MCD Property Tax – Calculating Tax, Online Payment, Past Payment Receipts & Other Relevant Info

by Shiv Kukreja on June 29, 2016

in Tax

I just ended up paying MCD property tax (also called house tax) for our residential property in South Delhi. As there were various links which I required to calculate the tax, make online payment, print the payment receipts and check previous years’ tax payments, I thought of writing this post to help property owners in Delhi in this process.

First of all, June 30, 2016 is the last date for availing 15% tax rebate benefit which MCD offers to the property owners in Delhi on lump sum tax payments. So, if you haven’t paid your property tax till date, do it now to avail this 15% rebate.

If you are paying your property tax for the first time, it might be a time consuming job for you. But, if you have gone through such an exercise in any of the previous years, then I think it should not take more than 5 minutes for you to do it again with the help of various links I am going to share here in this post.

3 Municipal Corporations in Delhi – As of today, Delhi has got divided into three municipalities – South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC), North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC). But, only SDMC and EDMC are allowing their residents to pay their property tax online. Due to its ongoing website maintenance work, NDMC has suspended its online payment facility for some time. But, residents falling under North MCD can still avail tax rebate by making their tax payments through the offline mode visiting the MCD office in their respective areas.

Know Your Jurisdiction – In order to calculate & pay your tax, you need to first know the municipality under which your colony falls. Here is the link to the website of MCD through which you can get to know your jurisdiction. As mentioned above, there are three municipalities in Delhi and you’ll find the list of colonies under these three zones – SDMC, NDMC and EDMC.

Calculating Property Tax – Here is the link to the Delhi Government’s website through which you can calculate and pay your property tax – Link.

Click on Calculate Your House Tax on the link pasted above and choose your municipality under which your area falls – South Delhi Municipal Corporation or East Delhi Municipal Corporation. You will find various terms & conditions listed there, which you can read if you have time to do so. Just check the T&C box there and click on the tab to pay your property tax for the current financial year 2016-17.

Property ID – For you to pay your property tax online, you need to have a Property ID or Ledger Folio Number, which gets provided by the respective municipal corporations to their residents. You can find your Property ID on your previous years’ property tax challans/receipts.

However, even if you don’t have a property id or ledger folio number, you can still pay your tax directly through these links – SDMC, NDMC and EDMC.

UPIC Cards – To make the process easier, SDMC had started allotting Unique Property Identification Codes (UPIC) to the property owners in December 2015. While making your property tax payment this year, you’ll find an additional charge of Rs. 35 for a UPIC card. These UPIC cards will be issued to you this year and get delivered to your address in the coming days.

Use Factor & Property Tax Rates – Now you need to enter your Property ID in the space provided and it will take you to the page where you need to enter your personal details and property details. Residential and self-occupied properties will attract lower tax and commercial and let out properties will attract higher tax.

Also, you’ll have to pay a higher tax if your property falls in a posh urban area as compared to a rural area. Colonies/Areas have been categorised in eight different categories, from A to H, based on their locations and amenities available around. Property owners in Category A areas will have to pay a higher property tax as compared to Category B areas and likewise.

Here are the links to find the Use Factors and Property Tax Rates as per the end use of the property and its location – SDMC, NDMC and EDMC.

Finally, the property tax you need to pay will depend on the Annual Value of your property. Here is the formula for calculating the annual value:

Annual Value = Covered Area * Unit Area Value * Age Factor * Use Factor * Structure Factor * Occupancy Factor

Don’t get intimidated with this formula. You are not required to memorise this formula or do any manual calculations. You just need to put some basic details of your property and the system will do the harder work on its own. It will calculate the annual value, the amount of rebate, online payment rebate and all other figures as soon as you provide the inputs.

30% Rebate to Senior Citizens, Women, Physically Challenged & Ex-Servicemen – There are certain tax rebates which these corporations offer to certain categories of property owners. Here is the table having those categories of property owners:

Picture2

Once the tax gets calculated, you just need to select the payment method and pay the tax and you are done. After the tax is paid, you’ll be asked to close the page as soon as possible. But, you would like to have a receipt/acknowledgement for the tax payment made. Don’t worry, here is the link to print your payment receipt – Payment Receipts Link

I hope this post makes it easy for you to pay your property tax online in Delhi. Please share it here if you have any query regarding property tax calculation or its payment or if you have any suggestion to make it an easier process for the property owners in Delhi.

Niveza India June 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM

#Niveza #Review on MCD Property Tax ::
Paying your property tax in Delhi isn’t as cumbersome or annoying as you may think it is. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), has made it really simple to make payments through their online portal. The department has been trifurcated into the North Delhi Municipal Corporation, East Delhi Municipal Corporation and South Delhi Municipal Corporation to ensure smooth and easy transactions, and to lower the burden of administration that falls on just one department.
Source :: http://goo.gl/8ouwrg

ish June 29, 2016 at 11:52 AM

i dont have ledger number
this is an old property of my parents in moti nagar allotted at the time of partition in exchange of what they left behind in pakistan( rehabilitation)
what will be the category ? group housing
the web page is not accepting and telling me to fill this column in line 1

Shiv Kukreja June 30, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hi ish,
Moti Nagar falls under Karol Bagh Zone and it should be Category E as per this link – http://mcdonline.gov.in/tri/ndmc_mcdportal/colonylist.php

You should use this link to fill your property details, Property ID is not mandatory here – http://www.mcdpropertytax.in/ptndmc/intProperty.php

Ash July 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM

I have been filing property tax online for many years since they first issued the password and property ID. First time they gave me all the property information on paper and since then I have been using the same to file tax online. Its easy and quick. I avoid going to the office and standing in line.

Gopal Verma July 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM

How can I pay previous years tax online.

Navin Chandra Nirula August 16, 2016 at 7:54 PM

I have been paying the property tax every year timely. I have received a notice from mCD that I have not paid. I have then submitted the the last 5 years receipt and am awaiting reply. But there is no responce.
How to follow up ? I am going to be 80 years and every time going to the office at Sangam Cinema is very tedius.

CAN YOU OR ANYONE GUIDE OR HELP?

SUSHIL May 24, 2017 at 11:35 AM

NOW MCD HOUSE TAX HAS STARTED A SYSTEM OF UPLOADING THE PREVIOUS RECEIPTS SINCE 2004
SCAN ALL RECEIPTS AND UPLOAD YOURSELF ONLINE

B.N. Maini July 31, 2016 at 11:53 AM

property tax receipt against 2016-17 deposited on 3.5.2016 in East Delhi is not generated.

renu August 9, 2016 at 5:16 PM

pls tell me the covered area allocated for Nizamuddin West ND, then i can fill the form. or pls help area 200sq meters, Nizamuddin WESt, built in 1968. two floors and one barsati floor with a room 10X12 appx thats all self ocupied , senior citizens, how much will the tax be per floor, or for the whole house, then i can come & meet u thanks
tel 09815328802, 9013300649

Jyoti September 26, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Someone pls help in knowing the process of how to get the house tax receipts of the last 2 financial years

vashnavi devi pandey November 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM

My name vashnavi pandey
I live in khajuri colony

shyam babu verma December 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM

to pay property tax on line for the year 2016-2017

Anchit January 1, 2017 at 6:56 PM

Thanks for your article on Delhi MCD tax payment. It was quite helpful.

I have a query and I hope if you could provide me your insights to it. One of my relative owns a property in North Delhi and due to death of the important family member, they were not able to pay property taxes for past couple of years. They tried to pay arrears online but the online portal is not showing up any Arrears. It is showing amount for current FY only.

What should they do to pay the arrears?

Anchit

vinay January 11, 2017 at 5:48 AM

I have owned my property since 2011, but need to pay property taxes for past years. How do I pay for past years. I am using the following link. It allows me to pay only for 2016-17.

Thanks.

Mrs. Uma katyal January 25, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Pl. let me know how to get Property tax receipt of F.Y 2016—2017 in respect of my residential Floor no.3 , house no. 44 ,west zone , Janakpuri, property record no. 240440511390 . UPIC no. Not yet received. Property tax of Rs. 7130/-was paid on line on 17/6/2016.

Ajay chaudhary February 3, 2017 at 2:48 AM

Help me to tax my property

N K Manku February 7, 2017 at 9:49 PM

How to pay property Tax arrears for 2 previous years for a residential builder floor purchased and registered in 2013. Property Tax has been paid for this property up to 2013-14.

vikram jeswani February 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM

How can I pay previous years tax online.

NLTanwar February 25, 2017 at 12:19 PM

I am leaving in a house of about 150 Sq.yard along with my elder brother family. The dais property is an ancestor property since 19o3. The build up area on ground flour and first flour is about 60 sq yd and 45 yard respectfully. Due to dispute between me and my brother family we could not renovate the same . Now the building is being very old more than 50 yr. and is giving us problems. Now we are planning to renovate the necessary repair to make leving condition by dividing front half to my brother family and back half to my self.

Kindly let me know the house Tax rule for both of us.

Anuj Dubey March 1, 2017 at 11:17 PM

I have paid excess payment to EDMC because they told me wrong amount and didn’t tell how to calculate house tax now they denied to refund so please could you tell me how can i get refund

AKmittal March 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM

Year 2017-18 house tax of sea flats which date deposited in paschim cigar ward 58 20.03.2017

Subir Gangopadhyay March 24, 2017 at 12:47 PM

I have paid excess payment to EDMC on line last year 2015-16 due to my own fault.Bank prove is available.Please help me how can i refund or adjust this year 2016-17 property TAX.

Subir Gangopadhyay March 24, 2017 at 12:58 PM

I have paid excess payment to EDMC on line last year 2016-17 due to my own fault.Bank prove is available.Please help me how can i refund or adjust this year 2017-18 property TAX.After received EXCESS PAYMENT MCD did not informed me. Sir kindly help me to get back my old due.THANKS .

R.R.SAXENA March 29, 2017 at 6:09 PM

I have paid property tax from 2004-05 t0 2008-09. I attempted to link my payments manually as per The BOx “Link All Your Records’ I have entered the amount and receipt No. (say, Rs 732 and 870045 respectively) but failed to enter the date of payment of tax (i.e. 14-06-2008)Because the Table does not have provision for the years earlier than 2013.Help me please to resolve this problem.

R.R.SAXENA March 29, 2017 at 6:14 PM

Please provide option of entering date prior to 20013 in the case of manual payment property tax in the box “Link All Your Records” of your Official WEbsite.

Pradeep Gupta April 2, 2017 at 12:03 PM

i am residing at laxmi nagar east delhi.. I had paid propety tax 4-5 yaer ago.. I don’t have receipt and property id? where can i find propert id?

SUSHIL May 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM

CHECK PROPERTY id ONLINE

MANOHAR LAL CHANDOK April 10, 2017 at 7:49 PM

I have got property ID of my Society Flat built about 20 years back. How to get into MCD’s website to find and fill form? Thanks. April 10, 2017.

JUG LAL May 1, 2017 at 11:03 AM

After entering property I’d my property details open up. When I try to pay I am prompted to fill area of plot under vacant land. Then I am prompted to fill constructed area under vacant land. This far it is easy as my plot area and constructed area are the same. But problem arises when I am prompted to fill vacant land use under vacant land. As I have no vacant land I am not succeeding in paying my property tax in Delhi

Ashok May 29, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Go andar and choose residential for the land use option. That does the trick.

Bhavna June 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM

I am facing similar issue even after selecting residential for the land use option. Please suggest way out.

Anita Gusain May 18, 2017 at 6:08 PM

I have a plot measuring 25.9 meters in rohini, sector 16, previous year I have paid rs. 1675 as house tax. House tax is waived off or still to pay ? Please clarify

M.AJayadevan May 19, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I have remitted my property tax on line on May15 th The amount has been debited from my a/c But no receipt is generated,

Chetan May 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM

My father had died last year and he was the owner

Currently we do not change the owner name.so can we mention new bank details or remains the older one.can we pay tax in name of my mother???

Dr M C Tiwari May 22, 2017 at 7:51 PM

UPIC card fees & postal charges Rs 35 has been charged in 2015-16 and I have already received it in Feb 2017. But again while paying on line charged Rs 35 in 2017-18.
UPIC card No 136175501620100

Mrs Rajesh Pal May 29, 2017 at 4:28 PM

I have successfully updated all receipts from 2004 till 2017 on line. Now during Amnesty Scheme I had paid huge amount in year 2009,which was for the period before 2004. How to upload that amount manual receipt. Also I paid fee for Mutation of the same our society flat property. how to upload these documents. Your reply will be appreciated.

Mahendra Pratap June 1, 2017 at 8:55 PM

I want to pay house tax for 2017-18 on line but not getting proper site or site not opening, please help. Thanks.

Anil Kumar singh June 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Paid online property tax Ra.3666/- through debit card today in r/o 2017-18. Tax receipt no. G 8- 5031508 is shown not available at your link(111.93.49.17). Any reason?

SD Mehta June 10, 2017 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for the detailed information! Quite helpful.

It is a shame though, as expected from a government department, that the website and online property tax payment system does not allow those who have paid one-time tax in the past to file their property tax online!

And I thought India had the best software minds in the world! Perhapd Delhi Govt. doesn’t !!!

Darshan Singh June 11, 2017 at 6:38 PM

I want to calculate my cusin prperty tax who deposited his property tax manully for the year 2004-05,2005-06,2006-07 ,2007-08 , 2008-09 , 2009 10 ,.-2010-11 and 2011-12 1n 2011.
location is krishna nagar 3rd floor ,safdar jang enclave cvered area 124.15 sq m .owner mail age 42

Pran Mattoo June 13, 2017 at 8:27 PM

I am trying to pay property tax online but no site is opening properly and hence not able to make the payment. I have tried many a times but could not make. Today also tried four times but nothing happened.
Is there any issue with the online payment sites. Is there any quick way to
pay online . Kindly advice.

Jubin Thomas June 17, 2017 at 12:59 PM

I didn’t pay the tax of previous year 2016-17. How can it be paid online again. What is the method?

SURJEET CHOPRA June 26, 2017 at 7:35 PM

Sir

I have not paid ndmc property tax for 2016-17, ow can I pay knoe, generate challan…..

Vipan Agrawal June 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM

How can I get my Demand collection Register Number

Pranab Kumar Basu June 18, 2017 at 9:17 PM

I have paid house Tax of Rs.802.59 on line through my Credit Card on 26.05.17 to EDMC as per the demand in the form but could not generate any receipt as right click is not allowed. I do not my property ID as it is not available in earlier receipts as so far I had been paying through cheque.
My House No. is : SFS Flat 22B, Pocket C, Mayur Vihar Phase III, Delhi-110096.
Kindly send a receipt.
Pranab Kumar Basu.
Mb. No: 9891744544

Pranab Kumar Basu June 18, 2017 at 9:24 PM

I have paid house Tax of Rs.802.59 on line through my Credit Card on 26.05.17 to EDMC as per the demand in the form but could not generate any receipt as right click is not allowed. I do not know my property ID as it is not available in earlier receipts as so far I had been paying through cheque.
My House No. is : SFS Flat 22B, Pocket C, Mayur Vihar Phase III, Delhi-110096.
Kindly send a receipt.
Pranab Kumar Basu.
Mb. No: 9891744544

Krishan Sanghi June 22, 2017 at 12:04 PM

I have paid tax in few years while skipped few in between. How can we get the tax calculated for past years and pay now.

hari om prasad garg June 24, 2017 at 10:50 AM

I have paid Rs.50/- last time for UPIC CARD but Card has not been received till date.Kindly arrange to send the card.
Property ID-200323103860
Address-174,Surya Apartment,
Sec.-6,Plot-14,Dwarka,New Delhi-110075

Ashish Arora June 25, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Please tell me Is there any rebate for women before 2004?

JAY KAY PRODUCTS June 28, 2017 at 5:31 PM

sir i want to know the details of property tax no 170022101910plz send the detail year wise E-149 sec -3 Bawana Industrial Area delhi 110039 up to which year we have filed send the detail year wise thx

Jai Prakash June 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM

I am filling the house/property tax on line for the last 5 years. I misplaced the receipts of these. Can you suggest how i can get the receipts again which were generated on line.

Amit Nagyal June 30, 2017 at 4:13 PM

I went to the MCD website and paid the property tax through their payment gateway for 2017-2018 on 30-June-2017. The amount was also deducted however I did not get any reference number and receipt is also not available. I have logged a complaint on their website and have been given a reference number. I don’t know what to do now since today was the last date of paying for this year.

Ashok Suri July 1, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Payment of Rs.5358/- of house for the year 2017-18 has been made on line on 30.06.2017 after 0600 pm to SDMC, however on asking for receipt the site of sdmc shows receipt not available. The payment was made through credit card. Please guide what to do have the receipt of payment

Tinku Dasgupta July 7, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Dear Sir/madam,
i have made two payments through online credit card via payu.in
I did not get any receipts for the payment.
payU Id. 6246740810 Bank ref.201704766775 Rs. 520/- dt 28.6.2017
Payu Id 6245173556 bank ref.201708718114 Rs. 520.00 Dt 29.6.2017
Property Ref. ID 175115198510
Please let me know
Mob 9953521204

Tinku Dasgupta July 7, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Kindly rectify the problem soon

Pooja July 19, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Very useful information. Thank you

By mistake last year I paid twice, and got a letter confirming receipt of both amounts. The relevant authority has confirmed that the extra amount will be used to set off the 2017-18 payment – except that I cant find any such online option for adjustment of extra paid previously.

How do I adjust this previously paid amount and pay the remaining balance due to square off current accounts?

Please advise.