taking some policy decisions, US fiscal cliff avoided for some time, as an investor should I be doing anything different in terms of investing in MFs is concerned?

Rajat January 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

I suggest you include a review of bullion trading website bullionindia.in on this blog. The documentary requirements and whole process for trading looks so easy to me. Not sure about other risk factors
Hope you would like this topic for further research and publishing

Rajat

Ram Mohan Narasimhan January 18, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I have a query regarding the capital gains tax treatment of the newly introduced DIRECT PLANS of mutual funds. It makes sense for everyone to switch to the Direct Plan from your existing plan as over a period of time, the returns will be higher in Direct plan to the extent of about 50 bps in a year. All mutual funds allow this switch (with applicable exit loads, if any). My query is regarding the capital gains treatment of such switches. For instance, if the existing investments have all completed one year and hence they are eligible for tax exemption (if equity oriented), I do not have to pay tax on any redemption or switch. However, after switching to a direct plan, will the clock start ticking new for computing the time period of LTCG or will the old clock continue. In other words, would I have to pay Short Term Capital Gains tax if I redeem the units in Direct plan within a year of switch in?
This is an interesting topic and I would request comments from experts on this.

Ashok January 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Yes, the clock starts ticking again newly after the switch-in. The switch-in is considered a new investment. Only the exit load, from a non-direct plan to a direct plan, is exempted.

Ram Mohan Narasimhan January 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

If this is so, it is clearly unfair to genuine investors, whose interests SEBI is trying to protect. Not only do the investors have to take the trouble of doing the switch-in, they now have to contend with a lock-in for a further period of 1 year to avoid STCG. Clearly unfair. A better way would have been to make the existing schemes be treated as a direct scheme by default ie they should be asked to charge lower expense rates and have the brokers worry about having to enrol new investors into the regular schemes. This way would have ensured that the genuine direct investors continued in the direct plan without having to do anything.

Ramamurthy January 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Perhaps a better solution could be a suitable amendment to IT Act.

Ramamurthy January 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Dear Mr Rammohan
I am not very sure.The old title of ownership ends and a new title commences.The switch over is considered as a fresh investment and the clock starts on the date when fresh units are allotted to you under the direct plan. I, as a tax payer, hope I am wrong::::

saikiran January 28, 2013 at 1:24 am

hi
can u pls post topic – details about monetary policy and fiscal policy in india. how govt and rbi are involved in this

Ramamurthy January 29, 2013 at 10:45 pm

The lending rate at which RBI lends to other Banks is now 7.75%.I have few questions here.
1.How does RBI ensure that the money,s lent will be repaid by the Banks?
2.Is there a limit up to which Banks can borrow money from RBI?
3.Is it only the last resort or can Banks borrow money as a matter of routine even when there is no genuine need?
4.Can the money borrowed be used by Banks for purposes other than lending to their customers?
5.Can the Banks borrow and use the money for say investment purposes?

Ramamurthy

avinash January 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm

i have an query regarding the distribution of profits of MNCs working in india. for example,the citi bank releases the balnce sheet of entire south asia at once and does not release individual country profits.then it distributes the profits to its share holders across the world.is india not losing tax revenue ,when a company profits are moved out of country without paying tax?.if it is paying tax ,then how can the government be sure,it pays the right amount of tax ,if it is not disclosing the country specific balance sheet.

sameer shah January 31, 2013 at 10:16 am

Kindly enlighten us on interpretation of Bond Yields & its relevance in Debt fund returns… & how to apply this for maximising returns.

Hari February 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Manshu – can you do a post on Sec 80TTA which allows deduction of Rs. 10,000 on account of SB A/c Interest earned. Also does it allow interest earned in more than one SB A/c (total adding up to Rs. 10,000)

Manshu February 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ll give it a try.

Srinivas K February 6, 2013 at 6:27 pm

The benefits of National Pension System are being written in various publications. However the choice of fund manager depends on the past performance. Can anybody give some info on the returns of various fund managers under the NPS scheme over the last 1, 2 and 3 years ? Also can a subscriber switch between fund managers ?

DR GOPAL February 11, 2013 at 1:16 am

PLEASE REVEIW PURCHASING OF GOLD AND SILVER THROUGH BULLIONINDIA….WHETHER SAFE AND USEFUL……

Manshu February 11, 2013 at 3:50 am

I’m not familiar with this so I won’t be able to write about it.

Mohan Raj February 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I read this article “Have you invested in a ‘Level 10’ stock?Written by Surbhi Jain – Team MoneyWorks4me 25. Jan, 2013 ” Could you suggest some level 10 stocks we can invest in each sector ?

Manshu February 11, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I don’t even know what a level 10 stock is. This is not an appropriate topic for this website. The person who wrote the article about level 10 stocks should be the one who tells you the names of a few level 10 stocks.

Manjunath February 12, 2013 at 8:39 am

The internet is flooded with many fake trading tips advisory service. They make big big promises about giving profitable calls & after subscription they fail to deliver the promise. They even promise to refund the subscription amount in case if we are not satisfied by their service. When we ask for refund, they never respond to our requests. One such advisory I came across was Opt2Wealth. I had subscribed to their service & found that it is fake advisory. The track record uploaded on their website is fake. In my 8 months subscription, I never received the same calls indicated on their website. I even complained many times about not receiving calls as indicated in their track record. They never responded to my E-mails or never attended my phone calls. They had promised to provide at least 50 to 60 profitable calls in options but they hardly gave around 12 calls. Out of 12 calls only 3 calls made marginal profits & rest incurred huge loss. Now I’m requesting for refund on their terms, but as usual they are not responding. Therefore, I would want to legal action against them for failing to deliver the assured promise. Could you please advise me what is the legal options available to prevent such fake advisory services to cheat again & again.

Manshu February 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I am not sure about this, maybe log in a police complaint. I don’t know if SEBI specifically has a forum for these type of things.

Krunal February 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hi Manshu…
Can u pls post on securities lending schemes…
I have shares lying idle in my demat a/c and i dont intend to sell them for some years…..so how can securities lending scheme help me…
Thanks in advance..

Manshu February 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm

It is an interesting topic…I don’t know enough about it but I’ll see if I can find info and do a post on it.

zippy kumar February 12, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Dear Mr Ramamurthy,

Liked your views.Everyone is talking about how to invest for retirement but hardly anyone talking how to take care of monthly expenses during retirement years. i am 57 yrs old and have to retire early due to my health problems.I need rs 50k per month for my expenses.I have no loans pending.Have 1 daughter to be married and would need 20-25 lakhs in 2 years for the wedding.I have my own house and my investment are as follows:

equity- rs 45.0 lakhs

mfs: rs 25.0 lakhs

ppf: 15 lakhs

wbr,

zips

Ramamurthy February 13, 2013 at 9:19 am

Sir
I am not a professional finance planner and am just a retired person.
So if you want any advise about how to plan your retirement days and to achieve your planned objectives you may have to pose your query to some one else.I think you may to furnish more details like
1.where is your residence located and its market value
2.will you get any pension and other monetary retirement benefits
3.Furthur details of your Equity and MF investments
4.As you appear to have health problems whether post retirement employment is ruled out
5.Many economic newspapers and financial websites provide answers to specific queries raised by readers.

Ramamurthy February 14, 2013 at 10:00 am

It appears Govt in 2013-2014 may go in for lesser borrowings as they have sufficient cash.
Whether this is true or not I dont know.But,I do know that the Govt borrowings will influence the performance of Gilt Mutual funds.Can you please do a post on this?

Manshu February 15, 2013 at 6:51 am

I don’t think I’ll be able to write about this, a bit too complex for me.

santonu February 16, 2013 at 10:19 am

please present something about “Safety net in IPO”

Mohan Raj February 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

When investing in a mutual fund we are given the option of growth and dividend reinvest ; how do you decide ?

Manshu February 19, 2013 at 7:31 am

This is an interesting question which I’ve addressed once in this forum. Please go through it and I will also have a full post on it.

Narayanan February 19, 2013 at 6:25 pm

how does a Loyalty programs function. what are the benefits for the organisation on adopting Loyalty program?

Manshu February 20, 2013 at 2:09 am

What type of loyalty program are you talking about?

Narayanan February 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Customer loyalty programs done using Loyalty cards. Give a generic overview on the topic(covering all sectors) and give a detailed view in retail sector(single brand & multi brand retail)

Manshu February 21, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I haven’t paid much attention to these ever but I guess I can try doing an overview of them, it will be a good change for me too.

Narayanan February 21, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thanks in advance

Mehul Mehta February 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I want to know the details & working of HOME SAVER LOAN. Also, how does it stands apart from Home Loan.

Manshu February 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Good suggestion. I’ll write about this.

Mehul Mehta February 21, 2013 at 3:49 pm

thanks

Mehul Mehta February 21, 2013 at 3:51 pm

thanks. But where do you write can we get the link

Umesh February 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Here is an article on Home Saver Loan Scheme.
Hope the readers will find it useful.

PP February 24, 2013 at 10:53 am

You might have read about RBI’s restrictions on Rupee Bank.

Depositors will have to suffer until the bank recovers the unsecured loans given by it. Any thoughts on what should bank account holders should do to periodically check the financial health of the bank? Is it possible to save oneself from getting in such situation?

Manshu February 25, 2013 at 5:32 am

I think the first thing is to limit your exposure to co-operative banks. These things haven’t happened to other banks as far as I know. The second thing is to have your savings deposited in bigger banks and spread them around. If HDFC Bank or PSB bank were to fall under trouble then there would be a lot more action from RBI and government than in case of smaller banks.
The last thing is to keep an eye out for articles and quarterly reports of the banks you have deposits in. If you see reports of continuous losses or any other negative thing then it is time to move your money elsewhere.

The good news I think is that Indian banks are safer when compared to other banks globally and anything going wrong with them is rare.

Ams February 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Manshu,
A post on 2013 budget would be good. I see interesting trends in this budget of taxing the affluent people in all sections also nothing much for the general income tax payer.
Interesting budget I think.

Amit

Manshu March 4, 2013 at 5:07 am

Already done Amit!

Sanjay Singhaniya March 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm

In today’s Economic Times, there was a news that 1% TDS on sale of property costing more than 50 lacs will curb black money. I really wonder why it would happen? If a person can show 50 lac rupees on paper then why can’t he put 50 thousand rupees as TDS?

In fact, what I was thinking is it will cause even more underpricing of real estate on paper.

venkateswara Rao March 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Your articles are very informative and good.
I would like you to review on the health insurance ,Top-Up insurance,Critical Illness plans available in the market.

Manshu March 4, 2013 at 4:42 am

Thank you.

There is a post on top up insurance here which can be found at this link:

I’ll see if I can do a post on the other topics you listed.

ganesh March 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Dear MANSHU,
What is your opinion on HDFC NEST. Is it a fixed deposit or an insurance product.

Manshu March 5, 2013 at 6:53 am

HDFC NEST or HDFC CREST? I’m not aware of a product called NEST. Can you paste the link to its product page please?

ganesh March 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm

HDFC CREST PLAN. Sorry for the mistake

Manshu March 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm

CREST is not a fixed deposit, it is an insurance plan. Deepak Shenoy has done a post on this explaining the difference. You can see it here: http://capitalmind.in/2012/11/dont-buy-hdfc-crest-it-is-not-a-fixed-deposit/

K. Srinivasan March 6, 2013 at 6:05 am

Query Subject: Recent Budget-2013 change of DDT from 13% to 25% for Debt Funds

In the recent Budget-2013 PC has increased the DDT tax on Debt Funds from approx 13% to approx 25% . This has made Returns from investments in these Debt Funds, (esp for retirees with Monthly or Quarterly Dividend Payout options for having regular income) in these Debt Funds (vis-a-vis Bank FDs) unattractive. This may be affecting even Debt Conservative i.e. MIP funds?

My questions are:
1) Which classes of Debt Funds are affected?
2) What remedial action is suggested?

Some people have suggested switching toGrowth Option and then use SWP to get regular incomes. Is that a good option? If so, when to switch to Growth and what aspects to take care while doing so in terms of Short-Term Capital gains, Exit load windows etc.??

Would welcome a comprehensive reply on this topic. If already covered please proved a pointer link.

K. Srinivasan

Manshu March 6, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This is a great topic, and I’ll have a post on this soon.

K. Srinivasan March 6, 2013 at 8:06 pm

From what I hear (and read) the impact of DDT increase on Debt funds is such that Net Return would come down by 1% p.a. or so; which is a significant degradation. And the only way to counter this is to Switch to Growth Options (from Divd payout) in the same fund/scheme. I heard this Switch (of only Mode) will not incur any fund exit load and the Units will retain original “purchase dates” even after switch for future capital gains calculations.

However, Capital Gains (esp ST Capital Gain/Loss) will apply for switched Units. Hence best to ‘switch’ just after a Divd Payout when there is likely to be least STCG.

Further since this is effective from 1st June 2013 it may be advisable to wait till then to be sure its being implemented.

Still look forward to Manshu’s detailed post on this topic and confirmation.

K. Srinivasan March 7, 2013 at 9:55 am

Manshu, thanks for your detailed reply post on this topic yesterday. I have two supplementary questions based on same.

1) Where do MIP funds stand on DDT? i.e. before and after Budget 2013 (specifically funds like HDFC-MIP-LTP or Reliance-MIP).

2) If one just changes from Divd-Payout (or QD, MD etc.) to Growth in the same Fund & Scheme will the Fund’s Exit loads apply?

Manshu March 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

1. It depends on whether they are debt or equity. I believe most MIPs are debt plans. That’s identified based on how much equity to debt ratio they have. If they have 65% or more equity then they are equity else they are debt fund. HDFC MIP LTP is a debt fund, and as such will attract the higher DDT.

2. Some fund houses allow you to switch between funds of their own houses without incurring exit loads. You can look at the fund website to see if that’s the case.

santonu March 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Sir Why our govt is discouraging investment in Gold inspite of the fact that it is very much safe investment. Generally investor s are less likely to lose his money in gold investment which can be not be guaranteed in equity investment

Manshu March 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Because gold is imported from outside and we lose precious $$$ to foreign countries for paying for this gold.

Sandeep March 7, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Subject: Need your suggestion for long-term investment plan

My friend is school teacher and mother of 2 kids (5 yr, 1yr). She has ~1.50-2L in her saving accounts and wants to invest them for long term (10yr-15yr), to help higher studies of her childern. She expects to save ~50k per year in coming years as well and invest them also for same purpose. Her income is within zero-tax limit.
Can you please suggest what options serve her purpose well.

Manshu March 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm

This is an interesting question, I’ll try to address this next week.

Ramamurthy March 8, 2013 at 9:20 am

Mutual Funds are now thinking of investing in securitised loans as it gives them tax concessions
promised under the recent Budget.
This I think is totally antifriendly to investors.It is such loans which caused the financial melt down in 2008-2009 from which the world has never recovered.I feel the investors have to stay away from Fund Houses which invest in such securities.Do you agree?

Puneet March 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

Can an Indian citizen get a loan against property from a bank in USA?
The Interest rates of US banks are very low. What do you say?

Manshu April 9, 2013 at 6:55 am

No, not to the best of my knowledge.

santonu March 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

In early part of my carrier , I was a cenral Govt officer (17-18years ago)and i used to prepare RE( for current FY)/BE statement(for next FY ) in every september for the various projects in my unit based on feedback from field units.. I didnot not understand the meaning of RE/BE then , and never tried to understand. Now I am intersested to know what is RE(Revised Estimate) and BE(Budget estimate).Sir kindly explain

Ramamurthy March 9, 2013 at 9:23 am

One positive proposal coming out of the recent Budget is, Govt will introduce Inflation Adjusted Bonds.I dont know how it works but expect some thing like this example given below:
1 Face Value of Bond and tenure : Rs100 , 3 Years
2.Base Interest Rate: 8% payable once a year
3.Inflation Index Reference: WPI(CPI would be more Appropriate)
4.Inflation Index at the time of purchase of Bond,say on 1-4-2013: 100
5.Inflation index after 1 Year on 1-4-2014: 120
6.Interest you will receive on 1-4-2014 per Bond: 120/100*8=Rs 9.60
7.Inflation index on 1-4-2016 when the Bond will mature: 140
8.Amount you will get on the maturity date on 1-4-2016: 140/100*100=Rs140
Is this how it will work or it is too ambitious? Any thoughts please?
I also understand RBI have in their Publication dated 9-12-2010 have indicated their opinion
on the modalities of this Scheme.

Manshu March 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I believe Shiv is going to have a comprehensive post on this sometime this month.

Shiv Kukreja March 13, 2013 at 12:41 am

Hi Mr. Ramamurthy… I’m working on it and should complete it soon.

ganesh March 9, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Dear manshu,
I have invested in some mutual funds to the extent of two lacs of rupees. i have proposed furthur investment shortly. I would like to track their growth from my computer. Is there any software which will help me to link with market prices on daily basis so that i can know the status of my funds on the click of a button. I am not investment savvy and i am trying to become one in the long run.

Ramamurthy March 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Dear Ganesh
There are many websites which can do this.Just to mention 2 such sites
1.www.valueresearchonline.com
2.www.moneycontrol.com
Happy investing.

Manshu March 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm

You can use Moneycontrol to do this. I have an article on this here: http://www.onemint.com/2009/09/11/track-mutual-fund-navs-with-moneycontrol/

Dev March 16, 2013 at 12:13 am

I regularly read your blog.. Thanks for sharing these fantastic ideas and articles.

A thought came to me to make a stock market gains or loss calculator. Please provide me your email address so I can email you the excel sheet.

May be the sheet i made is immature but together we can improve it and share it with readers of this blog.

rajesh March 19, 2013 at 1:39 am

1-Dear Sir, I am working as Engineer and I took home loan on joint acount i.e myself is the first applicant and second applicant is my wife. my wife is not an employee just house wife. I registered the property on my wife’s name. when i submitted the loan statement in my orginastion, they are not accepting it. the reason they saaying is that the property is not registered on my name. can you please clarify this.
thanks for your help.
2- how can joint ( self +wife) in land property ,if property is wife name.

mintluver March 22, 2013 at 9:53 pm

tax rules for life insurance payment received outside india

Manshu March 26, 2013 at 6:07 am

I am not sure how you can receive insurance proceeds outside India and what the tax liability could be. I’m sorry but I won’t be able to write about this.

sandip March 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm

There is a saying that its lot more cheaper to hire the services of a Financial planner than go by the advise of free planners that you encounter every day (more so during the last quarter of the FY). Point is how do you locate a good one before you experiment with one at a considerable risk. Can you please advise.

Manshu March 27, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I have a small directory here of people that have answered comments on the site and who I have known for some time, you can take that as a reference.

Vikas Ganjave March 30, 2013 at 9:13 am

Can u write a article on difference between FDI and FII citing exampels??
Thanx

Manshu March 30, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Sure, good suggestion – thank you.

carnivas March 30, 2013 at 10:25 am

There are mediclaim policies offered by banks in association with health insurance providers. For example: All account holders in Punjab National Bank are offered a health insurance policy through Oriental, that is lesser priced than directly going with Oriental.

What is the catch here?

Navin Augustin April 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Recntly Supreme Court fined INR 100 crores to Sterlite industries for polluting the environment. My questions are:

Whom does Sterlite pay the amount and who takes the custody of it?
Who decides on how to spend the fine amount?

Manshu April 9, 2013 at 6:10 am

I’ve read about this too but I’m afraid I don’t know much beyond what’s already reported and I didn’t find the details of who the fine goes to.

J.JAIKUMAR April 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm

My father had an accident and he is insured with united india insurance (under corporate policy of my employer). To process the claim the tpa requires ORIGINAL XRAY COPIES. Do all insurance companies ask for it and if so how can be get back for our future reference

Manshu April 9, 2013 at 5:58 am

I am sorry I am not aware of this information.

Anshuman Ranjan April 6, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I was reading about the NPS scheme and realised there are 3 types of NPS accounts – Tier 1, Tier 2 and Swavalamban scheme.

Can I request you to cover the differences and features of these different types of accounts and what is better?

Anshuman

Manshu April 9, 2013 at 5:38 am

I do have a post on NPS here, but I can definitely write one pointing out the differences between the three different schemes. http://www.onemint.com/2010/09/27/a-primer-on-the-new-pension-scheme-nps/

Tanushree April 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm

My Income tax (TDS) refund is not coming through since the last 3-4 years. I am an NRI and the CPC says I have to apply to TIN-NSDL for changing my PAN address from Overseas address to local India address if I wish to receive a paper /cheque refund. I am worried:
1) whether the TIN-NSDL will issue another PAN card (which I don’t wish because I already have one on record)
2) If it will in any way complicate me in filing tax returns online.
Thanks in advance.

Manshu April 9, 2013 at 5:32 am

I’m sorry I’m not familiar with this at all, so won’t be able to answer it.