Can you use Amazon gift card to buy another gift card?

by Manshu on December 24, 2009

in Articles

According to Amazon’s policy, you cannot use your Amazon gift card to buy another gift card. This is broader than you may think. Most people understand this to mean that you can’t buy another Amazon gift card, and that is true, but in addition to that, — you can’t buy any other gift card such as a Target gift card also.

The Consumerist had this interesting piece about a reader who wasn’t able to use his gift card on something that was discounted by being bundled with another gift card. For example, if Amazon was giving you a $50 gift card on buying a Kindle, — you couldn’t use your existing Amazon gift card to make this purchase.

So, two gift cards don’t go together. In summary, you can’t use it in the following ways:

1. You can’t use an Amazon gift card to buy another Amazon gift card.
  2. You can’t use it to buy any other gift card.
  3. You can’t use your gift card to buy anything that is discounted by being bundled with a gift card.

At first I was a little surprised at how so many people are interested in swapping gift cards, but as I read more about this, — I realized there are many situations where it makes perfect sense to do this. The reason I found most interesting was to try and get around expiry dates. This of course, isn’t applicable to Amazon any more, since their cards don’t have an expiry date. I read a couple of forum threads where people were discussing about what to do with their cards that were about to expire soon. They were talking about the expiry date coming soon, and since they couldn’t think of buying anything, — they were wondering if they could get another gift card, and in turn — extend their expiry period. I thought this was really clever, but unfortunately it isn’t allowed by most retailers.

It is a good idea to be aware of how you can’t use your gift cards because a lot of times they remain unused, and that is just a waste. Using it to buy another gift card doesn’t work, so if that was something you were planning on, then you need to think of another way of using it.

Bucksome December 24, 2009 at 6:03 am

I learned this while Christmas shopping at Amazon. My cart included toys for my grandson and a gift card for his mother. If you include a gift card in your basket the option to apply gift card funds to the purchase is not available.

If I had your article last week it would have saved me a call to Amazon’s customer support.

Manshu December 24, 2009 at 10:30 am

I think they should relax this rule because it causes inconvenience to a lot of people, and doesn’t seem to serve any real purpose.

Gen December 31, 2009 at 5:21 am

Can you buy one thing with two gift certificates?
I want to buy Sims 3. and I have one girft voucher £25 and a £15 one, and the game costs £26.50..
Can I do that?

Manshu December 31, 2009 at 5:52 am

Haven’t tried this myself, but this thread here speaks about the same thing and says that it can be done:

Add the gift card to your account, and then use the gift card option while payment, and you should be good.

rinto January 31, 2011 at 2:51 am

If we redeem first the the gift card into our Amazon account balance, then buy another amazon gift card using the balance, is it possible?

Manshu February 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

I really don’t know about that Rinto, and actually this is the first time I’m hearing about this way of doing it.

Anonymous December 2, 2011 at 5:55 am

Just tried that. No go.

Me December 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm

There’s no way to buy a gift card with existing gift card credit – the option for it doesn’t even show up; just wants me to use normal payment methods even though I got boatloads of amazon gift card credit (all from credit card bonus offers). It sucks. I just want to send some to my coworkers for the holidays but no go.

Sojan March 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

You cannot buy another gift card, but you can use many gift cards to buy one order at amazon.

anon March 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I know this post/thread is old, but I thought someone might find it useful. Although you can’t technically do this, there is a way around it and it comes in the form of gifting Kindle Edition books. You can use your gift card balance to buy a Kindle Edition book for someone else. Just deliver it to them via the email/amazon account they wish to have the balance on. When they receive the book, instead of accepting it, just return it. Then it gets converted to a gift card balance and bam, you have successfully transfered your gift card balance. I guess you could technically do it with actual items, but it just gets messy having to deal with shipping. This is much cleaner.

san March 27, 2014 at 10:21 pm

You cannot do this now.

Nazz December 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Hi. I will be getting a Amazon Gift Card from mturk.
Can I use on Junglee.com (an amazon company in India) ?
Can we use Gift Cards on other than amazon.com?
There are many sites which say ‘an amazon company’.

alister March 4, 2013 at 12:14 am

at present you can not buy from junglee

Manshu March 4, 2013 at 4:39 am

Yes, that’s right, the Indian laws on FDI don’t yet allow that.

Ken April 8, 2013 at 3:36 am

So my question: Is this Amazon applying their own brand of social engineering towards regifting, and telling me how I should manage my gifts or being greedy about maximizing their revenue?

Charles June 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

Well this is just annoying me. I got a $100 gift card for amazon thinking I could buy some new games. I wanted to buy a gamestop gift card and then use it for some sweet games, but amazon won’t let me. And also I can’t purchase anything because I don’t have a credit card on my amazon account and I am not even old enough to have one either! So I have to wait until I am old enough to get one and even then all I want is money in my steam wallet which is from the gamestop gift card that I can’t buy. If I had known this before I redeemed the card I would have returned it to get my money back. I am never getting a gift card for amazon again.

Khairul December 4, 2013 at 3:49 am

A friend of mine helped me in the time of need and I thought of buying them an e-voucher using my existing balance. Of course, I wasn’t able to and I found out that the T&C’s don’t allow it. I was wondering what was the wisdom behind that rule, and so I ended up on this page.

Thanks for the succint explanation. It makes perfect sense because, aside from the expiry date reason, the whole point that Amazon even offer e-vouchers is so that the money is spent exclusively on their products rather than using them as a go-between to convert money into a voucher for another retailer.

jess June 12, 2014 at 10:40 am

well, I know this isn’t optimal. AND you won’t get the full amount. But you could open another amazon account, sell lint on it or something no one would buy. or perhaps an over priced normal #2 pencil. log out. log in with your account with the gift card. buy item with gift card. log in to seller account, send item using your own postage, suck it up and accept the seller fee reduced from your total sale. it’s not as much, but it is in the other account (or bank account).