A money market mutual fund is a type of mutual fund that invests in ultra-safe or low risk securities. The objective of the fund is to preserve the capital of the fund, and it is rare to see the NAV of a money market mutual fund go below one. The NAV can go below one, if the securities do badly but it is quite rare to see that happen.
A Money Market Mutual fund is meant for people who wish to safeguard their capital, and park their short-term cash into a security that gives – steady but low returns.
It is also used by people who want to balance their portfolio and build in some safety. If you have a lot of stocks in your portfolio, then money market funds can balance your overall portfolio by providing capital protection.
Money Market Mutual Funds offer – securities of domestic and foreign issuers. They are securities that are inherently – high quality (low risk) short term securities that can have a fixed, floating or variable interest rate.
A money market mutual fund usually invests in the following type of assets:
1. US Government Securities
2. Securities that are issued by entities sponsored by the Congress, but not issued by the US Treasury. (Example – Fannie Mae)
3. Bank certificates of deposits
4. Banker’s Acceptance
5. Bank Time Deposits
7. Commercial Paper
8. Repurchase Agreements
List of Money Market Funds
There are different classes of money market funds, based on where they invest their funds. For example – a fund can invest its money in US T – Bills or in Municipal bonds.
Here is a list of some Money Market Mutual Funds:
- Fidelity Cash Reserves (FDRXX)
- Fidelity Money Market (SPRXX)
- Fidelity Institutional Money Market Portfolio – Class I (FMPXX)
- Fidelity Tax Free Money Market (FMOXX)
- Fidelity Tax Free Money Fund (FIMXX)
- Fidelity Institutional Tax Exempt Portfolio – Class I (FTCXX)
- Franklin California Tax Exempt Money Fund (FCLXX)
- Franklin Money Fund (FMFXX)
- Franklin New York Tax Exempt Money Fund (FRNXX)
- Franklin Tax Exempt Money Fund (FTMXX)
In addition – here is a list from Financial Week that contains – Top Money Market Funds.
3 thoughts on “What is a money market mutual fund?”
Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous
to and you are just extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.
I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually
a wonderful website.
I have started a ULIP ( SARAL JEEVAN PLAN) with Birla sun life in year MAY 2008 with half yearly mode of premium 9711 Rs ( 19422 per annum) . I have filled all the Premium with out any delay till yet . Now i have paid 8 premium ( 9711*8 =77688) and todays my total amount with my policy in around Rs 55000.
Please suggest me should I continue with the same or withdraw the Policy.