Suggest a topic

A lot of you reply to the daily emails with suggestions for posts, and I really appreciate that because it gives me post ideas, and I can write about stuff that is most relevant to you.

Normally, I take the gist of your suggestion; create a title of the post, and note it down on a virtual sticky note. But, the issue with this is that it is easy enough to miss an email, and sometimes the titles on the sticky notes don’t make any sense to me when I look at them later on.

So, I am creating a page here that is specifically for your suggestions for posts. You can leave a comment here suggesting an idea for a post, and if I know enough about the topic I will write about it.

That way we won’t lose track of anything you say, and if multiple people suggest the same topic for a post then I know that it should be written prior to moving on to other things.

Thanks for reading – and writing!

santonu July 4, 2013 at 8:55 am

Departtment of Post has applied for banking licence and being an govt of India entity should it be allowed to enter in the banking sector.

Shilpa Ganeriwal July 4, 2013 at 9:16 am

The recent full page advertisement in ET about the fixed deposit scheme launch by geetanjali jewellers looked interesting. THe interest rate offered was 11.5 %. I was looking for CRISIL rating or any such type but could not get.
My question is what could be the reason for such a way of raising money, is it something like an NBFC and how reliable could this be.

Manshu July 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Companies raise capital from the public in the form of fixed deposits all the time Shilpa so this is not new. I haven’t looked at this scheme yet but in general for all corporate FDs I feel that if you want to take advantage of the higher rate that’s fine, but a lot of your money shouldn’t be put in the same company because if something happens to that company then you are pretty much on your own. At least in the case of banks, there is some sort of implicit understanding that the RBI will intervene to save banks because of the risk the failure of any one of them will pose to the economy, but no such intervention can be hoped for in other companies.

Shiv Kukreja July 5, 2013 at 12:29 am
Shiv Kukreja July 5, 2013 at 12:41 am
Vivek July 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

Manshu,
few days you wrote about current deficit where you said the foreign countries want USD as their mode of payment and if they had accepted INR for their exports, Govt. of India could have printed as many INR currency as required. This might sound like a stupid question, but why cant GOI print INR, get it exchanged for USD and pay the foreign countries from whom it is exporting to reduce the current deficit.
Vivek

Girija Shankar Ray July 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Current Account Deficit ( CAD) means where Export < Import, you can put it in another way, like you export a pen @ USD 1 but Import a cotton @ USD 2, if you convert it into INR, you are receiving INR 60 but on the other hand spending INR 120, overall loss you are spending INR 60, so now the concern demand and supply of USD in India, the supply of USD is less and we are paying more INR for exchange of USD, therefore losing more INR for USD, and whenever you are doing any Import you have to pay them in USD not in INR. Govt have very less USD and many people are demanding the USD for the trade so there is a demand for USD and people are ready to pay more INR in exchange of USD so that INR is depreciating, and lastly government cant print more money because Government has to control the inflation, If you have more money your consumption will be more and demand for that product will more, if demand is more in very short period of time the price will go up. so printing more money is not the solution, it again will give you the same situation after a span of time what we are in present, so only thing can be done to reduce the CAD that is increase Export, and reduce consumption of Gold and Oil :) hope this will help you. Manshu please correct me if somewhere am wrong.

Manshu July 4, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Seems right to me Girija.

Manshu July 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Very simply Vivek, as you know the price of USDINR changes every second, and if the government simply kept printing currency it will impact the exchange rate negatively and you won’t get the same rate that you got before all the printing was done. The rate will keep worsening to 70, 80 or even a 100 – that’s why they can’t simply print.

ganesh July 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I wanted to buy a flat in Chennai, promoted by a small builder.

ganesh July 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I wanted to buy a flat in Chennai, promoted by a small builder. when I got the documents verified by the property assessor, I understand that the construction has deviated from approved CMDA plan by as much as 45%. Promoter is telling me that it is normal in Chennai and I can go for it.
Is it worth investing in such properties. Already some private financial institutions have advanced loans against this property and the remaining flats have already been sold out.
Can anybody give me suggestions.

Manjunath July 6, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Myself & my friend had applied for HDFC Bank credit card. Myself & my friend take home salary is between 23,000 to 28,000. He is having 2 home loans & once he was a defaulter of HSBC Credit card. I have only 1 personal loan & I have never taken credit card (or) nor I’m defaulter in any bank. After applying & submitting the documents, My friend had received the SMS from Bank informing that this application is under process. After nearly 10 days he received the Credit card. Where as I didn’t receive any SMS from Bank about confirmation of application. After few days I called the executive & requested to confirm my application status. He informed that due to poor CIBIL score my application is rejected.
Since I have very little liability & not a defaulter I was shocked to hear this. Therefore, sir what might be the reason for rejecting my application & could you please let me know the procedure for issuing credit card.

Prince Kapoor July 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

What are the pros and cons of Partial Reserve Banking system which is followed across the world? Does it mean somehow or the other perpetually there would be debt?

Manshu July 7, 2013 at 6:10 am

I think you mean fractional reserve banking? There is a great video about this and I think you will learn a lot about it from this video. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/macroeconomics/monetary-system-topic/fractional-reserve-banking-tut/v/overview-of-fractional-reserve-banking

I’ll see if I can write about it but most likely I won’t be able to do a better job than the link I already gave.

Saurabh Kesharwani July 9, 2013 at 3:31 am

Hi! Shiv,

As you may be aware of the corporate fixed deposit offered by the Unitech Group at a rate of interest of 12.50% for 36 months, I wish to know your view on this investment scheme.

I wrote to the Unitech F.D. customer service wanting to know their credibility in the absence of any rating from the rating agencies, to which I received a reply mentioning a point that they’ve been offering this investment schemes since 15 years now, apart from other benefits offered.

So what is your say in this?

Please reply.

Thanking You!
-Saurabh Kesharwani

Shiv Kukreja July 12, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Hi Saurabh,
If I were to invest my money, I would have avoided Unitech FD. I’ve seen people facing difficulties getting their money back on maturity. Instead you can invest in Shriram Transport NCDs. The fundamentals of Shriram Transport are good and the rates offered are in line with their previous issues despite falling interest rates.

Saurabh Kesharwani July 16, 2013 at 2:47 am

That’s a good point you shared, that you’ve seen people facing difficulties getting their money back on maturity.

Was it particularly Unitech?

And why do you think, is that so?
-because of the Group’s management, may be?
-because it’s an un-rated deposit scheme?
or some other reason?

Shiv Kukreja July 17, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I have come across three such companies/groups i.e. Yash Birla group, Unitech & JP group. But, I think it happens regularly with manufacturing companies with either weak managements, weak financials or weak fundamentals. I think rated or unrated FDs does not matter. Also, lack of strict legal action is one reason which makes these companies become careless about depositors’ money.

Saurabh Kesharwani July 24, 2013 at 2:24 am

I see!

Please elaborate ‘lack of strict legal action’, as I am starting to divert a little part of my investments in company FDs as well.

And, how much ‘strict legal actions’ are in place, in the context of NCDs?

Gulwant Singh Virk July 11, 2013 at 9:55 am

My topic is about service tax on Construction Services i.e. flats/apartments/floors sold by builders. Because I have noticed that rate of service tax is not charged in uniformity throughout India. In some states 12% is being charged and recently I got a advertisement regarding sale of flats at Goa where they are demanding 3.09 % as service tax.

My query is regarding component of service tax out of total price of flat
and rate of abatement. As all the builders are charging service tax on the total
price of flats, which is not right. i think that as per rules rebate for lower end
constructions is 75%, so taxable portion comes to 25% and for the higher end
constructions rebate is 70% and taxable portion comes to 30%. please clarify
if am I right, if so, then how to get the refund of excess amount charged by
builder/developer as service tax. So three questions arise:
(i). What is the rate of service tax on build up flats/apartments/floors
(ii) What is rate of abatement on such properties
(iii) What remedy is available if builder/developer is charging excess service tax

G S Virk

ganesh July 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Your understanding appears to be right, on the basis of what I learn from my charted accountant recently in Chennai. Tax is only for labor portion, which is assumed to be 25%.
But builders are not giving the correct picture.

Gulwant Singh Virk July 11, 2013 at 8:40 pm

But how to tackle these builders

ganesh July 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Your understanding appears to be correct on the basis of what I learnt from my charted accountant recently in Chennai. Labor charges are the only taxable portion under service tax, which is generally assumed to be 25%.

Ramamurthy July 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Understanding Hedging has always been a problem with me. As far as I have understood especially about currency hedging,it is just an insurance.Suppose I export a commodity to USA and invoice the importer say 100 Us dollar for the transaction.The goods are sent on 1-7-2013 and according to the agreed payment terms the importer has to pay me 100 dollars on the 90th day viz 1-10-2013.I do not know what will be the the exchange rate on 1-10-2013.So I enter into a hedging contract at 1dollar to Rs 58/-.This contract has a small price which I am prepared to pay. This will ensure I will get Rs 5800 on 1-10-2013 irrespective of whatever is the actual exchange rate which prevails on 1-10-2013.Is my assumption correct?If this is correct then how the cash profitability of a company is affected by the hedging gain or loss? In my opinion this is purely notional and does not affect corporate cash profit or loss.Am I right?

Manshu July 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Theoretically you are correct sir, but in the real world companies aren’t able to hedge completely, and some companies leave their positions un-hedged deliberately in order to take advantage of the exchange rate movements.

So all the problems that you see with Indian companies repaying their debt that they raised abroad is a result of these loans being un-hedged. So in the real world, these losses are not notional at all, they affect cash profit.

ankurm July 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Accounting of forex losses needs to be understood.

Revenue : On 1-7-2013 (Date of sale) in my account books, revenues are booked as per rate as on date of sale (lets say its 59 on 1st July).
Forex movement loss (timing): Now, when actual date of payment comes (1st Oct), rupee goes upto 60 (assume), so actual forex MTM gain is measured 60 (rate on receipt) minus 59 (rate on sale) =Re 1, accounted under non operating losses.
Derivative loss: But there is also a loss on derivative: hedged rate (58) – 60 (rate as on receipt) = 2 re. This is a real loss

Net there is a loss of Re 1, you incurred due to timing difference and derivative trade.

Ramamurthy July 16, 2013 at 7:10 am

I agree there is a possibility of cash loss in case the currency in unhedged.
But a report says that the profitability of TCS is likely to be hit by HEDGING loss.This is what I wanted to know.How could there be a HEDGING loss?There can be a nonhedging loss.But hedging Loss?

ankurm July 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm

So the derivative trade loss i mentioned in above reply is TCS’s loss. This means that assume in Quarter April-June, average market rate is 58, whereas TCS realises only 55 due to prior hedges, its a hedging loss. All hedges are measured against the prevailing actual market rate to measure their standalone effectiveness. And secondly, Mr Ramamurthy, forwards are obligations to pay, they are not insurance (you cant back out of contract if rupee depreciated). A real insurance in this case would have been buying put option on USD. Thus if dollar appreciated to 58, you may not exercise your put option (you only loose upto the premium)

Ramamurthy July 16, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Mr.Ankurm
My question is simple.At the time I invoice(1-7-2013) the foreign customer,the exchange rate is Rs 58 per Dollar.So I show a revenue of Rs 58 in my book. Simultanueosly, I enter into a FE contract,Call or Put option whichever is necessary to protect my Rs 58.I understand this is what is meant by hedging.So I have already hedged the transaction.I have NOT kept it open.
On 1-10-2013 my client pays me. Because I have taken hedging measure ,I get my Rs 58 irrespective of the actual rate of exchange which prevails.So where is the question of hedging loss? Whatever difference is there in foreign exchange is only a NOTIONAL loss/gain which does not appear in my books of account.So when TCS says it incurred hedging loss can we assume they have not hedged the transactions and kept it open?

ankurm July 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Mr Ramamurty. 2 points:

Firstly, if you buy put option at strike price 58, USD goes to 60, you will not get 58 irrespective of actual rate. Pay off on put option is Max (Strike price minus Market price). You will not exercise the option as market rate of 60 is higher. Your Net realisation would be 60 minus premium on option (lets say Re 1) = 59. The example you have in your mind is that of Forward or Futures. Lets understand that and its accounting.

The Hedging loss and forex fluctuations are separate heads required to be reported as per accounting standards. Yes, on a net basis, hedging loss is an opportunity loss to the firm (in case of forward, where by hedging at 58, you lost the opportunity to receive higher rate assume 60 I.e. rate on settlement date or balance sheet end). But as derivative transaction is entered with the bank/dealer (payoffs to bank or company); so separate accounting of this transaction has to be done. Therefore this 2 rupee loss on derivative transaction is classified in the accounts of TCS as “Hedging Loss”. Since, you asked what is hedging loss on TCS’ books, so I explained this concept.

ankurm July 16, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Secondly, I did a very basic analysis to prove the point, its bit more complicated. It is not necessary for transaction to be settled to be reported a hedging loss. You have to mark to market your receivables and hedging positions as on balance sheet end date. You have receivables outstanding on your balance sheet end date at weighted average forward rate of 55, that is marked to market against not the actual rate but the prevailing forward rate (as in offset position).

Ramamurthy July 16, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Mr.Ankurm,Thanks a lot.I have already taken much of your valuable time.I dont want to impose furthur.It will take sometime to fully understand you.I will do it and also do a little bit of digging.
One last question.If in the financial report of TCS I see a figure under the heading ” hedging loss”, what does it represent?Is it an actual cash loss or notional?An answer in simple words will be much appreciated.
Again thanks a lot.

ankurm July 17, 2013 at 6:32 am

Yes, its the notional loss we talked about (loss arisen due to decision of CFO to hedge). I was trying to explain the accounting for it.

Ramamurthy July 17, 2013 at 7:14 am

Mr.Ankurm,Thanks.You have confirmed what all along I was assuming.

ankurm July 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

Welcome. Hedging loss is indeed only on the position hedged. Manshu mentioned earlier that companies leave certain portion of sales unhedged, that is accounted under the head general “foreign exchange loss”, and is a real loss. (due to timing difference).

Generally, exporters take a call on amount to be hedged based on their net dollar position (Exports less imports & dollar liabilities). So, they leave certain portion of sales unhedged.

Rema July 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

I am 28 years old and without doing any research, joined the MetAdvantage Plus pension plan of PND Metlife paying 0ne lakh per year. I have given Rs 5 lakhs now and have Rs 5.25 lakhs to show for it (Accelarator mode). When should I get out of this? I understand that I have to pay tax the maturity amount unlike life insurance. Please let me know the tax implications.

Ramamurthy July 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

In an effort to protect Re against the rising Dollar,RBI opened a Pandora,s Box.The Bond Prices shot up overnight resulting in huge drop in NAV,s of debt mutual funds.Even Short term Liquid Debt MF,s were not spared. What was once thought” NEVER”,happened.Huge redemptions from debt mutual funds are being talked about.What is your take?

ankurm July 17, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Despite, all the macro economic gloom, I find HDFC Bank always reports 25-30% growth in net profits. This is phenomenal given its large base. Can we cover on banking sector performance and HDFC’s high growth in such a gloomy scenario.

Manshu July 18, 2013 at 7:40 am

I don’t think I’ll be able to do justice that such a topic requires Ankur.

Shiv Kukreja July 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Hi Ankur,
Today Kotak Mahindra Bank and Axis Bank also announced their Q1 results. Though Kotak suffered a bit on asset quality front, both the banks had a good quarter and investors gave a thumps up to both of them. Earlier IndusInd Bank announced good quarterly performance and I think other private banks like Yes Bank, ING Vysya Bank, Karur Vysya Bank etc. would also perform well.

The problem lies with public sector banks. I think their managements are inefficient and there is a lack of accountability as far as growth numbers and asset qualities are concerned. Though the scenario is gloomy, I think companies with good managements continue to run their businesses quite well. As always, companies in the manufacturing sector keep expecting some good policy actions from our inefficient politicians.

ankurm July 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Thanks Shiv.

Ramamurthy July 18, 2013 at 7:05 am

This is regarding the policy announcement of RBI on 16-7-2013.This means to a common man like me that in future the interest rates on borrowings will be higher.We all know that Govt of India is the biggest borrower.So my question is , if Govt wants to borrow money in future it has to pay a higher interest?

Manshu July 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

Shiv is writing a couple of articles that should address your comments from today and yesterday.

Ramamurthy July 25, 2013 at 7:19 am

Recently RBI have announced hike in the interest rates which they collect from Banks.So,it is tougher for Banks to borrow from RBI.They have to look elsewhere to borrow.Will this result in the hike in Bank FD interest rates?

Ashish July 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I have a query related to filing of ITR return.

If someone is not in India, he can file the income tax return online, how will he submit ITR-V?
Can he send a signed scanned copy of ITR-V to his relatives in India who can then mail post it to Banglore office or he is required to directly mail them the original copy from his current location? In the latter case is it really possible to send mail to a post bag from abroad?

Ashish

ankurm August 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Manshu, I also have the same question,

A C Doshi July 29, 2013 at 7:01 am

Re: Treatment of CORPUS FUND in the hands of individual member of co=op housing society
May I request you to advise me how the Corpus Fund is treated either as a Long Term Capital Gain or as a taxable income in the year in which it has accrued.
Thanking you,
A C Doshi

Ramamurthy July 30, 2013 at 7:25 am

Investments in Debt schemes of Mutual funds is in news.
I have the following questions regarding this
1.We are advised to invest in such funds which coincides our investment horizon with the fund,s average maturity periods.What is this “Average Maturity Period”?
2.For example the average maturity period of L&T Gilt funds is 9.18 Years.Does this mean to get best out of the fund if I invest in it to day I have to hold it for about 9 Years?
3.Does this also mean I should not be concerned with the day to day changes in the NAV of the Fund during these years?
4.Can we estimate to day what will be approximate NAV at the end of 9Years?.If this is not possible, how can knowing the average maturity period help us to make investment decisions?
5.I know the changes in NAV will occur because of changes in the market interest rates and NAVs can change if there are any defaults>
Thanks.

I Mirza July 31, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Manshu,
Every day I wake up to some sort of disappointing news about Indian politics and policies. Sometimes it makes me wonder if India is too big (in terms of size and population) to be managed by one government. State govts rely heavily on central govt and whatever policies (well intentioned or otherwise) fail to trickle down efficiently to the common man. I realize this is hypothetical but should India be divided into 2 to be better managed? I know this is an outrageous thought but how else can we expect to improve the situation? Please share your thoughts.

Manshu August 1, 2013 at 3:08 am

I share your disappointment but I don’t think size is an impediment. I think India has not done well because even after the progress made in the last two decades, Indian politicians and public alike don’t understand the benefit of free markets and capitalism.

The second term of UPA makes me wonder if anyone really ever understood this in India because it feels like all the reforms that were made in ’91 were due to the gun that IMF held to India’s head.

America and China are much bigger countries that have done really well. India itself was doing really well till about 4 or 5 years ago. I don’t think the country is un-manageable, there aren’t enough people who can manage the country well enough and there aren’t enough voters who truly understand what managing the country well means.

santonu August 1, 2013 at 11:07 pm

why does govt not take consent from minority shareholder/retail investors before taking a decision on divestment through OFS /stake sale or is it not mandatory for Govt to inform the investors.

Avinash August 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Hello,

I heard that LIC is closing its many popular schemes from 30/sep/2013. Schemes like Jeevan Anand, Jeevan Saral and Jeevan shree etc. What could be the reason?

Avinash August 3, 2013 at 12:39 pm

LIC CLOSING ITS POPULAR SCHEMES

Hello,

I heard that from 30/sep/2013 LIC would be closing Jeevan Saral, Jeevan Anand and few other well known plans/schemes. What could be the reason?

PP August 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I recently was considering buying additional term insurance from private companies and was talking to an agent in that regard. My question was that would the insurance that I buy be applicable globally? Someone might be a frequent foreign traveler or in future might become an NRI, but may not have a clear idea right now. His ambiguous answer was that you’ll have to report to the company everytime before your foreign travel! I find that as a lot of hassle and mostly impractical. Despite having an attractive premium it concerns me that these private companies might use foreign travel as a reason to deny claims. On the contrary, an LIC agent that I talked to very confidently denied any such requirement, claiming that LIC’s term insurance is valid globally and that is the reason why its premium is higher than private players. Another interesting point that he threw was that these private insurance companies reporting high claim settlement ratio is as outcome of just “settling” claims and does not necessarily mean paying the full sum assured amount. Thus, they negotiate over the amount to be paid, so even if they end up paying much lower than the SA, from IRDA perspective it is considered as claim settled!

On the same point, for NRIs living in the US, is there a significant difference in term insurance premium between US insurance companies and LIC?

Could you please throw some light on this topics. Thanks!

santonu August 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Dear Manshu,why are you silent on NSEL crisis . What are the reasons for strange upovement price for all basemetals in vommodity markets.

Mohit Golchha August 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm

In share market, brokerage value is charged on every buying/selling transaction. Is the value for the company(whose shares we are buying) or for the NSE/BSE who carries out the transactions or both. Can you please explain on how brokerage is split up for every transaction and the constituents of brokerage.Please link me some good article. Thanks.

Umesh August 15, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hi Mohit

Brokerage paid by an investor/trader is broker’s money. It has nothing to do with the Company or the Exchange. There is Turnover Transaction Charges that goes to Exchange, Service Tax and STT to Central Govt., Stamp Duty to State Govt., SEBI charges to SEBI.

Umesh August 15, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Hi Mohit

All these charges are charged and shown separately in the contract note. So there isnt any problem in distribution.

Mohit Golchha August 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Hi Umesh,

Thank you for correcting and understanding my question.Precise and vivid explanation.

subhash dey August 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm

which is the best portal for trading/investment calls free/paid subscription in India.

dns August 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm

About PPF
Can PPF account be maintained by NRI if it has been opened before the person was resident. A
Can a check from NRE account be deposited in PPF account if not can it be funded by resident money taken from wife’s resident account as gift.

dns August 18, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Can PPF account be funded by self NRE account. If not, can resident funds of wife taken as gift can be used to fund self PPF account.

ketki August 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm

What is the difference between DMAT account (e.g. icici direct account with icici securities) and an ISA account (Invest at ease by icici bank) . I am primarily buying mutual funds. they both offer same service with nominal difference in fees. Is there any difference when it comes to paying taxes ? Are they both paying STT ? DDT ? for buy and sell of MFs ?

thanks.

Ramamurthy August 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Right now NAV,s of almost all of them have taken an unprecedented hits and the jittery investors have resorted to wide spread redemptions at a loss.
These funds have different maturity periods.Perhaps,the investors will not exit from the funds if they know at the end of each day the maturity amount they will get if they hold on to the fund till the day the maturity period ends.I know the investors will have to face the default risk.At least they will know the maturity amount they are likely to get if there are NO default risk.
Why cant this data be published along with the NAV at the end of each day?

Vivek August 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

One interesting post would be as an advice to a lot of folks in their 30′s to 40′s on how to create a secure second income through safe investments so that they can quit their jobs and attempt to chase their passion / dreams or do a startup commercial venture. This is technically not retirement (as most retirement plans tend to be) but more of temporary suspension of income and how it can be offset in the most efficient way.

sunshine August 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Hello Sir,

I want to suggest a topic to your website…

the topic is about share market and sensex, bse, IPO etc.

Please write about these topics… I want more info from you…

Dr Nitin Bilgi August 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

Dear Sir
I would like to suggest a topic to check which are safe monthly income retirement schemes. which give good returns

Krunal August 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

If u are thinking a write up on Dollar vs Rupee..this might be an interesting article..
Please do read, and comment on this..pls
hope this interests u..
Thank u in advance.

Pankaj Bhatt August 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Dear Receipient, I am looking for retirement plan. Could you please suggest some good retirements plans (Fixed maturity & ULIPs) plan. My cuurent age is 32yrs. Regards

Pankaj Bhatt August 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Retirements plans

Rajesh Banavar August 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Keep hearing regularily, that Bond Yeilds is lesser now due to USD appreaction, could you Please let us know what exactly does it mean. If the Bonf Yeild is low, does it mean that the bonds are sold at lesser value, so the buyer would be benefited as the Bond is sold lesser than the face value of the Bond.
Thanks!

Sanjay August 27, 2013 at 9:04 am

How to Switch Personal Loan to Housing Loan:

I have taken personal loan for land purchase (which is not approved by local authority). After 1 year, Land is approved by Local Authority & I want pay balance loan as Home Load (Not as personal Loan). Is there any way to convert it.

shyamanta chakraborty August 27, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I have purchased a L & T infra Bond of amount 20,000/ at Guwahati, Assam. unfortunately, I have not received the original Bond paper till date. Neither my agent has informed me anything nor any information from you. kindly acknowledge me know the present status of my bond and how to get the original copy of it. At present, I have only the acknowledgement slip of the bond application form with me. Details of the bond applications, are as given below.

1. Name of Bond: L & T Infra Bond
2. Application No. 25883785, Dated 29-02-2012
3. No. of Bond : 20
4. Total amount of the Bond: Rs. 20, 0000/
5. Cheque No. 570126, dated 29/02/2012, SBI, Guwahati University Branch, ( IFSc Code of Bank : SBIN0002060 )

From:
Dr. Shyamanta Chakraborty
UGC-Academic Staff College, Guahati University, Guwahati,
P.O. Guwahati University, 781014, Assam
Phone No. 9859976185(M),
Email: ajrs1989@gmail.com, sc1234sc@rediffmail.com

sathvik August 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

The current rupee depreciating is mainly atributed to high CAD. So we need to export more.
But infact USA imports more than it exports and has high CAD. Infact it is higher than that of Indias. Then why isint dollars value depreciating.?

Ramamurthy August 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Sathvik
I think the reason why Dollar is not depreciating is this.US dollar is in great demand by International communities.eg If India imports Crude from Saudi India has to pay in Dollars.
Most of the international trade is in terms of Dollars irrespective of the currencies of the trading parties.
Let me confess.I am not a foreign exchange expert.This is only my guess.I could be totally wrong.

Amit August 31, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Recently some of the companies that issued FDs are on the brink of defaulting. I am personally struggling to get my principal and interest back from Avon Corporation and Ind-Swift Ltd (I am sure there are more such companies). I think it would be great to let readers know so that they don’t lose their hard earned money to these company FDs. If you search FD complaints for these 2 companies, you will find so many people who are not getting their money back. If you write article I am sure you will more people like myself who burned their hands by investing in company FDs.

-Amit Parashar

VikasG September 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hi Amit, Were these companies rated by rating agencies like CARE/CRISIL? What were there ratings? Thanks for reporting this, BTW. This needs to get more blog/media coverage.

Amit September 4, 2013 at 7:55 am

VikasG,

The FDs themselves are not need rated but the short-term or long-term debt of a company is generally rated. Both companies had reasonable debt rating and that’s why I invested. I am a regular reader or this blog and hope that the “FD scandal” will get its due space here.

VikasG September 3, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Manshu, you need to add forums to onemint. People are using “suggest a page” as a forum.

Manshu September 4, 2013 at 5:43 am

Actually there is already a forum on OneMint at this link: http://www.onemint.com/forum/

It is on top but perhaps I need to do a better job to publicize it.

nayan September 6, 2013 at 12:55 am

Please explain the NSEL crisis especially how short selling took place.

kabir bakshi September 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm

A lot of personal finance books written for US Citizens deal with ‘Individual Corporatization’ ie. forming an LLC or even a company to receive Investment income from fixed income, Rentals etc. The advantage seems to be that (a) a large no of expenses (Office, stationery,travel, Internet, Staff etc) can be deducted and only the residual profits subjected to tax (b) Assets are free from attempts at attachment through lawsuits, divorce suits etc. and (c) Ease of transfer to heirs as only the shares in the holding company need to be transferred, not every investment on its own.
What are your views on this topic regarding Indian citizens? Would it make sense for a person in the highest tax bracket who has just retired and got a large sum through VRS etc to form his own Investment Company and route subsequent income and expenses through it?
Initial research reveals that it takes just Rs 1 lakh in seed corpus to form a company in India!

Deepak Malhotra September 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I would like to request you to do an article on currency swap and how does it
stop the downfall of INR and also please give your long term view on INR.

Thanks n kind regards
Deepak

Ramamurthy September 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Can I a resident Indian individual walk into any Bank and get dollars at the prevailing rate of exchange by offering the equivalent rupees?If yes, suppose the exchange rate is Rs 66 per dollar
I give Rs 66 to the Bank and get 1 Dollar.I keep this 1 dollar and suppose the exchange rate at a future date is Rs70 per dollar I offer it and get 70 Rupees from the Bank.Can this be done?

Ramamurthy September 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

How come no one is talking about investment in international
mutual funds?Some of them are giving now an annual return of about 35%.