Tata Motors Fixed Deposit Plan

by Manshu on April 6, 2009

in Investments

tata-nano2

Tata Motors recently announced its Fixed Deposit plan, which is open for subscription to Resident Indians, NRIs, HUFs and Registered Societies, among others.

The fixed deposit plan has generated quite a bit of excitement, as it gives a yield of 12.83% on its 3 year — Cumulative Deposit Plan. Remember, this is the yield and not the interest rate. The interest rate remains 11%, which is still pretty high for a fixed deposit.

I think the frenzy generated by the launch of Tata Nano — the cheapest car in the world has easily over-shadowed the credit downgrade of Tata Motors to B+ by S&P (second one since last December).

From FT:

“S&P cited deteriorating cashflow stemming from Tata’s $2.3bn acquisition last year of Ford’s Jaguar and Land Rover marques as among the reasons for the downgrade – the second by S&P since December.”

Tata Sons is the parent company of Tata Motors and is one of the oldest, biggest and most reputed Indian conglomerates. So it is difficult for most Indians to even consider the idea that Tata Motors will default on its debt — S&P or no S&P, and of course the recent crisis where large banks and insurers are stuck holding toxic / legacy — AAA paper — has raised a lot of questions on the credit rating agencies themselves.

Tata Motors Fixed Deposit Plan Schemes

Here are the two schemes that an investor can choose from:

Scheme A

Quarterly Income Plan

tata-motors-fixed-deposit-scheme-a

Scheme B

Cumulative Deposit Plan

tata-motors-fixed-deposit-scheme-b

Tata Motors Fixed Deposit Plan – For NRIs

NRIs can invest in the Fixed Deposit Plan if they deposit the amount from their NRO Account and this amount doesn’t represent an inward transfer from a NRE / FCNR (B) account. Interest will be deposited in this NRO Account and NRIs need to submit their Indian address while making the application.

Tax Deduction at Source

Tax will be deducted on source from the interest of this Fixed Deposit Plan according to the provisions of the Income Tax Act 1961 for residents and NRIs.

For NRIs — the tax will be deducted at source, as the current provisions of Income Tax Act 1961 doesn not allow interest exemption on interest earned from deposits with companies.

Subscription to Tata Motors Fixed Deposit Plan

You can subscribe to this plan through your broker.  ICICI Direct has a link to it where you can subscribe to it online. If your broker doesn’t have the facility to subscribe to this plan — then you can also submit the application form at select bank branches.

Tata Motors Contact Page

This site is not related to the Tata Motors FD in any way, and if you applied for the FD and haven’t received any acknowledgment, please go to the Tata Motors page for investors.

Link for Tata Motors Investors Page

On this page, there is a phone number that you can call, and an email address that you can use to write to them about your concerns. Please use those resources to get an answer to your question.

Image Source: Tata Nano Gallery

Disclosure: I have not applied to this fixed deposit plan at the time of writing.

This site has regular features about IPOs, FDs and other investment ideas, if you would like to get that content by email, please click here.

Update: Tata Motors Investor Relations link included at the end of the page.

S.B. RAM April 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Can NRI make the deposit from his NRE A/C and if so repatriation facility is available or not.

S.B. RAM

Manshu April 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM

S.B. Ram,

The prospectus says that deposits from NRIs will only be accepted from NRO accounts and that too — only when they don’t represent a transfer from an NRE account.

From the document:

“Deposits would be accepted for a maximum period of 3 years provided that deposit shall be placed to the debit of NRO
accounts only and amount deposited does not represent inward remittance or transfer from NRE/FCNR(B) accounts into a NRO account. Payment of interest as also the repayment of deposit shall be made only by credit to the NRO”

Vijay Nemade April 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Sir I am interested to invest few money in your scheme can I invest online or suggest me other ways for investment
I am wating your suggestion.
Vijay Nemade

manshuv April 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM

You can apply to the scheme by getting in touch with your broker only. This site or none other like this can help you in getting this scheme.

Ketan R Khetia April 17, 2009 at 3:21 AM

I heared that u have reduce the interest rate ? is it right ,if i want to invest some money in ur scheme with same intrest earlier is it possible pls. replly so i can invest my money in ur company or any other sceme.
My Mobile no 9820046810

Manshu April 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM

They have not reduced the rate of interest to 7%. You can still get it at earlier rate, please check with your broker.

Basil Joy April 22, 2009 at 3:55 AM

i want to know the exit load of tata motors if we withdraw the amount in 3 months

manshuv April 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Basil,

The form does talk about premature withdrawal and says that it is allowed solely at the discretion of the company and that they will deduct the brokerage paid by the company at the time of deposit.

Mir Hasan Ali April 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Sir I am interested in investing in TATA MOTORS fixed deposit scheme. Firstly please tell weather this scheme is still available. Secondly I am thinking of investing around 50 lakhs in this scheme. Can you guide me that I am not taking any risk by investing in TATA scheme.

Manshu April 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

@Mir, There is a little risk in investing in this scheme as it is a FD from a corporate. If you are looking for something that is risk free or very little risk please invest in government securities or fixed deposits with SBI.

@Keki,

Please get in touch with Tata Motors for your query. This site is not related to them in any manner.

This is the link you can use to post your query:

Click on Investor Query and fill out the form.

keki k khokhri April 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Dear Sir /Madam,

I am holding FDR No 94450 dated 04.03.09 in name of Pervin Rointon =
Khokhri. of TATA MOTORS

In your covering letter you have mentioned that I will get the interest =
on 31.03.09 for the period 04..03.09 to 31.03.09 amounting Rs. 253 /-

Please note that till today I have not received any interest form your =
end.Kindly look in to the matter any reply me at your earliest.
Awaiting your reply on above email id

keki khokhri

C M Mukherjee April 27, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Ref : Fixed Deposit Certificate No 131880
Sub: Correction of status as Shareholder whose Client Id is 10264691 under DP ID IN 302105 of Eureka Stock & Share Broking Services Ltd. and make necessary correction in ECS amount at the rate of interest as applicable to a Shareholder.

We introduce ourselves as Business Associate of Karvy Stock Broking Ltd. Under code no 48107.
We have canvassed “FIXED DEPOSIT” of Tata Motors on 31/03/2009 to Mr. Basudeb Das who is your shareholder of Tata Motors as given above.
But we regret to inform that our client Mr. Basudeb Das has received a “FDR Certificate No. 131880” under category of “ PUBLIC” and received a Statement of ECS at the rate of 11% as applicable for “PUBLIC”. Whereas he has applied under category of “ SHAREHOLDER” and clearly ticked in shareholder category in the application form and necessary documents i,e stock holding statement of Eureka Stock & Sharebroking Services Ltd. attached therewith.
Therefore we request you to correct the status of the Client as “SHAREHOLDER” and remit the differential amount of interest through ECS in his Bank with interest of @ 11.5% which is applicable for a Shareholder .

Your early action in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Yours Faithfully,

C M Mukherjee

Partner
Ace Financial Services
(Business associate Code of Karvy 48107)
Copy to 1) Tata Motrs
2)Mr Basudeb Das

sunil kumar sharma May 15, 2009 at 3:57 AM

can i know the risk factor while investing in tata motor fixed deposit

Hemanshu bavisi May 19, 2009 at 3:11 AM

I also want to apply for this Fixed deposit..
how do I apply..below is my number help me out..

Hemanshu.

Prashant Sharma May 20, 2009 at 6:04 AM

Sir I am interested in investing in TATA MOTORS fixed deposit scheme. So please tell weather this scheme is still available.

Justin May 20, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Dont invest. Nano is going to be a big flop.

Pradip Kumar Nandi May 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Please tell what was the rate of interest on Tata Motor Fixed deposit on 24.4.09

Deepak goyal May 29, 2009 at 4:55 AM

sir
i want to know this how much interest on fd nd how much comission on it

padmanabhan k iyer May 31, 2009 at 8:52 AM

sir

would like to know the latest Fd rates, kindly provide the details
and also how NRI can Invest and can they repatriate the same.

whats the commission for the FD’s

regards

manshuv May 31, 2009 at 10:24 AM

@Padmanabhan: Do you have a NRO account? That should be enough to get started. If not then you need to look at getting this first.

Yash Jain June 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Please give me the deails of how to apply & how to apply & where to apply.

Yash Jain June 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM

please give me the details of application

subhendu June 15, 2009 at 5:59 AM

How can i apply for this FD ??

chhaya Salvaji June 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I also want to apply for this Fixed deposit..
how do I apply..below is my number help me out..

chhaya

Amit Ranjan June 19, 2009 at 11:07 PM

hi
we are looking fixed deposit for six months to one year rs in cr.
so i want interest rate and prematual charges(before six months or one year withdrawl)

AK Anand July 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM

what is the rate of tax in Tata motors fixed deposit ?

Garima aggrawal July 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I am an employee of TCS .
1. What will be the rate of interest for fixed deposit cumulative deposit plan for term 3 years ?
2. Also can I open a recurring deposit for 3 years contributing 5000 a month ? what would be the rate of interest and maturity value?

garima

Krishna July 15, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Thank you for the article. Apart from tata motors, Mahindra Finance also offering Fixed Deposit schemes.

nirav July 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

hello sir,
i want to know if tata motor willn’t be successful in their bussiness, we could loss our principle amt deposit and earned interest. also the risk factor for tata motor fixed deposit plan. your advice will be very helpful to me.
thanks

Manshu July 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Yes Nirav, if they do very badly then you could lose your money. For that to happen though something very drastic will have to happen and before that the shares will go to zero.

mehnaz Junani Sait July 30, 2009 at 6:43 AM

my parents are inerested in ur F.D, as they dont have any Demat account so how they can apply.

padmanabhan k iyer August 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM

hi
your parents can apply for the plan no need of demant account
only concern is as per new norms of Tata any one want to invest
to hold atleast Tata shares

for more infotmation can call at 09821055617

mehnaz Junani Sait July 30, 2009 at 6:44 AM

we want to invest in tata motors fd
thanking u

padmanabhan k iyer August 9, 2009 at 11:25 AM

hi

for more infotmation can call at 09821055617

Sujith Muraleedharan August 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Please let me know whether FD scheme is still available. If so, i would appreciate receiving application form for this and how to pay the money and also the eligibility to join in the scheme

padmanabhan k iyer August 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM

hi
yes its still available and you can apply for the plan only concern is as per new norms of Tata any one want to invest to hold atleast Tata shares

for more infotmation can call at 09821055617

raqeeb ahmed August 9, 2009 at 1:16 AM

i want to invest in fixed deposit Rs 100,000/- for 5years plz send me some reply in my email.

padmanabhan k iyer August 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM

hi
ok you can invest in the plan only concern is as per new norms of Tata any one want to invest to hold atleast Tata shares

for more infotmation can call at 09821055617

VISHAL SHARMA August 10, 2009 at 5:45 AM

for three years only

prashant August 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM

i am interest deposit in Fd in TATA Moters can you suggest Visakhapatnam in Andhrapradesh Address please.

Hanish August 18, 2009 at 7:43 AM

@padmanabhan k iyer: but how many shares i should have? and what will be the cut-off date for that? and is it valid for any tata company or only for tata motors share? Please inform..
thanks

padmanabhan k iyer August 19, 2009 at 7:41 PM

you can hold any TATa company shares and even 1 share of Tata makes u
a shareholder.

Hanish August 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

@ padmanabhan k iyer : thanks

Lakshmi August 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I want to invest fixed depositof Rs.2 lakh for 3 years.How much interest I will get per month? For Senior Citizen how much?

padmanabhan k iyer August 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM

hi lakshmi

the new rates are
Period Int rates
2yrs 8%
3yrs 8.75%

1) Min amt – RS 20000/- & in multiples of Rs 10000/-& For Monthly Int – Min Amt- RS 1 lac.

2) 0.25 % p. a. additional int for Senior Citizen -6o yrs

fyi pls

you can call me at 09821055617

FSS (Financial Service Specialist)/LUTCF / AMFI/CIIP/NCFM

avinash bhatnagar September 15, 2009 at 11:04 PM

could you plz inform me about the current status of rate of interest for tata motors for payment of monthly & quarterly and any other plans in detail waiting for reply…

padmanabhan k iyer September 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM

the new rates are
Period Int rates
2yrs 8%
3yrs 8.75%

2) 0.25 % p. a. additional int for Senior Citizen -6o yrs

fyi pls

you can call me at 09821055617

FSS (Financial Service Specialist)/LUTCF / AMFI/CIIP/NCFM

avinash bhatnagar September 16, 2009 at 11:48 PM

could you tell me the tata motor’s current cumulative plan interest rates…..

padmanabhan k iyer September 17, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Tata Motors Ltd. ( From 26th Aug 09 ) 20000 8% for 24 months 8.75 36 months Qtrly/cum
Senior Citizen/ Shareholder – 0.25 % p a extra Minimum Amt 1 Lakh & above
fyi
09821055617

rahul jain September 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM

i wish to know whether the F.D. scheme is still on from tata motors ( 22/9/09) & also whether a minor w/o a demat a/c can apply or not?

AGARWAL RUCHIN September 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM

I WANT TO INVEST 2,00,000 IN YOUR F.D SCHEME FOR FIVE YEARS, PLEASE TELL ME THE BEST RATE OF INTREST YOU CAN GIVE .THANKYOU

padmanabhan k iyer September 30, 2009 at 11:42 PM

dear mr Ruchin
pls find below the rates
my area of specialization is to provide my clients best Financial solutions
based on thier Future Financial goals
hope we could get together and understand more
regards

Senior Citizen/ Shareholder – 0.25 % p a extra Minimum Amt 1 Lakh & above
fyi
09821055617

Santosh kumar gupta October 3, 2009 at 4:55 AM

So far I have not recd my FD inspite of more than three weeks which was of 50000=00 cheque was of PNB indore,PL let me know the status.

Santosh kumar gupta October 3, 2009 at 4:57 AM

Sudha gupta did not recd FD of 50000=00 .Cheque was of BOI INDORE

sudhagupta October 3, 2009 at 4:59 AM

Sudha gupta did not recd FD of 50000=00 .Cheque was of BOI INDORE

kersey dhondy October 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I wish to contact Tata Motors reg.FDR No.233740.Could I please have their email address.

Manshu October 13, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Here is the link that has their contact information:

This is the email listed on the page:

inv_rel@tatamotors.com

Maulik Gor November 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I want to invest in TATA Motors so kindly Provide the details about ue scheme like Interest Rate.

MP Shukla October 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Can I invest in Tata Motors Fixed Deposit Scheme no and if so what is last Date.
Some agent can cotact me urgently.
mpshukla

MP Shukla October 14, 2009 at 4:39 AM

Reply to my querry has not been given . How can I give my comments.
mpshukla

padmanabhan k iyer October 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM

dear mr shukla
pls find below the rates
my area of specialization is to provide my clients best Financial solutions
based on thier Future Financial goals
hope we could get together and understand more
regards

Senior Citizen/ Shareholder – 0.25 % p a extra Minimum Amt 1 Lakh & above
fyi
09821055617

Dr. Y. Singh October 16, 2009 at 2:23 AM

I am interseted to deposit some money in your company. Whether this scheme is still continuing? Whether you also give some senior citizen incentive?
Kindly send the forms on line

padmanabhan k iyer October 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

dear dr.Y.singh
wish you & your Family a very Happy Deepawali

pls find below the rates
my area of specialization is to provide my clients best Financial solutions
based on thier Future Financial goals
hope we could get together and understand more
regards

Senior Citizen/ Shareholder – 0.25 % p a extra Minimum Amt 1 Lakh & above
fyi
09821055617

Y. Singh October 17, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Whether Fixed Deposit Plan OF 11% for three years deposit is still continuing?

Sharad Desai October 18, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Latest Interest Rate for Fixed Deposit Scheme. For Senior Citizen, whether extra Interest Rate is available?

padmanabhan k iyer October 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM

dear mr desai

wish you & your Family a very Happy Deepawali

pls find below the rates
my area of specialization is to provide my clients best Financial solutions
based on thier Future Financial goals
hope we could get together and understand more
regards

Senior Citizen/ Shareholder – 0.25 % p a extra Minimum Amt 1 Lakh & above
fyi
09821055617

Maulik Gor November 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I want some onformation about Fixed Deposite in TATA Motors so pls inform me for investment.

Thanks.

Maulik Gor
+91 95587 77277

vikas bhardwaj November 10, 2009 at 5:27 AM

i am staying in sector-17,faridabad and would like to invest in tata motors fixed deposit scheme.please provide me with the current details .also give me the contact person details in faridabad

SUSHIL KUMAR SHASTRI November 11, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I am wating your suggestion.
SUSHIL SHASTRI

RAMIT GUGLANI November 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I WANT TO INVEST IN TATA MOTORS FD .PLEASE REVERT ME BACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Hardik N.Ganatra November 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM

I want to invest in TATA MOTORS FIXED DEPOSIT SCHEME,URGENTLY,
pls call me on :9924078784.

POONAM SHARMA November 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I have already invest into TATA MOTOR FD Scheme…GOOD opportunity…
Must invest in it…

Mahesh Kumar November 19, 2009 at 5:56 AM

I want to invest in TATA MOTORS FD scheme

suggest me

naresh kumar nayak December 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM

I want to invest in TATA MOTORS FIXED DEPOSIT SCHEME
pls call me on :9509836639

MP Shukla November 20, 2009 at 5:14 AM

Myself and my wife Srojini Shukla have already subscribed but we have not received any intimatation although one month has passed. Tata motors must send me the intimation immediately.

Binod Kumar Prasad November 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Please guid the invest process

REgards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Binod
9370717616

Manoj Goswami November 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I want to invest in TATA MOTORS FIXED DEPOSIT SCHEME,
call me on : 09319499860 Agra Uttar Pradesh

Avtar Singh November 30, 2009 at 3:56 AM

I wish to invest in tata motors .
Pl call me on 924607022

C.R.SONPETHKAR November 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I WANT TO INVEST IN FD CUM SCHEME B.
PL ADVISE ME.
CONTACT NO 9371810433
E MAIL crs2003_in@yahoo.co.in

N Krishnan December 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM

Yes – I want to do FDs in Tata Motors.

Can you send me the details of rate of interest etc. and the schemes to my above mail id. so as to make investment.

Also send me the forms and where the same have to be submitted with address and telephone numbers etc.

padmanabhan k December 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM

dear mr krishnan thnx for your interest
would appreciate if you could provide with you mail id
or u can send a test mail to my id apsfinserv@gmail.com.
regards padmanabhan k 9821055617

N Krishnan December 1, 2009 at 3:07 AM

going to be the first time invester in tata motors FD.

Avtar Singh December 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Pl send me detail of F.D. Rates , New application form & address where i have to submitt the same.

pushpak December 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM

I WANT TO INVEST IN FD CUM SCHEME B.
PL ADVISE ME.
CONTACT NO 9990903821

v.karuppaiya December 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM

sir,
i am interested to invest in tata motors @11% rate , monthly income plan, pl advice me whom and where to contact.
i am in salem/ tn /636007.
my cell 9944437212.
urgent please.

RASESH DALAL December 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I WOULD LIKE A FORM OF TATa MOTORS FIX DEPOSIT ON URGENT BASIS. WAITING FOR THE FORM ON MY EMAIL ADDRESS THAT IS rsshdalal@gmail.com

Ranjit kumar singh December 7, 2009 at 9:09 PM

i am interested to invest in tata motors @11% rate, monthly income plan,pl advice me whom and where to contact

i am in ranjit kumar singh
09242603110

Gautam Rastogi December 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Send me a Tata Motors Fixed deposit form at the earliest

padmanabhan k iyer December 14, 2009 at 6:20 AM

dear mrd contact numer & gautam rastogi
first of let me thank you for your interest in savings

kindly provide with your mail id,,will give further details

provide with your contact number and address,,

thnx nregards

09821055617

BAIDYA NATH DUTTA December 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM

i want to invest in tata motors fixed deposit pl send current rate of interest in three years blocks. u can also contact me 09984494002

SUDARSHAN AGARWAL December 14, 2009 at 3:54 AM

i want to invest in tata motors fixed deposit pl send current rate of interest in three years blocks. u can also contact me 09324580117/9860109942/09960713545.approx investment 2.5 lac

Ratish Chaubey December 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Dear Sir

I want to invest in tata co.
Please call me on 9904202591 or provide your contact no urgentlly

Ratish
Hindalco Silvassa

padmanabhan k December 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

dear mr.ratish gd mrng

kindly provide with your mail id will give you details
of the plan

it wud be a great endeavour to provide you with my services

also what is amount you plan to invest

thnx n regards