There is a lot of interest in Gold ETFs these days and since I have already created an exhaustive list of gold mutual funds with their expense ratios, I thought I’d create a list of gold ETFs too. This list has ETNs also, which sound similar to ETFs but are a different product. To know more about ETNs click here.
Gold ETFs that Own Physical Gold
- SPDR Gold ETF (GLD): This fund actually holds physical gold.
- iShares Comex Gold Trust (IAU): This is a gold ETF about which I have written in the past, click here to read that post. This ETF also holds physical gold.
Gold ETFs that Own Gold Mining Stocks
- Market Vectors Gold Mining ETF (GDX): This fund holds stocks of gold mining companies from around the world.
Gold ETFs that own Future Contracts
- Powershares DB Gold Fund (DGL): This fund holds future contracts which reflect the upwards price movements of gold.
- E-Tracs CMCI Gold Total Return ETN (UBG): This is an ETN and tracks the upwards price movement of gold.
ETF Double Gold
- Proshares Ultra Gold (UGL): This fund will give you daily returns and will move double the price of gold in a day.
- Powershares DB Gold Double Long ETN (DGP): This is an ETN that moves double the gold prices.
Gold Short ETFs
- PowerShares DB Gold Short ETN (DGZ): This is an ETN that moves up when gold prices go down. So, this works like a gold short ETF where, if the price of gold moves down by 2%, this ETN will go up by 2%
- PowerShares DB Gold Double Short ETN (DZZ): This is also an ETN that moves up double the amount that gold prices go down. So, if gold prices go down by 2% this fund will move up by 4%.
ETF Gold India
- Kotak Gold ETF (KOTAKGOLD): This is Kotak’s Gold ETF that tracks the price of Gold in India. The ticker is for NSE.
- UTI Gold ETF (GOLDSHARE): This is UTIs ETF that tracks the price of gold in India. The symbol is GOLDSHARE and is for NSE
- Reliance Gold ETF (RELGOLD): This is the Reliance Gold ETF that tracks the price of gold in India and the symbol RELGOLD is for NSE.
If you are interested in gold ETFs in India in particular then this page has a list of all the Gold ETFs traded in India, and this one shows you the two year performance of gold ETFs in India.Â I did a small piece on the expense ratios of two new gold ETFs – HDFC Gold ETF, and ICICI Prudential Gold ETF, which may also be of use to you.
Other investors find the page about gold mutual funds quite useful.
84 thoughts on “List of Gold ETFs”
sir/ma’am i’m doing project of gold ETF so i have required knowledge about gold ETF as well as gold ETF company so can you send me information about gold ETF on my email id. in addition why people should invest in gold ETF rather than gold physical gold .
this is big fraud. I invested in KOTAKGOLD ETF when it was at 2400, now all of a sudden the price went down to 250. You can check the share price history in the below link.
Sir I have to know it is giving returns in intraday or its is effective in intraday
we bought uti gold etf during ipo in march/april,2007. we have now sold the same . i understand that we need to pay l.t.gain tax @10%. however, i do not recollect the ipo price . could you pl. inform me the same so as to enable me to work out the l.t.gain tax. thanks. A.S.Deshpande.
I want to invest in gold.
which is the best option ETF or via mutual fund
which would be better etf SBI or Kotak? pls answer
All gold ETFs are pretty similar in returns etc. so it shouldn’t impact that much. Go through this article to get a sense on where the market for these funds currently is at:
If we sell, do we get current gold price* units we have bought? if not then what, pls explain
The unit price is linked to the current price of gold but it isn’t exactly the same. It will be quoted on the stock exchange like the price of shares, and when you sell them you get that price.